Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if I am right, but didn't Jennifer lose first round last year at the Adidas as well? And she went on to win the AO.

Didn't she lose first round in Europe the week before the French and she went on to win that title?

Maybe this bodes well for JenCAP.

Maybe this gives her the extra time to regain focus, boost her confidence and go into a 2 week tourney refreshed instead of fatigued.

Go Jen, v.'02!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
This is by no means a big disaster, although it shows you can't take anything for granted. This will not be the last surprise this month.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Don't worry about Jen! Last year she lost in the 2nd round in Sydney, to Lisa Raymond! That was after needing 3 sets to get by mighty Tatiana Panova.

So I think she'll be just fine in Melbourne.:)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I'm not worried :cool: everything's gonna be just fine....:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I'm not too worried. Alex had nothing to lose and went for broke. Congrats to her for the win. Jen will get some treatment for that hip and go to Melbourne to practice.

Some quotes and notes from a Jen article:

``I think I just take it as a learning experience,'' the 25-year-old Capriati said. ``I didn't play that bad and I've got to give a lot of credit to Alexandra, who played really well. But I'm not going to let it get my confidence down.''

The defending Australian and French Open champion said she'd injured her left hip flexor last week in Hong Kong and this time the injury was on the right side.

``I don't think it really made too much difference -- now it hurts, but on the court it was fine,'' Capriati said. ``I don't know what I can say about my game though. I didn't play aggressive enough. I didn't play my game and I was letting her dictate a lot.''

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Regardless of what people say about JenCap, even her harshest critics have to admit that she handled the questions about the match rather professionally. Ask anybody who has had a hip flexor injury, and she/he will tell you that it can hurt like nobody's business. However, JenCap gave little regard to it in her interview.

Nice going JCap.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
the only thing I worry about is her darn serve. last year at the Australian her serve wasn't giving her big problems, but it has definitely broken down in the latter part of 2001 and from what I read of the stevenson match, she double faulted at some critical times. I didn't see the match so am not sure about this. also, Jen cap was not injured going into the Australian last year, which is a big difference this year.
nonetheless, I'm a fan of hers and hope she does well. I'm just worried...
Ruth in Philadelphia, PA, USA
(who has been a longtime lurker and who has finally decided to register and actually post)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Does anyone know if there is anything jen can do to work on her serve?

I hope the injury isn't too serious, get well soon jen :)

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Welcome, Ruth! We could use a few more JenCap fans posting around here!

I would hope she would seek some outside coaching on her serve as it has been quite a detriment to her lately. When it's on, she uses it quite effectively. Those darn double-faults are getting old.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
From what I saw of the match, Jen wasn't playing too badly - she'll sort it out before next week I'm sure :).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think what I noticed the most about that match was that Jennifer wasn't that aggressive. She didn't really go for it as much as usual and also Stevenson really played well from what I saw of the match...

I also agree with the comments about her serve. It seems like she can break serve no trouble, it's keeping her own that's the problem. It's almost as if she needs a couple of breaks just to have a cushion and relax a little on her own serve.

Anyway, I hope all falls into place for next week. Good luck Jen!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
She has to worry about her ranking now, ALREADY! She is #1 now, but the Australian Open is coming up, and Venus Williams is chasing her, and catching up very very fast.

The points going into Australian Open(not exact, but something like this:

Jennifer Capriaty- 4892
Venus Williams- 4326

Seems a lot, but remember, Grand slams are now even worth more then last year...
Jennifer has to defend about 1000 points, while Venus has to defend 350(just guessing)...?

Jennifer will lose quality points, because she can't beat 1 and 2 ranked players, because she is one now, so Jennifer will have to again win the whole thing, or her ranking maybe in jeopardy.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I am not worried either. Jenn should get back in gear before the Australian, and it's better she loses early now, than lose in the first round of the Aussie. It also seems that Alexandra is putting her game together, hopefully this will mean less talk, and more doing for her. Best of luck to Jen! :) REPEAT the Aussie! :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I agree with Brunof, it means little for Jen and says more with regards to Alexandria. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think that the main problem today was her serve. I mean lets be serious here - she needs to learn to serve properly. Here is what i think is wrong:

- the toss is too far to her right, and she tends to hit it where she is not stretching out.

- the actual action I think is limited.

- she slices it, and is you don't have a topspin second serve there is no margin for error and you are gonna have a lot of double faults.

I don't know is she has been working on her serve but it really was dire today for a tennis pro. never mind the world number 1. I don't want to criticize Jenny but if she wants to in contention this year she has got to sort that serve out, because it was awful in the last part of 2001 :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts