Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All things considered, J-Cap had a wonderful career. As the comeback kid of the early 200s she grabbed 3 grand slams and an Olympic gold medal in 1992 in Barcelona.

Wimbledon was always going to be an issue because grass was a tough surface for her. Her lack of a Wimbledon crown is not surprising.

Ah, but the US Open was seemingly suitable. 4 times she made the semifinals. One semi was a blowout. In 2001 Venus Williams easily beat Jen 6-2 6-4. Capriati never could defeat Venus, whom she lost to 7 times.

The other 3 semis were out and out classics.

1991: Seles d. Capriati 6-3 3-6 7-6 (7-3)
2003: Henin d. Capriati 4-6 7-5 7-6 (7-4)
2004: Dementieva d. Capriati 6-0 2-6 7-6 (7-5)

That's 3 semis that ended in a tiebreak
. 3 brutal final set tiebreaks and a dream denied.

Please share your thoughts on any or all of these matches:)

·
25,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

In the quarters Jennifer beat Serena. There was a horrible line call (see 8:03) against Serena. It was SO badthat the US Open was shamed into using the shot sport camera. This match was the reason we have 3 challenges a set on most big courts:)

Highlights vs Dementieva

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
The loss to Henin was so dramatic.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I was too young for the Seles match, although I remember the other two vividly. But I've watched a recording of the '91 semi and remember how stunned the commentators were at the display of power tennis they were witnessing. There was a real sense of something revolutionary taking place.

Reactions: PamShriver

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The Seles loss was a real heart breaker, but Jen was only 15 (!!!) at the time and I thought she literally had 15 years of top flight tennis left on tour. So, it didn’t seem that big of a deal, at least to my 24 year old self. Who knew how it would affect her, and even more surprisingly, what lay ahead? To be honest I was much more bummed by the 2001 loss. She was at the peak of her powers and especially her fitness, and then just seemed flat after leading in the first.

Then came the Henin loss! Oy vey! I think it’s the worst I’ve ever taken a loss and that includes some Goolagong, Borg and Mandlikova doozies! How she lost that after sooooo many leads is still unbelievable! I almost quit watching the game after that (for a hot minute).

The Dementieva loss was easier to take since I didn’t see it, just followed the score online. A hurricane was headed to Miami and the local CBS switched tennis coverage to their sister station after I had set the recording that morning.

All of Jen’s losses were a huge bummer for me, especially 2001 to 2002, when I felt she was realistically the only player that could threaten Venus and Serena for number one. But the more I know about Jen, the less I miss her. Unfortunately I browsed her twitter feed sometime ago and she sounded like a Fox ‘news’ fool, bashing Obama for no reason and sounding not-so-bright. I know she was basically pushed to be a champion from an incredibly early age (didn’t Stefano admit her tried to get her to do sit ups as a baby!?!?) and all the other endless drama throughout her life, during and post career, seems somewhat understandable. But the uneducated right wing nonsense is too much to ignore. Especially for someone who has traveled the world countless times over.

Otherwise, I loved me some JenCap!

·
Registered
529 Posts
First of all, Venus beat Jen four times, not seven. Big difference!

Jen at the Open was indeed very dramatic. In 1989, she won the junior title and Rachel McQuillan threw her runner-up plate away.
In 1990, Jen respectably made the round of 16, but Steffi Graf hammered her (I think it was in Mahwah just weeks before when Jen tried extremely hard, but Mahwah was an exhibition at that point and Steffi commented that she felt she needed to mention that fact to Jen... something like that).
In 1991, Jen was criticized for squeaking her shoes against Gaby, but she toughed it out. I caught the end of Jen vs. Monica right after school and was convinced Jen was going to take that one, but she didn't put the nail in the coffin (a consistent theme in her career, in my opinion).
In 1992, Jen had her worst Slam loss in ages by going out in R3 to Patricia Hy-Boulais.
In 1993, she lost to Leila Meskhi in the opening round and, an article years later reported, threw her racquets in the garbage.
In 1996, she had a shocking loss to unheralded Annabel Ellwood.
In 1997, she drew Conchita Martinez in the first round and lost.
In 1998, she had ANOTHER crap draw and lost to Jana Novotna in R1.
In 1999, she had her infamous "I wish I didn't have to talk about this stuff" press conference with plenty of tears, and she had a decent win over Nathalie Tauziat before being outclassed by Monica Seles.
In 2000? Jen lost to Monica in the 4R AGAIN.
2001 was also VERY frustrating for me, Mark. That year, Jen had blown 8 (?) match points against Venus in Miami on my birthday, she had played Venus INCREDIBLY hard in New Haven but lost as I shouted for her from the stands, and then she blew that first set lead and didn't believe in herself as Venus stormed back at the Open.
2002? Jen was NOT supposed to lose that match to Amelie, and she let the match (and that head-to-head matchup) slip out of her grasp.
I watched 2003's SF live on TV while regretting that I didn't jump on a chance to buy semifinal tickets. Jen had SO many leads, and while Justine gets full credit for fighting like a warrior, Jen truly failed to close the match out.
2004 was not to be her year because of injuries, but she had COMPLETELY doable draws at Roland Garros and the US Open against players who DIDN'T have her number... but she lost to Myskina in a horrible match and somehow "found a way" to lose to Dementieva despite being so close to the win.

For all that drama, Jen's hard court upbringing, and the home crowd advantage, Jen never got to the final of the US Open. I think that really shows her lack of mental toughness and is so sad for a player of her potential. The three losses against Monica are quite jarring when you think that Jen wasn't playing anywhere near her best in 1999 and 2000, and she had momentum in 1991 but didn't finish the job. FYI, that rivalry ended with Monica taking 8 matches to Jen's 5, so the US Open matches were a big factor in Monica gaining the edge.

·
Registered
529 Posts
As for Jen's Twitter account, well, I don't think she ever finished high school; I believe various articles reported that she'd stopped school after the 8th grade. That doesn't mean that a person can't have a high intellect, but her press conferences and interviews nearly always proved to be low-brow.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Absolutely, and at first it was very charming and part of her allure, especially when she called Martina ‘the Ledge’ after that amazing performance in the FCC final. But ten years later we would root as hard as we could during the match for her and then giggle at her press conferences and on court interviews. Still charming and cute. But the ignorance shown on her twitter feed seemed mean spirited, ignorant and bigoted. I’ve not checked it in quite some time because it’s depressing. Maybe she has turned a corner? I fear she’s likely a blind trump supporter, still echoing Fox Faux News??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts