Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why Jen is not playing Indian Wells?

The tournament desperately needs another "Marquee" American player. (Lindsay, Venus, and Serena are not playing).

This is a good opportunity for Jen to pick up "Tier I" points. :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :p

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I'm pretty sure that she isn't...

I read that on the web board on www.capriati.co.uk

check that out cos Mark knows all of Jen's movements....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
At the moment she is not entered in an event after the Australian Open until Scottsdale at the end of February. Then she skips the next two weeks (Indian Wells). She will probably play Miami.

She hasn't had great results at Indian Wells recently, so maybe that is why she chooses to miss it. Maybe there is a family birthday that week!!! Who knows!

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Well, she's only played it once in about three years that I can think of...unless she crashed in qualifying that I don't remember. She lost in 2000 to Cara Black in the first round if memory serves correct. She REALLY needs to play this tourney as Venus and Serena are skipping it and Venus is defending SF points. I really don't understand playing a Tier II in Scottsdale and skipping a Tier I, especially as she has nothing else on her schedule.

The main reason it sucks is because I go to this tournament all week and no Jen for the second year in a row REALLY bites, especially with no Venus or Serena now. C'mon Jen, add it to your schedule!!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well don't forget, having reached #1 in 2001 and won two Slam titles last year she has more clout for getting events to hang on to a wildcard for her in case she decides to change her mind, so you never know.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for, Mark ;)

Besides, the WTA basically guarantees two of the top four players for a Tier 1, so maybe they will encourage Jen to play IW., a little quid pro quo :)

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Well what ever decision for Jen to play in Arizona and not Indian Wells is her choice for WHATEVER REASON.

I like the fact that between Arizona and Miami she will have two weeks off anyway.

She will more than likely regain the number 1 spot after Scottsdale anyway and will have time to rest for Miami.

I think she made a wise decision.

·
25,428 Posts
Exactly Jakeev. Pacing oneself and avoiding injuries are best. Overdoing it on hard courts is foolish. While I don't know of course, the numerous injuries suffered by Davenport, Seles, and the two Williams sisters all have a common thread, as these women have all gone non-stop on hardcourts.

This is total guesswork-but I'd say she's thinking like this:

1. Ok-I HAVE to play Miami(it's near home and a tier 1)

2. So, do I REALLY want back to back events, or Scottsdale then a break? I'd like Scottsdale, cause I have and extra couple weeks to train and work on things.

The #1 ranking may go back and forth. Besides-the big goal now is repeating at Paris.

Go Jen!!!!

:bounce:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts