Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday at Scottsdale : Around The Grounds

Top seeds and Saddlebrook neighbors, Jennifer Capriati and Martina Hingis, were also seen hitting together on Monday with their respective parents watching from the sidelines. So apparently no bad blood between the two players who have contested the last two Australian Open finals and hope to meet again this Sunday at the State Farm.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was training with Martina in the off-season at the end of 1999 that helped Jennifer figure out her game enough to beat her in January 2000 at Hong Kong!!!

Now it is Martina who needs the help!?!

Interesting... I am so excited about them meeting again. I am so interested as to what will happen. Martina had Jen on the ropes and was not letting her play her normal aggressive game, and it was a mental lapse really that let Jen back in and then Jen's guts and determination that made sure she never let Martina back in at all.

Can't wait for a rematch.

:)

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I also read that Jenn and Martina have been hitting with each other in Florida too recently. :D But I don't see how there could have been any bad blood between them considering how classy both ladies were at the trophy ceremony. Martina and Jenn have always been highly complimentary of each other and are both very classy and mature ladies. I don't give a flying fuck (note the expletive) about Jenn's on court temper. I like it and I like when Martina throws her racquet. They are both real and those emotions just show how much they care. I do think Jenn should not curse at the linesmen but I suspect they understand that it's just in the heat of the moment and I still like Jenn.:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Jen did make an effort to give Martina a hug after the Oz final, as well as giving Martina her dues during her speech. I'm sure they have a lot of respect for each other after that final. Glad to know that Martina has moved on.

·
R.I.P. Thank you!
25,876 Posts
Jen must be fiarly east to get along with off court if she's managed to stay friendly with Hingis, Seles, and company.

I wish I knew more about the Graf-Capriati friendship. When Jen was at her lowest in 1996(after crashing out the first round in France and punching out a waitress at a bar aiming for her boyfriend!:eek: Graf gave Capriati a helping hand, often hit with her, and encouraged Jen not to give up. Does anyone now how (or when) they became friends?

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I knew they were good friends cos when they played doubles at the US opne they seemed to be enjoying themselves!

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Their mothers are very close friends as they live near each other. Steffi was practicing with Jen in '99 in Florida and played doubles with her in a tournament early that year...I think Jen had to default their second match at one tournament because of illness. I think Steffi has a soft spot for people in trouble. She has also hit with and tried to help out Mirjana Lucic and Jelena Dokic in the past.

·
Premium Member
19,900 Posts
Good to hear. However, I just don't think it's a wise choice for Martina. Jen has beaten her so much lately that it's not good for her to practice against someone who has started to dominate her. I know everyone will not agree with me for this analysis, but I just think it will not help her at all.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I read an interview with Martina last october (when I was at Swisscom Challenge). Then she said that Jenny send her flowers after she had the surgery.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Also Jennifer had a touching tribute to CORINA MORARIU.

The HATERS around here don't want to hear or acknowledge the sweet things that Jenn or Martina do. It upset thems since they want to keep HATING.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just like Martina.

Jenny has a good contact with Corina, but she had also a good contact to Monica and the she said Monica's gruntig was not fair when she lost to her last year in San Diego...

Jenny is like a cameleon, now she like someone, and then...

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
192,261 Posts
treufreund said:
I also read that Jenn and Martina have been hitting with each other in Florida too recently. :D But I don't see how there could have been any bad blood between them considering how classy both ladies were at the trophy ceremony. Martina and Jenn have always been highly complimentary of each other and are both very classy and mature ladies. I don't give a flying fuck (note the expletive) about Jenn's on court temper. I like it and I like when Martina throws her racquet. They are both real and those emotions just show how much they care. I do think Jenn should not curse at the linesmen but I suspect they understand that it's just in the heat of the moment and I still like Jenn.:D

Yeah, I think Jennifer and Martina have very competitive attitudes and that is what you see on the court! I am glad that they remain
friends.

If memory serves, Jelena Dokic now has a place at Saddlebrook!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Aaaaww!How sweet! :kiss:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts