Tennis Forum banner

3001 - 3020 of 3120 Posts

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
On the second day of Zombie Christmas we watched the Lord of the Rings movies. (Well, 2 of 3... working on it). Man borrowed a projector at work, and we set it up in the living room, huddled under duvets, and ate leftover potatoes. Thank goodness we don't have guests in the house! :)

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I don't know if it has been mention here, but it seems Jo and Becca will play in AO doubles together...
That's been mentioned here already, but I was also wondering if they would play together outside Grand Slams. Someone in the doubles teams thread found Auckland's entry list, and looks like Jo will play her first tournament of the new season with Caroline Dolehide.

2020 ASB Classic Women’s Doubles Field - Main Draw Direct Acceptance

Johanna Larsson and Caroline Dolehide
Renata Varocova (sic) and Lara Arruabarrena
Desirae Krawczyk and Vania King
Alexa Guarachi and Kaitlyn Christian
Makoto Ninomiya and Nao Hibino
Viktoria Kuzmova and Yana Sizikova
Katarina Srebotnik and Monique Adamczak
Luisa Stefani and Hayley Carter
Catherine McNally and Cori Gauff
Asia Muhammad and Taylor Townsend
Arina Rodionova and Jessica Moore

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
That's been mentioned here already, but I was also wondering if they would play together outside Grand Slams. Someone in the doubles teams thread found Auckland's entry list, and looks like Jo will play her first tournament of the new season with Caroline Dolehide.
Honestly... I suspect both of them are just going to focus on their singles careers and only play doubles together if/when they happen to be at the same tournament. In other words, I'm not sure either of them care too much about this particular doubles partnership or doubles at the Olympics. I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course, but my gut feeling is that they're only teaming up because they feel obligated to do so.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,006
Honestly... I suspect both of them are just going to focus on their singles careers and only play doubles together if/when they happen to be at the same tournament. In other words, I'm not sure either of them care too much about this particular doubles partnership or doubles at the Olympics. I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course, but my gut feeling is that they're only teaming up because they feel obligated to do so.
Yep, I concur. Of course, if they happen to go deep in doubles in a couple of tournaments, maybe that will change things.

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Yep, I concur. Of course, if they happen to go deep in doubles in a couple of tournaments, maybe that will change things.
Sure, something like a SF at the Aus Open might make them reconsider.

But I don't actually blame either of them for prioritising their singles careers. Especially not when you consider the peculiar qualification criteria for the Olympics. It's not hypothetical that their best chance of qualifying (together, in doubles) may be for Rebecca to qualify in singles. 🙃

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,013
Jo is not in the qualifying draw in Auckland. Last direct entry was #184. Sara Errani got a WC.

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Jo is not in the qualifying draw in Auckland. Last direct entry was #184. Sara Errani got a WC.
Oh. Now what?

It seems the 25k in Canberra did not "absorb" enough of the players ahead of her. The MD cutoff was #207. She could have made the Q-draw, tough, but she didn't sign up.*

*Guessing it's because she's playing, or hoping to play, Q-Hobart next week?

Oh, she's not on the EL for Hobart. She's making even less sense than usual. 🤔

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Like Jorn said, she can't play Hobart (or any other tournament) since it's the same week as AO qualies.

Her singles situation is a bit complicated at the moment. Ranking is too low for WTA draws, and dropping to ITF level didn't work very well last season. She will need a good result in Melbourne despite the lack of match practice.

·
Registered
19,188 Posts
Like Jorn said, she can't play Hobart (or any other tournament) since it's the same week as AO qualies.

Her singles situation is a bit complicated at the moment. Ranking is too low for WTA draws, and dropping to ITF level didn't work very well last season. She will need a good result in Melbourne despite the lack of match practice.
Oh. I forgot about the Mertens-Vickery rule. Again.
Thanks.

But did she really go all the way to NZ without a backup plan in case she didn't make the cut? (Or was it completely unexpected that she didn't get in?)
It just doesn't seem like the best preparation for a tournament that could be pivotal for her season or even career. The players in the 25K are the same people she'll have to beat in AO qualies.

3001 - 3020 of 3120 Posts