Tennis Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3819 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well, this year was a remarkable success.

I guess next year will be all about the Olympics.

Should have won the French Open IMO ( Won't get a better chance like thar ever again, Barty one of the weaker top players)
Pressure at Wimbledon is just too much
Game plan at the USO vs Svitolina was all wrong, coach to blame on this one.

Firstly regarding Svitolina at least it was against the one top 10 player she has never beaten. Secondly since Wimbledon which finished for her on 9th July it means in 3 months she will have played the princely sum of 3 tournaments and 7 matches. Still no reason given yet for withdrawing from Beijing. There's been no entries for her social media accounts since her US Open ended.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
If she had played them both and done well, getting to the WTA finals would have been possible and the points and money there is second only to the slams. Unless she's injured it seems a strange decision.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: Johanna Konta !!

No Asian swing for Jo Konta this year. She never entered Wuhan, and has withdrawn from Beijing due to “slight knee pain.”
So her slim chances of qualifying for the WTA Finals are over.

https://twitter.com/russellcfuller/status/1173879482358345728?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that explains that then. Wuhan entry was prior to the US Open taking place. Whatever the knee problem it did not stop her playing 5 matches at the US Open including the hard fought win over Ka. Pliskova. I think entry into Beijing is compulsory and then withdraw if ill/injured. As it was she'd be flying out to Beijing for just 1 tournament. I wonder what reasons Jo and Ash Barty gave for missing Nottingham?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Feel sorry for BT Sport, whose coverage deserved to go out with a British entrant at the WTA Finals, especially since Konta was robbed a couple of times by late injuries and absolute fluke runs from the likes of Garcia.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Whether she actually plays or not is a different matter but Jo is on the entry list for Moscow. However could well understand if she doesn't play again this year and sorts knee trouble out.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Whether she actually plays or not is a different matter but Jo is on the entry list for Moscow. However could well understand if she doesn't play again this year and sorts knee trouble out.
I made this comment nearly a month ago and now wonder if Jo has a knee problem which needs sorting out before she plays again. A knee problem doesn't seem the type that will recover within a week. Remember Kyle had some ongoing knee problem last year. Is Jo's knee problem now, the result of wear and tear over the years of playing on the circuit?

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Re: Johanna Konta !!

Yeah it seems she played USO with the knee problem so when do they started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I hope she is okay for Zhuhai, that's a useful extra for her, if she's fit for it. She can then have a decent break till the start of the 2020 season.

She seems to be quite sensible about pulling out if she needs to, so I don't think anyone will be surprised if she decides she needs to miss it.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
She's on the usp of the top 10 and with not many points to defend before the end of the year and she pulls out of a P5 and a PM where there are al ot of points (not to mention £s) at stake. I know she hasn't done well at either in the last couple of years but in 2016 she got the QFs of Wuhan and the Final of Beijing and the year before she got to the QF of Beijing. It seems crazy to me.
Not as crazy as it seemed after the knee problem was revealed. Obviously been going on for sometime with the lack of tournament entries since Wimbledon. One really pessimistic comment here but is a knee problem a potential career ending injury?

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Not as crazy as it seemed after the knee problem was revealed. Obviously been going on for sometime with the lack of tournament entries since Wimbledon. One really pessimistic comment here but is a knee problem a potential career ending injury?
The lack of information coming from her camp hasn't helped. Many players are happy to keep their fans informed when they have an injury but Jo's communications can be sparse at the best of times.

It doesn't have to be, it depends on the injury and on the person concerned - some people heal better than others. Bethanie Mattek, for example, came back from a very serious knee injury and has just won Beijing. The fact that Jo is talking about hopefully returning for Zuhai suggests that it's not career threatening.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The lack of information coming from her camp hasn't helped. Many players are happy to keep their fans informed when they have an injury but Jo's communications can be sparse at the best of times.

It doesn't have to be, it depends on the injury and on the person concerned - some people heal better than others. Bethanie Mattek, for example, came back from a very serious knee injury and has just won Beijing. The fact that Jo is talking about hopefully returning for Zuhai suggests that it's not career threatening.
Most of Jo's communications of late such as they are relate to promoting Radley Handbags. Prior to that it was cake making activities. We haven't even seen much of Bono lately. Is the number of followers on twitter a relevant number and do people still follow people who may no longer be relevant? Laura Robson has 368k. followers, Heather Watson 172k. and Jo 104k. But since 2013 Laura has done nothing result wise on the WTA main tour to interest any follower. Heather and Jo are at least relevant present day players. Re knee problems it may not be wise but I thought Elina Svitolina has been playing for most of 2019 with a knee issue.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Apart from Heather closing her season , Mike Dickson in Daily Mail writes Jo is another for whom the season may be over as she has pulled out of this week's Kremlin Cup in Moscow after failing to recover from a knee injury. In the context of last week some of Jo's defeats in tournaments excluding the Grand Slams after the French Championships don't seem too bad. Peterson won Tianjin after beating Jabeur in a hard fought semi final and Ostapenko was runner up in Linz.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Paullow confirmed(via the WTA website) on the General Forum Jo is not playing Zhuhai. You could wish Jo provided a few more relevant comments on twitter or instagram. Perhaps her agent should tell her that ! As far as Zhuhai is concerned other players have pulled out with various ailments. One wonders why the event is actually staged.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Paullow confirmed(via the WTA website) on the General Forum Jo is not playing Zhuhai. You could wish Jo provided a few more relevant comments on twitter or instagram. Perhaps her agent should tell her that ! As far as Zhuhai is concerned other players have pulled out with various ailments. One wonders why the event is actually staged.
I can understand that Jo is quite a private person and doesn't relish the limelight as some players do, but if you want the benefits of being a top player (and they are very considerable) you do have to accept that people will be interested in what is happening in your life, especially when it affects your tennis career.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Judging by her post today it looks like Jo is about to go on holiday. Photo with Bono and caption "caught starting you holiday with a nap. " And advertising Elesse at the same time.

3721 - 3740 of 3819 Posts