Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jennifer has a big chance to regain her #1 spot in just one week.. plz see the calculations I have done below:

Jennifer Capriati:

Jen has reached SF last year at Scottsdale, so there are 102 points to be deducted from her current ranking points.

4684 - 102 = 4582 (As at 26/2/2002)

Venus Williams:

Venus has reached SF last year at Indian Wells, but she will skip the tournament this year. Therefore, 174 points will be deducted from her current ranking points.

4790 - 174 = 4616 (As at 05/03/2002)

Difference: 4616 - 4582 = 34 points

If my above calculations are correct, then I think all Jen needs to do is get into the QF at Scottsdale to regain her #1 spot!!!

All the best for Jen in playing Scottsdale!! GO! JEN! GO! :kiss:

:bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Actually, if your calculations are correct, Capriati would get to #1 in three weeks' time, after the points from Indian Wells come off.

Of course, Venus should be somewhat comfortably ahead after Roland Garros. After that, I think she's going to have to worry more about Hingis as a threat to #1 than anybody else.

BTW: Does anybody know why Hingis isn't committed to play in either of the green clay events? It seems like a dumb strategy if she wants to get back to #1.

--Ted

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yeah I agree Ted, I think Jennifer will regain the #1 spot by the green clay events and will probably go into Roland Garros #1 but even if she wins Roland Garros she can't add to her points total by much if anything. So I would expect Venus to hold it after that but then again she could lose it if we get a surprise Wimbledon result and I think by the US OPEN Jennifer *or* Venus could hold it.

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Unless there's a long layoff, Jenn will #1 again soon, Venus will take it back before Hamburg, lose it then, but get it back after RG. Even better, Martina will gain ground coz she defends nothing at WB. We could go into the USOpen with an actual 3-way fight for the top spot. It's unlikely, but it is possible. And Linday had a long layoff in 2001 too, I think. She's not out of the #1 picture, though she'll surely have to win GS this year to take it.

Some fun, huh? :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Say Jen wins Rolland Garros, because of the new ranking system, I thought they were adding more weight to slams. Does that mean she will gain more points if she wins? or are they reducing the number of points won in the smaller events?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
VBN, I am not sure, I dont know the rankings...But I think Jennifer should at least make the semi's at RG. Also, people are assuming that Venus will win RG...Shhhh...but that is not likely. Surely she will do better than R1 though and will pick up points.

I just don;'t think Jen will be out of the number one spot by RG, even if she makes the SF, F or Wins it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
New Scheduling

Okay, help me out here. I think I remember during an interview at the AO where Capriati said that she was going to focus on the slams and the larger tournaments. Hence, she hasn't played since the Australian.

Does anyone else remember this? It seemed to me that she was going to start picking and choosing her tourneys and keeping the total lower so that when she does appear to play, she'll be rested and ready to win.

Anyway, I brought this up because I'm thinking that if Venus CAN'T play lots events because of injuries and Capriati is CHOOSING not to play lots of events to perform at her peak, there may not be a battle between the two of them for number 1 and

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!

Martina may very well get to number 1 again. :confused:

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Fascinating discussion on what Roland Garros and Wimbledon will bring, but are we forgetting someone?

(Post-Wimbledon points)

1. Venus Williams 2959
2. Monica Seles 2863
3. Lindsay Davenport 2637
4. Kim Clijsters 2243
5. Jennifer Capriati 2198
6. Martina Hingis 2158

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Go ahead and take that number 1 ranking back!Weeee!!!:bounce:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I don't think Hingis is even thinking about the #1 atm. She want titles and slams... so I guess that skipping the green clay could be in preparation for something bigger. :)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
One thing I have noticed about Jen...in the smaller tournaments, she only gives about 90%. But when the slams come, she plays 120%. Did you know she was at least two points from losing in all three slams she won?! Plus Wimby last year, even though she did not win it! Kinda weird...it does show that slams are more important to players.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Next monday, JCap will have 4582 points (when the Scottsdale points drop off!). But to regain the #1 spot, JCap doesn't have to wait for Venus' IW points to come off. In fact, she just needs to win Scottsdale or reach the finals! It's a Tier II, she can expect something around 250-300 points! Last year Davenport earned 295 points by winning Scottsdale! If JCap wins this year, JCap could have 4582+295=4877. Last year, Shaugnessy earned 228 points by reaching the finals. With the same amount, JCap would have 4582+228=4810 points.
Venus will only have 4790 points after Dubai!!! A presence in the finals next week will give JCap the #1 back!!!! Venus would have to win NAsdaq100 to take it back then :sad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts