Tennis Forum banner

3841 - 3854 of 3854 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Playing Palermo next month, surprised she didn't enter any of the LTA tournaments to prepare.
We have to trust Jo and her team to make the best strategic decisions for her career, which is in all our (GB's) interests. So, Palermo would be the start of her (competitive) preparations for whatever the pro season has to offer.

As for the LTA , they haven't really offered events appropriate to Jo's standing as GB's highest ranked player (by some distance) playing at her peak. Perhaps Jamie Murray's so called "Best of the Brits" event was a missed opportunity to showcase the strength and depth of GB's men, women and wheelchair tennis athletes?

But I agree, as a fan, I miss seeing her in action.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Opting for the clay of Europe might be a better bet than playing in the USA at the moment. From what has been seen of the LTA womens event not surprised Jo did not enter it. Not exactly on the scale of Jamie Murray's excellent event

·
Registered
30 Posts
Opting for the clay of Europe might be a better bet than playing in the USA at the moment. From what has been seen of the LTA womens event not surprised Jo did not enter it. Not exactly on the scale of Jamie Murray's excellent event
Top GB men, top GB women, full BBC coverage, outdoors, grass, Eastbourne, seagulls and sunshine... would have been idyllic? Probably wouldn't have fit in with training programmes but hey, we can but dream!

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have to trust Jo and her team to make the best strategic decisions for her career, which is in all our (GB's) interests. So, Palermo would be the start of her (competitive) preparations for whatever the pro season has to offer.

As for the LTA , they haven't really offered events appropriate to Jo's standing as GB's highest ranked player (by some distance) playing at her peak. Perhaps Jamie Murray's so called "Best of the Brits" event was a missed opportunity to showcase the strength and depth of GB's men, women and wheelchair tennis athletes?

But I agree, as a fan, I miss seeing her in action.
I don't think you can blame the LTA for the multiple injury withdrawals, all the top GB players had entered the Progress Tour Women's Championships at some stage apart from Konta and Bains (presumably stuck in Australia). It's not as if there are many alternatives at present.

Jamie Murray is holding another team event involving the women at the end of the month, perhaps Konta will take part this time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
... the top GB players had entered the Progress Tour Women's Championships at some stage apart from Konta and Bains (presumably stuck in Australia). It's not as if there are many alternatives at present.

Jamie Murray is holding another team event involving the women at the end of the month, perhaps Konta will take part this time....
Sue Barker asked Jo and Heather what their plans were, on her Wimbledon show. Heather mentioned the Progress event but I recall, Jo saying she was concentrating on training for clay, giving us a clue as to her intentions. In any case, the Progress Tour is designed to give a boost and prize money to players outside of the top 100, not for top 20 players?

Jamie's HC team event is scheduled a week before the WTA kick off their tour on clay in Palermo, where Jo is entered?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
:devilish::devilish::geek::devilish:
Sue Barker asked Jo and Heather what their plans were, on her Wimbledon show. Heather mentioned the Progress event but I recall, Jo saying she was concentrating on training for clay, giving us a clue as to her intentions. In any case, the Progress Tour is designed to give a boost and prize money to players outside of the top 100, not for top 20 players?

Jamie's HC team event is scheduled a week before the WTA kick off their tour on clay in Palermo, where Jo is entered?
I recall Jo saying she had been practising on clay courts for 5 weeks and was now practising on hard courts. Looking at the playing conditions for the Progress tour they don't look appropriate for a top 20 player.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jamie Murray is holding another team event involving the women at the end of the month, perhaps Konta will take part this time.
I've often wondered why GB doesn't host more international ATP & WTA pro tournaments and on surfaces other than grass (ie clay, indoor HC?). Germany does. We have the audiences (eg Wimbledon, O2, Fed & Davis Cup ties) and I'm sure the likes of Murray AND Konta would be very supportive, as indeed they are during the grass court season.

In particular, women's tennis these days, is much more exciting and entertaining than its public perception, as anyone who saw Fed Cup at the Copper Box Arena would testify (sadly not covered by BBC TV?).

Building on Konta's, Watson's, Boulter's and Dart's successes and some exciting looking "next gen" hopefuls, with the right promotion and leadership from the LTA and GB media, plus more free to view TV coverage (BBC?), women's tennis has the greatest potential for spectator growth and the WTA certainly needs more tournaments.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Reported that Jo has begun a trial period with Thomas Hogstedt one of the best known coaches in womens tennis. She has parted amicably with Dimitri Zavialoff because the Frenchman is unable to travel as much as needed.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I listened to Jo's podcast with Sue Barker and really enjoyed it. She had done her research on Sue's career and ensured the interview followed logically. Also found out 2 facts about Sue I didn't know before.

3841 - 3854 of 3854 Posts