Tennis Forum banner

How would you feel about Konta, born and bred Aussie, winning a slam representing GBR

• Would love to see her win a slam for Great Britain

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • I would feel uncomfortable as she's Australian

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 28 35.0%
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would feel if she won Wimbledon or any Slam?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Almost everything about Konta annoys me. Her ball bouncing in particular means I can't watch any match of hers. I don't want her to win a slam because I'd never be able to escape her! :lol:

·
Banned
446 Posts
Konta being actually Hungarian, her both parents are immigrants from Hungary to Australia.

But Konta is not Australian at all. I mean by tennis, although she started when she was 8 and Australia trained her until she was 14. Imo, she's more the product of the Barcelona Academy and of the British tennis. She grew up in Britain.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would be offended as her tennis is basic and ugly.

Reactions: chef-d'œuvre

·
Registered
100 Posts
Konta is no more British than Mo Farah and others. She is Hungarian as per her parents and was playing under the Australian flag only a few years ago. It is shameful of Great Britain to want to claim her as one of theirs, nor should it be allowed.

No, I do not want Konta to win Wimbledon. I would rather Serena win it for the hundredth time.

Konta's game is horrible to watch... from the hacking away at the ball whenever her opponent is able to return the serve, the Djokovic-esque ball bouncing, the robotic walk she does between points... and she is painfully mundane to listen to in her interviews. She is one of those players who makes people like Kyrgios seem more appealing.

I am hoping for a depressed and gloomy Centre Court tomorrow. I will revel in the disappointment.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I would love to see her win it. Jo doing well is great for tennis in this country, as shown by the large viewing figures vs Halep in the quarter final 2 years ago, and if she meets Serena in the semi final then the viewing figures will be off the charts. She's also one of very few top end players who are always available for Fed Cup, and she is clearly proud to represent Great Britain.

Her upbringing will naturally put off some people unfortunately, and some will never accept her as a British athlete, but these situations occur in all sports - I certainly have no problem with Raheem Sterling, arguably our best footballer, representing England. I hate cricket, but half of the England team were born elsewhere, or at least they were a few years ago when I checked. In rugby, Tuilagi came here at a similar age, 13, and there's many other born and raised in the Southern hemisphere representing England, but I suppose it's not as obvious when it's a team sport and not individual.

I personally would be happy for anyone with British links, whether that be simply living here for 5-10 years, like Bolkvadze, or having a British parent, to represent GBR, and the better Jo does, the more chance the sport will grow, because outside of her, there's pretty much nothing at consistent WTA level and unless Boulter can stay injury/illness free, there won't be anything for quite some time.

Go Jo!

·
Banned
446 Posts
Not fan at all. Thats even before going into being fake brit. A Hungarian who grew up in Australia
Andrescu is Romanian or Canadian? Canadian I would say. Even though also both of her parents are from Central Europe.

Of course, if Andrescu would skip being Canadian and if she would represent Romania she would be a deserveful Romanian. But differently she's a lot Canadian.

Regarding Konta the situation is a little bit different but not that different. Konta is not Hungarian anymore.

Konta is no more British than Mo Farah and others. She is Hungarian as per her parents and was playing under the Australian flag only a few years ago. It is shameful of Great Britain to want to claim her as one of theirs, nor should it be allowed.
As far she's not born in Hungary and doesn't represent Hungary, she's British or Australian but not Hungarian. But if you are Hungarian, I understand you.

·
Premium Member
11,662 Posts
I love Konta and would love for her to win a slam.

As for the comments about her technical game, I think people have just heard the criticisms, seen the ball bounce and just decided that is always the criticism of a few years ago regardless of how she plays and they criticise because she does better than many posters favs. Anyone can notice that Konta's game has changed a bit. When on song there is little mechanical about her game these days and it flows superbly. She also has been involved in some great matches.

Konta's backhand is excellent, her serve is a thing of beauty and today she produced an excellent drop shot that looked superb. Where it goes wrong is when she loses her timing or attempts something artificial like her ill judged drop shots when she's in two minds.

·
Banned
446 Posts
Konta's game is horrible to watch... from the hacking away at the ball whenever her opponent is able to return the serve, the Djokovic-esque ball bouncing, the robotic walk she does between points... and she is painfully mundane to listen to in her interviews. She is one of those players who makes people like Kyrgios seem more appealing.

I am hoping for a depressed and gloomy Centre Court tomorrow. I will revel in the disappointment.
I totally agree. I also feel Djokovic's game lacks technicity. Their volleys are the same, they worked a lot to connect them. But they don't connect them from natural talent. They are pretty ugly for some tennis players. Novak is clearly highly superior to Konta, but sometimes Konta's shots are more attractive to be honest. When she's not missing a lot, at least she's going after winners. Djokovic is a like a mobile wall..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Regarding Konta the situation is a little bit different but not that different. Konta is not Hungarian anymore.

As far she's not born in Hungary and doesn't represent Hungary, she's British or Australian but not Hungarian. But if you are Hungarian, I understand you.
As far as I'm concerned, where you are born is neither here nor there. The blood in your veins is all that counts. If Hsieh Su-wei or Li Na were born in Britain would they be British? Moreover, if Konta was born in China (or grew up in China or whatever...) would the Chinese people consider her one of theirs?

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
This thread....

Why exclude non-British posters from a thread in GM? There is the Strawberries and Cream forum and even then, don't exclude non-British posters.

Also, people should be able to play for whatever country they want, especially if they've lived in that country for a signifcant period of their life. Jo has described the UK as the "place she grew up". She has a British accent (you can sometimes hear as aussie twang a bit). But nationality is often not clearcut these days, considering how easy international travel has become. Yeah..this thread is all kinds of lame.

·
I quite like her. The only thing I don't like about her is how she's susceptible to having tantrums and moaning a lot to the umpire. That's just from my experience of watching her anyway.

·
Banned
446 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, where you are born is neither here nor there. The blood in your veins is all that counts. If Hsieh Su-wei or Li Na were born in Britain would they be British? Moreover, if Konta was born in China (or grew up in China or whatever...) would the Chinese people consider her one of theirs?
If she would have felt Hungarian, she would have represented Hungary. The same with Australia. For me she's British. If I would be in her situation, and if I would feel really Hungarian, I would switch for Hungary.

The same is with Andrescu, why doesn't she represent Romania? I bet even if they give her 1 million maybe she doesn't want to. Maybe she feels more Canadian although she could be a lot connected to Romania.

There are many ethnics born in different countries than their native nation, and they don't even feel something for the blood of their parents. I mean massively at least.

For me, your country is where you grew up, not many feel differently just if they were indoctrinated heavily. Of course you can also respect your tradition. Think of the Jews in America. And many of them were close to the Jewish traditions, but most of them wouldn't go to live in Israel and say they are Americans or Jewish American.

If Konta also grew up in Britain and if she feels British, this means she's British. Not mercenary.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
There's a Dutch junior called Melissa Boyden who was born in England and has British parents, but she moved to Holland as a baby and grew up there. To some of the previous posters that would make her absolutely British, yet there's not one reference to Britain on her social media and she's clearly proud of her Dutch upbringing and she has every right to be. Whether she switches in future, depending on how her career goes, remains to be seen, but where you grew up is a huge factor, not just your parents.

·
Registered
100 Posts
...I would switch for Hungary
There should be no option to 'switch'. Makes a mockery of the whole thing. In Konta's case, she has 'switched' multiple times. Who knows... maybe she will take a liking to another country next year and switch again.

Many Indians and Africans born in Britain even at first generation, they feel very British. And sometimes they are better citizens than Nigel Farage.
Sometimes I feel very Italian when I don my apron to make my speciality vermicelli pasta salad at home, but I will never be Italian or play for Italy. Not even if I move there and live there for 20 years first.

There's a Dutch junior called Melissa Boyden who was born in England and has British parents, but she moved to Holland as a baby and grew up there. To some of the previous posters that would make her absolutely British, yet there's not one reference to Britain on her social media and she's clearly proud of her Dutch upbringing and she has every right to be. Whether she switches in future, depending on how her career goes, remains to be seen, but where you grew up is a huge factor, not just your parents.
In that case, she is British. Not hard to understand really.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
So I guess I'm Irish, Scottish, Danish Angolan instead of Australian? Stupidity. Nationality is not ethnicity.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
In that case, she is British. Not hard to understand really.
Yep, you said, as far as you're concerned. Slightly more ambiguous to others though.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This thread....

Why exclude non-British posters from a thread in GM? There is the Strawberries and Cream forum and even then, don't exclude non-British posters.

Also, people should be able to play for whatever country they want, especially if they've lived in that country for a signifcant period of their life. Jo has described the UK as the "place she grew up". She has a British accent (you can sometimes hear as aussie twang a bit). But nationality is often not clearcut these days, considering how easy international travel has become. Yeah..this thread is all kinds of lame.
Firstly, what a bizarre post, Konta is currently representing Britain, her nationality/representation of Britain is a very contentious one, and I wanted to know what most British posters on here actually think, what would it matter to me what non British posters would think on an issue revolving around a British player, as it's not their concern and are highly unlikely to care as it doesn't affect them.

Also, when you say she said Britain is where she grew up, it's like you just came down in the last shower. Of course she is going to describe it as the place she grew up, she is clearly pandering to the British public, what else is she suppose to say "I grew up in Australia" instead? she claimed residency here at 14 because her parents moved here, as soon as she landed she flew off to an academy in Spain then came back for LTA to claim her around aged 15/16, you don't suddenly develop an accent that late, it's a put on accent to maker her more acceptable to the public, which is understandable but fake, it's a simple question doesn't require anything else other than a tick in the poll box.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts