Tennis Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 3358 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I find it cool that Bella Larsson is from Åmål - or at least plays for Åmål TK. I think this is the only time I've heard about this town besides the great film "Fucking Åmål" (Show Me Love in English)!

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
I find it cool that Bella Larsson is from Åmål - or at least plays for Åmål TK. I think this is the only time I've heard about this town besides the great film "Fucking Åmål" (Show Me Love in English)!
I like your taste in films - F-cking Åmål and Lilya 4-ever are some of my favourites. I've driven through Åmål a couple of times - it's on the E45 - but not sure we ever stopped there. But I definitely recognised the name.

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
They plays on Båstad CC today, they did not yesterday, noget at gøre med vandings forbud i Båstad...
Something about ongoing drought problems in the area - not just Båstad, but the whole municipality/county. They can't use tap water (drinking water) for watering the courts, but they're welcome to use water from the harbour.

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
Happy summer, y'all!
We're now seriously considering this "Tour de Avoid Sweden" - a couple of days in Lofoten, then the northern way around Sweden and into Finland. (We can't enter Finland via Sweden, we have to go around it). A couple of days in Oulu (best beach in Scandinavia!) and then down to Åland. We can do it this way (clockwise, as indicated) if we don't stay overnight in Sweden at any point. It feels quite weird to have to avoid Sweden like this; the route is a nonsensical detour otherwise, but generally speaking nothing in Sweden makes sense these days...
We're still two weeks away from Abfahrt but so far nobody has come up with a better idea!
:)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
No, I love it. It looks like a really nice trip. I spent 10 days or so in Finland in the 90's with two friends. We went from Copenhagen through Sweden and sailed from Sundsvall to Vaasa. Then spent some time just north of the Polar circle (maybe 100 km north of Kemijärvi). We had planned to continue to either Nordkapp or Kirkenes (or both) but we skipped this part when we realised how far north we had to go and how long our drive home to Denmark would be. We basically ran out of time and would have needed a few more days to realise this little extension. But it was a great summer, very, very hot (in july/August). And not many mosquitos.

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
Ok, great! There are many more chapters in the planning saga!
Basically, we want to go to northern Norway - possibly Lofoten, maybe Troms - but we'd rather not drive the exact same way back - that's boring. Normally we'd just go one way through Sweden, but that's not an option this year. (*possible loophole, see below). The Copenhagen stop is for family reasons, although it could be a separate trip. But it became a fun challenge to find an alternative way back from northern Norway to Denmark - one that is actually allowed and won't result in 3x 14 days of quarantine. :)

If things go according to plan - and that's not a given these days - we'll drive right by Johanna's new hometown of Jonstorp on the Dk-Norway stretch. (See, I'm keeping things Johanna-related!). As I mentioned in the previous post we can't stay overnight in Sweden without having to quarantine. But there is only ~400 km between Norway and Denmark along the E6 on the west coast of Sweden, so this should be fine.
But I have a few concerns about the Åland to Denmark stretch. First there is the ferry itself (Åland to Sweden), which takes around 3 hours, plus 2 hours early arrival. This may change, but the number of daily departures is quite limited at the moment and a mid-afternoon ferry may be the only option. Then we'd have to drive the 700 km to Denmark in one go. It's doable, but it's going to be a long day and night.

I just found out that there is one region in Sweden - Västerbotten - that is not considered dangerous, according to Denmark. It's in the northern third of Sweden, cf. map below. I suppose we could make it from northern Sweden to Denmark with an overnight stop in Västerbotten, but it's like 1200 km. That's going to take just as long as the Åland-Dk option. And after all, this was supposed to be a vacation, not just a drive.

So... I'm not entirely sure about the full round trip. Maybe it's just a bit too long, and we should split it in two. It's under consideration. Luckily we don't have to make up our minds right now. :)

The long trip from Åland to Dk, two different ferry options.

The short trip Dk-Norway, just ~400 km in Sweden.

Västerbotten - the part of Sweden that is not dangerous, according to Denmark (only).

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It's a very long trip - especially the leg from Finland to Denmark in one go. It's a vacation, not just a drive as you put it. But things my change re. Sweden/Denmark restrictions. Be sure to stay updated! I will follow the evolvement of your journey.

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
I don't have anything to add, other than to say this is fascinating :)
I'm not sure I've ever done this much planning ahead of a trip before. At least not a trip of this kind, and certainly not this kind of planning. :) I mean, the reason we keep doing these kind of trips is because we like that it usually involves minimum planning and booking. We can just pack and go, and we don't have to stick to a schedule or a plan. (Like that one year where we aimed for Öland (SE Sweden) but ended up in Kiruna (N Sweden) because we didn't like Öland...).

But these days I have memorised that Estonia and Latvia operate with a 15 per 100k infection rate limit for entry (,*) and Lithuania with a 25 per 100k rate limit (***) after checking with the ministries of foreign affairs. I had to, because I was looking into the option of sailing from Sweden to Lithuania and Estonia-Finland. (Result: not possible, no loopholes for quick transits through Sweden). I've also looked up the fastest ways to get through Sweden in one go. (It's a long ass country!). We're OK with one or two long days of driving, like if we simply have to make it through Sweden because rules, then so be it.

Distances through Sweden:

Various ferry connections:

*From the Estonian Ministry of Foreign affairs:

The compulsory self-isolation for people arriving in Estonia depends on whether the relative coronavirus infection rate in their country of departure where they have spent at least 14 days before departure is above 15. This means that no more than 15 people per 100 000 inhabitants are infected in the passenger’s country of departure in the past 14 days. Anyone arriving in Estonia from a country with a higher infection rate must self-isolate for two weeks on arrival.

**From the Latvian Ministry of Foreign affairs:

Since 3 June 2020, citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area, and the Swiss Confederation, as well as people with permanent residence status in those countries, when travelling from their home countries to Latvia no longer face a 14-day self-isolation period, so long as in the European countries from which they travelled have a 14-day cumulative number of COVID-19 cases which does not exceed 15 individuals per 100,000 (or if they have been in Lithuania or Estonia during the 14 days immediately prior to entering Latvia).

***From the Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign affairs:

Regarding cross-border movements
The entry of foreigners into the Republic of Lithuania remains prohibited, except for:
*) citizens of the countries of the European Economic Area, the Swiss Confederation and of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and persons lawfully residing in these countries, who arrive from these countries, provided the incidence of COVID-19 (coronavirus infection) in the country where they lawfully reside has not exceeded 25 cases/100 000 population in the last 14 calendar days. The list of such countries shall be approved and made public every Monday by the State Commander of National Emergency Operations.

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
(Continued).
We're also considering something like this - a round trip in northern Norway - in order to avoid the Sweden problem. (Kilpisjärvi is in Finland). It's definitely a fine trip, but the weather can be a bit unstable. It's not fun if it's 10 days of rain and cold. In that sense Finland is a bit more reliable; it may not always be sunny but it's usually warm. :)

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
It's a very long trip - especially the leg from Finland to Denmark in one go. It's a vacation, not just a drive as you put it. But things my change re. Sweden/Denmark restrictions. Be sure to stay updated! I will follow the evolvement of your journey.
Yes! That's one of the reasons I'm not so keen on a trip that takes us through Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and/or Poland at this time. (Amongst the Baltic countries). Because we would be more than one country away from home. And if there is a new development and the borders starts closing again, we could potentially get stuck there for 14 days or longer.
(Just to be clear, I have nothing against those countries otherwise).

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
181,808 Posts
Btw, i can not even go on my normale every year one day vacation in july, as we are not allowed bigger groups go for an looong walk.. :( Now i kan rent a sommerhus at the beach if any are free... ;)
j/k as i nevervrent a house with all the Germans there..

·
Registered
19,289 Posts
You can awoy Sweden go by boat København til Oslo...
I know, but that's a 16 hr trip. :) I'm not so keen on the idea of travelling long-distance with many other people in a confined space at the moment. (Long-distance: where you stay in a cabin and have to eat food prepared on the boat).

BTW-1: Can't you hike in small groups?

3301 - 3320 of 3358 Posts