Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In psychology, some people are refered to as an "indentified patient" either at home, school, work, etc. This person is the one that everyone is that particular group views as the person with the "problem." Let me make an example. Say there is a family in which one of the children has say, obsessive compulsive disorder. That child would be the family's indentified patient, even if he/she showed signs of improvement and was seeking help for that problem. Any time this person would even do something minor, say, forget to do his laundry, he would get scolded differently than one of his siblings who might do exactly the same thing.

Jennifer Capriati is definetly tennis' "identified patient" based on her past problems, which she overcame several years ago. She is far from perfect (only Mary Poppins is practically perfect), but she DEFINETLY is still looked upon as the person with "problems" when she does certain things that other players do all the time. Some examples:

-A LOT OF folks in the media and on message boards either called Jen a "cheater" at the US Open or at least said that she was responsible for having the call overturned. NONE (or almost NONE) of these folks called Agassi a cheater against Dent, or called Serena a cheater against Jen in the French Open quarters on MATCH POINT last year, or called Lindsay a cheater for not asking Alicia Molik to be given an ace in their qf match at the AO this year. And no athlete in any team sport is ever expected to reverse a call to help the other team. Yet "bad girl" Jen was given more blame for the bad call on these boards and in the press than the UMPIRE herself! Jen didn't even INFLUENCE that call
-Nearly everyone took Billie Jean King's side during Fed Cup Gate, yet saw Billie as a biach when she wouldn't let Lindsay come late to Fed Cup when her mom had surgery. Also, when Chanda Rubin demanded her coach be allowed at practices, her teammates and King were more than happy to accomodate her demands, but Jen was the wicked bitch of the west for wanting to practice with daddy. Prrfft
-Jen is considered disgusting for swearing on court even though she doesn't call the refs or opponents names, but pretty much every other player who acts the same way and ten times worse gets off the hook. Look at Wertheim who has basically said Jen is disgusting trash for her foul mouth, but he thinks Andy Roddick the tantrum throwing cussing king is a class act?!!!!!
-Jen shows up to a tournament sporting a little gut, but running down every ball and she's "Out of shape" and "needs to consult a nutritionist"(that one came from Tracy Austin. It's kind of funny since Jen reportedly eats very well and doesn't even allow herself fries during the season. Players like Kim and Sveta, who have very similar builds/weight as Jen are considered fitness gurus as is David Nalbandian who sports a bigger gut than Jen.
-When SHE gets a horrendous linecall, she doesn't get the same "victim" label that Serena did at the Open (sorry it's true). Everyone knows if Elena Dementieva gets a bad call that helps Anastasia Myskina in a Slam quarter, the media would say nothing about it and fans wouldn't call Myskina the cheating horse.

She also gets criticsed heavily for.....

-not smiling and hugging her opponent after losing a heartbreaking match (like you'd want to hug the guy that got a promotion over you at work?!!)
-saying how she feels, but without making personal insults at other players
-saying "you know" a lot in interviews (like she's the only player who does?Give me a break) and therefore must be really dumb
-not being in bed with the media

etc

I'm not saying Jen is above criticism, but I am just pointing out that Jen has this label as being a "bad girl" and the "identified patient" based mostly on her past. It's much easier to find fault in someone whose past problems are well known and a lot harder to find fault in folks like Kim, Serena, Lindsay and Andy. If you really look closely her reputation and behavior don't really match up. She's no worse than "class acts" like Lindsay, Andy and yet you'd think she was based on the way some folks talk about her. She's human, as we all are. But does she deserve to be seperated from her peers as the one with the problems? Absolutely not.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
GoDominique said:
Do you ever post something not Jen-related? :)
Let me answer this. No she does not.

·
Banned
4,083 Posts
I can say I am TOTALLY objective concerning Jennifer, because I like her more than 95% of players, but that post is just complete bullshit.

I'm not gonna start taking every point, it would be too long, but for example her behavior at the US Open 2004 was just horrible. In her match against Dementieva in the second set, she tried to get a point that she didn't win (rolling eyes) because the umpire made a score mistake and Capriati didn't want the umpire to correct the mistake. Should I mention the very classy "shut up" she told to her father (or brother?) during the changeover?

It's convenient of you you ignore a lot of incident that made her look very bad (example: whining about Seles grunt publicly- when Monica mentionned in press conference that she considers Jennifer as a friend) and present her as a victim, but the truth is, when she's being criticised, it's because she deserves it most of the time.

This whole "identified patient" thing is very lame, if she would have been lesbian, then it would be "it's because she's lesbian!". Whatever. She's responsible of how people see her.

The only people who are going to agree with you are hardcore Jenny fan, but most objective people will just laugh at your post, sorry.

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
JennyS said:
Jennifer Capriati is definetly tennis' "identified patient" based on her past problems, which she overcame several years ago.
I disagree with you. Other players swear, and it gets pointed out. People post threads about what they think Serena sub-vocalizes. And I believe there was a thread about Lindsay swearing just yesterday.

And I think Justine Henin-Hardenne might disagree about people coming down harder on Jen than other players about supposed 'cheating'. Even Karolina Sprem took heat over a mistake she had virtually no control over, or responsibility for.

I think you're being a bit oversensitve. Or engaging in 'selective recall'.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dr. Martian Bagel said:
I can say I am TOTALLY objective concerning Jennifer, because I like her more than 95% of players, but that post is just complete bullshit.

I'm not gonna start taking every point, it would be too long, but for example her behavior at the US Open 2004 was just horrible. In her match against Dementieva in the second set, she tried to get a point that she didn't win (rolling eyes) because the umpire made a score mistake and Capriati didn't want the umpire to correct the mistake. Should I mention the very classy "shut up" she told to her father (or brother?) during the changeover?

It's convenient of you you ignore a lot of incident that made her look very bad (example: whining about Seles grunt publicly- when Monica mentionned in press conference that she considers Jennifer as a friend) and present her as a victim, but the truth is, when she's being criticised, it's because she deserves it most of the time.

This whole "identified patient" thing is very lame, if she would have been lesbian, then it would be "it's because she's lesbian!". Whatever. She's responsible of how people see her.

The only people who are going to agree with you are hardcore Jenny fan, but most objective people will just laugh at your post, sorry.
Most people are wrong about the US Open SF where Jen was supposedly trying to steal points. Jen thought the umpire had been calling the whole game wrong and said you can't change it now. She wasn't referring to the last point but the entire game.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GoDominique said:
Do you ever post something not Jen-related? :)
Yes, actually I do. The last time I checked, Star Wars had nothing to do with Jennifer.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
harloo said:
:haha: :haha: :haha: Thanks for the good laugh.
You're quite welcome! I'm glad you find my writing so hysterically funny.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am sure that all people have felt like their favorite player was the victim of unfair criticism at one time or another, but I do find this post interesting. I do think that Jennifer has a "bad girl" image, but I think that is one of the things that draws me to her. Nobody's perfect and Jen is far from an angel, but her talent and importance in the history of women's tennis is undeniable. I don't think that Jen is a cheater, nor do I think that Justine, or Martina Hingis, or Serena, or any other player that has been accused is a cheater either. I simply feel that sometimes there are BAD calls in matches and sometimes you win some.......sometimes you loose some.
Furthermore, I really don't begrudge a player for slipping and swearing during a match either, and lord knows Jen has done that lots. When players are frustrated and have all of that emotion and adrenaline pumping, that is going to happen. I personally have heard Andre Agassi swear TONS of time live on television as well, and I don't think it hurt his image at all.
All players have their own individual quirks and talents, and that is what makes them interesting and unique. I personally don't care if other people like Jen or not, I just know that I find her story fascinating and I always have and always will be a fan. :)

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dr. Martian Bagel said:

Thanks for calling my post bullshit. What wonderful insightful and objective analysis of my posts.

It's pretty hard for a fan of any player to be truly objective. Actually, it's impossible not too. One of the reasons I LIKE Jen is BECAUSE she is so human. I never said she is a victim and never deserves criticism. What I did was point out factual instances in which Jen was criticised for incidents that other players were not.

It is a FACT that Alicia Molik got a terrible call against Lindsay in the AO QF's this year. Yet this did not generate the same amount of publicity that the call at the US Open did. And while certain players such as Justine, Serena and Maria DO get bashed like a pinata on this board, Jen gets a lot more negative attention in the MEDIA.

I also find it a little frustrating that you call my post bullshit, without responding to the facts that I pointed out. Instead, you came up with other instances where Jen "acted like a bitch" or whatnot. You did not respond to my facts such as Wertheim being much more critical of Jen's oncourt behavior than Andy's when one could easily argue that Jen's is worse.

I don't think Jen is perfect at all. There are things that annoy me, such as how much she cares what others think of her, how she seems to be overly sensitive sometimes and that she won't get a full time coach who is not related to her.

Now in response to your evidence, I disagree. Jen did complain about Monica. But she didn't make it PERSONAL. Did she say, "Monica is a bitch, who sounds like a cat in heat when she plays and is really ugly to boot." She made a comment about something Monica DID that annoyed her. HUGE difference. What is the difference between Jen criticising Monica's "behavior" and you criticising Jen's. IMO, Jen WAS acting whiny there and is very sensitive, but she is a human being and cannot be perfect.

And that call in the Dementieva match? What does it have to do with the Serena match? Those are two isolated incidents. She may have been acting whiny, but she wasn't CHEATING in either match!

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Volcana said:
I disagree with you. Other players swear, and it gets pointed out. People post threads about what they think Serena sub-vocalizes. And I believe there was a thread about Lindsay swearing just yesterday.

And I think Justine Henin-Hardenne might disagree about people coming down harder on Jen than other players about supposed 'cheating'. Even Karolina Sprem took heat over a mistake she had virtually no control over, or responsibility for.

I think you're being a bit oversensitve. Or engaging in 'selective recall'.
There is no doubt that other players get bashed in here for cursing, but in the media, Jen gets more critcism than any of these players. I don't recall Dan Bickley writing a meanspirited personal attack on Justine after the 2003 FO SF or on Karolina after the Venus match.

Nor do I recall journalists saying that Karolina was responsible for Tedd Watt's idiotic mistake.

I think everyone is a bit oversensitive when it comes to their favorite player, but I still feel that the media is extra critical of Jen over things she does that every player does. I can dig up some examples if necessary.

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GoDominique said:
Well this was certainly funnier than your attempts at "comedy". :)
Oh, darn. There goes my shot at making it as a comedy writer. Damn!

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[QUOTE Should I mention the very classy "shut up" she told to her father (or brother?) during the changeover?

[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that's too much. Jen told a relative to shut up?!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. So I guess Jen is the only person in the entire world who has ever had an argument with a family member!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.