Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New in top 500, so I think it is good thing to create her topic :grin2:
Jessika Ponchet is 20 years old (born 26sept 1996), and she will be at her best ranking on next monday around #455.
She is having a great season after being injured during 8 months last year (she broke ligaments in december 2014). She is mostly playing in Spain because she is leaving near the border. She has an attack game, and prefers to play on hard but for now it is mostly clay (because Spain).
She just won Benicarlo past week (won over seed 1 Carreras 60 76 in the final), but it's not her only result of the year. In may, she made the final of 10,000$ Monzon (Hard) losing in final 4&4 against seed 1 Bouzkova ; in july she won 2 10,000$ on clay (Gexto and El Espinar), and 2 weeks ago she lost in final of Vinaros 10,000$ on clay, against seed 3 Gamiz 16 61 64.
Her goal for 2017 is top 200. She said that she finds french player like Garcia&Mladenovic very inspiring, here the interview (in French): Jessika Ponchet : "J?espère monter dans le top 200" | Fédération Française de Tennis

GL Jess! :grin2::bounce:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Can we please talk about Jessika going all the way from qualies to 60k Granby semis, without losing a set if I'm not mistaken? Good luck in the semis tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm so happy for her! Seems like QRG she is on good wave. I saw her there and I have to admit that I really want to see her more often. She has a real atypical game.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I meant atypical technic, not game. She has an agressive game, a little like Caroline or Kristina. But she still needs to improve her serve.
But for her technic, she has no preparation at all. Sadly there is no video online, but I have some pics of RG, let me check if some can be interesting.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3rd week in a row she is playing this girl Buzarnescu... she won 1st match, lost last week, let's hope she will win this one! Allez Jess!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jess is getting closer and closer from top 300, beating some strong player around 150-250WTA. I really hope she will make it, I would love to see her in Melbourne Q, even if it's still very far for her.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Me too, I am really curious about her. She has made strides this year, when girls like Ferro have really flopped.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
She is in the semis of 60k Saguenay! She seems to love Canada... More points for her and she is now well inside the top 300! Am I wrong to think she should be in contention for a Australian Open WC?
I mean who else... I really only see Georges, who has been playing well lately. Tessah is not playing, Paquet, Reix and Hesse have been sucking.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Semi-final (may be more) again in Toronto.
She is in great form and now only 1 point behind Chloe Paquet in the ranking.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you are right about wc. I am so happy she is finally happening! Look forward seeing her higher and mostly in GS!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
She really does have a weird looking game, but seems pretty effective?
She got a MDWC for 125k Limoges! And if she keeps this up, she could def be in the running for the AUS, imo.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With that win over Chloé she might have the chance to be in the cut for AOQ. I hope she will be if she does not have a MDWC

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Lost pretty badly against Kanepi but she is not used yet to top 100 players, and Kanepi can be scary good when she's on.
Still room for improvement...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, she lost pretty badly, but she was also very defending, which does not suit her. Let's see if she can catch the AOQ!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jess gave walkover to Soler Espinosa in 1st rd in Nules 25K.
Hope everything is ok for her, and that she will take some rest now. Get ready for 2018, Jess! :x

1 - 20 of 66 Posts