Tennis Forum banner

3321 - 3341 of 3358 Posts

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,807 Posts
No, when i work in summer time for 21 years i only had that one free summer day off, and still i never go on vacation more than i this year was away 3 days for male tennis and that one day last week, gå ud til sommerhus området og holde ferie er ikke lige mig. :)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I had planned some Europen city trips this summer and autumn (London, Berlin, Prague, Stockholm, Oslo, Paris, Barcelona and such). Not all of these cities, but just improvise whenever there were cheap airplane tickets available. And just spend one or two nights there. But I will now stay in Denmark this summer because of the corona-situation. A "Tour avoid the world", if you like.

There are several small islands in Denmark, 80 or so inhabited. This July all ferries in Denmark are free (except Bornholm, and except cars) because the government wants to get the tourism and economy going again. Furthermore there was a limited amount of very cheap public transport tickets available for the summer. For instance to travel freely in the entire Denmark for 8 days (bus, train, Metro, S-train) for just 40€! So this is an excellent opportunity to see some parts of Denmark I've never visited before. Most museums, theme parks, castles, zoos are also 50% off this summer. So there's no excuse not staying in Denmark. Nothing is planned yet except we got some of those cheap 8-day tickets. But we will spend some nights at hotels, inns, hostels or bed-and-breakfasts and spend some money at resturants and such. That's the whole idea. The bill for all these cheap or free tickets will eventually be paid by us taxpayers anyway, so I might as well do what I'm supposed to do to help kick-start our economy again.

There are some concerns re. travelling in trains or busses for extended time but Denmark is a small country and travel times are not very long. And there are still regulations re. public transport, for instance that seat reservations are mandatory to avoid overcrowded trains. Denmark is testing a lot, actually one of the countries with most tests per capita, yet there aren't many new cases each day (17 yesterday), so we should be relatively safe.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,332
Btw, from when i was 17 year old, loong time ago! I work on building new homes for 3 year, so i stopped as it was hard for my back. Good luck with your new house jolafan.
Thanks, Jorn! Yeah I don't think that would be a pleasant job to do long-term. :)

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
I had planned some Europen city trips this summer and autumn (London, Berlin, Prague, Stockholm, Oslo, Paris, Barcelona and such). Not all of these cities, but just improvise whenever there were cheap airplane tickets available. And just spend one or two nights there. But I will now stay in Denmark this summer because of the corona-situation. A "Tour avoid the world", if you like.
(...)
I've been thinking a bit about the 'Avoid the World' thing - the general question of domestic vs. foreign travel. (A loud voice in my head is stomping its feet at calling inter-Scandinavian travel 'foreign', or worse 'international'). Anyway, we have to avoid overnight stays in Sweden because of Man's work situation. He simply can't afford to flaunt the quarantine rules, or else things will get very complicated. (I can in theory; I'm home-based). But actually, I wouldn't feel particularly scared at the thought of staying at a Swedish campsite or cabin, except in areas like Gällivare with extreme infection rates. I'm more worried about like ferries with a lot of surfaces like handles and handrails that a lot of people touch ... [adds cotton gloves to pack list] ... and cafeterias and such.

I guess, generally speaking, the danger of venturing out depends as much on how you behave as where you go. For example, when we stay at campsites (which is nearly always; kiddo doesn't like camping in the wild) we typically use the community kitchen facilities. We always bring a Trangia (storm kitchen with ethanol burner) because that's what we have, but it's usually easier to use the facilities at the campsite. But we're considering getting a second burner so we can comfortably cook at our own "lot" and avoid the community facilities. It may be a small thing, but it just feels safer that way.

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
In extremely stupid - but peripherally tennis-related news (in Swedish) - a bunch of Swedish influencers are being criticised for partying in Båstad like they're all immune to the corona virus. They have these party events every year during the tennis week; Båstad is "the place to be seen" for that crowd. This year they went ahead with the party events, despite the cancellation of the ATP tournament... not to mention the frigging corona virus.
Morons. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Doesn't seem like a replay of this event is up yet. But this reminded me, Falkenberg TK is where Jo won her first pro tournament. Her final opponent was Sofia, here's a report.

A pic from the tourney's archived page:

She also won the doubles with Mari Andersson:

3321 - 3341 of 3358 Posts