Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your opinion here! Do you think he's really an expert and his words should be taken seriously, or is he an idiot who somehow got a cushy job blathering about a sport he knows nothing about and we should ridicule every statement her makes?

·
Momomental
8,576 Posts
I think the truth is somewhere in between but this would have made an interesting poll!

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
Rtael said:
Post your opinion here! Do you think he's really an expert and his words should be taken seriously, or is he an idiot who somehow got a cushy job blathering about a sport he knows nothing about and we should ridicule every statement her makes?
Expert == a person who knows more about tennis than me. So, yes, he is expert and almost everyone else in this board. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I enjoy his column. He is far more knowledgeable about tennis than most sports journalists, and has his own take on things. He can be a little hard on players sometimes.

I would put him much closer to expert than joke.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Sanneriet said:
I enjoy his column. He is far more knowledgeable about tennis than most sports journalists, and has his own take on things. He can be a little hard on players sometimes.

I would put him much closer to expert than joke.
My thoughts exactly. :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
He wont be in that position if he is a joke???
I'm not an idiot in tennis but I'm not there, so he is still better than me coz he have that power to write on CNN sports colums.

We might dont agree with his views sometimes but theres always three side of any story, my view, your view and the truth!!!! and none of them is wrong.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
expert. and he does he job well. hes a writer... his job is to write what he knows about while still invoking emotions/reactions in the reader... which he seems to know how to do. just cos a person disagrees with you, doesnt necessarily make them an idiot.

·
Premium Member
20,741 Posts
I think he writes well, and he does know what he is talking about. However he can be a little harsh, but I guess it comes with the job.

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
I'd call him trying to be an "Expert Joker" ;)

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Keep in mind that SI isn't a tennis magazine, but a general sports publication and thus Wertheim is probably writing for people who know something about a dozen current WTA players @ most. His job is to make the game and players interesting to that "general sports audience". In that he succeeds quite well. Do I disagree with some of his "technical analysis", sure. Is he paid to write for people who can compare the games (and sometimes lives) of dozens of female players, no way. So in effect this thread is like a class of seniors sitting in on a sophmore class and "rating" the professor as if he was teaching other seniors.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Well...he's clever enough to get alot his
material from our forum- WTAworld.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I don't understand how someone writes a weekly mailbag and could only get to five or six questions. It is not that hard to answer mail. He even goes as far to include a siblings shit that is used to take up space . Maybe if he added more letters in that space.

For a tennis reporter for cnnsi, you'd think the guy can add more articles than just a once a week thing. It's as if there is no news until the week is done.
He always complain that his laptop battery is dying after answering only those five questions...what da fuck are you doing with the computer besides work ( on company time).

His indepth articles are sometimes worth as much as a James Blair exclusive. The news on the site that he represent is the same shit as ESPN.COM/tennis.

He never have a constant time for the column to be uploaded. It's as if he is rushing to finish it and when it is uploaded, five questions....ok maybe six. What was he doing for the last six days? And then to say that he will be on vacation the next week?
What kinda work ethnic is that?

Maybe he doesn't know how to type and it takes him a hell of a time to write the weekly recap. Will he go to Grand Slams to cover the stories behind the scenes, probably will but he'd bring back a printed report instead of emailing it in to be uploaded. Two weeks later it won't matter much.

He is suspect. I think that CNNSI need to investigate his credibility, cos it sounds like somebody from wta world.com has been writing his shit. The tennis world doesn't need a James Blair............He need to seriously get his shit together.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have so much more to say bout his ass it's not funny. He need to sit down and speak to his bosses bout having more control over the site and then he need to seriously read cbssportsline......maybe he'd get a clue on how to be creative with a site........I need to seriously stop hating.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rebecca said:
Wertheim is just dandy, and unless one of you is planning on opening a site where I can read some other weekly tennis commentary, then he'll just have to do.

Hey, I'll volunteer!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts