Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Remember the Australian Open? Against Serena she played a very uninspired and match in which she showed no fighting spirit.

That is the real problem with her playing so much. You need to be fresh mentally in big GS matches because pressure is so much bigger there. While Jelena may be right in her assessment of what her body is able to take, I think she is overestimating her head.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Re: Jelena will be tired mentally at Roland Garros.

She's going to sustain a serious injury within the next six months if she keeps playing this much. I don't care if she's wonder woman.

As for the mental aspect, I think you're spot on. She wasn't even that focused or inspired today. She already looks tired. She just played an even more tired and uninspired opponent. If she really plays Strasbourg, she won't make the second week at RG. If she takes a week off...she should make the QF or SF. Winning is very far fetched after playing this much. Just ask Nadia.

·
Registered
10,190 Posts

Maybe... maybe not. Jankovic has held up this far and an early loss this week(if she's playing) will do her good. Other than Justine there are no GREAT claycourters. She can definitely do some serious damage at the French, and if someone else knocks out Justine(Kuzzie, Serena, Elena, Vee, Nadia, etc.), a title isn't out of the question

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

I don't really see Jelena as someone who gets mentally tired so much. I also don't see her as someone who's ever mentally ferocious, like Justine or Serena. If she plays Strasbourg I could see her being physically tired. On the other hand, how does one win a Tier I tournament after playing 3 bazillion weeks in a row? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

I agree.It's her main problem.The Ao was the most significant example about that even if it was Serena against her.

I want someone to correct me if I'm wrong but did she say she wants to play every weeks in order to be number one? I believe I read it but I'm not too sure about this statement.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts

Guess we'll find out next week!!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

another thread on her....

·
King
28,857 Posts

I can see something like what happened to Nadia last year on clay happening to her :shrug:

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

I can see something like what happened to Nadia last year on clay happening to her :shrug:
The comparisons to Nadia 06 do seem pretty unavoidable. Hot player, playing too many tournies, 3 tourney wins including 2 Tier I's on clay, mucho natural ability. I still don't think it means Jelena will suffer an injury in practice and bow out in round 1, but anything could happen.

·
Banned
134 Posts

jelena does play alot, who knows?

but so far its only HELPED her.

i agree she shouldnt play strasbourg tho....

i think she will retire from that event. i would.

but to say she wont show up for the french is idiotic. Jelena is consistant and shes always ready to play, thats part of the reason she DOES play alot.

she not like the william sisters, monica seles, Myskina, Capriati or whomever it is people are comparing herself to!

she is JELENA JANKOVIC....and if she wants to be #1, she obviously needs to play alot.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts

jelena does play alot, who knows?

but so far its only HELPED her.

i agree she shouldnt play strasbourg tho....

i think she will retire from that event. i would.

but to say she wont show up for the french is idiotic. Jelena is consistant and shes always ready to play, thats part of the reason she DOES play alot.

she not like the william sisters, monica seles, Myskina, Capriati or whomever it is people are comparing herself to!

she is JELENA JANKOVIC....and if she wants to be #1, she obviously needs to play alot.
Justine has 13 tournaments on her ranking. Sharapova is no. 2 with 14. Serena never had more than 13 tournaments on her ranking when she was no. 1. Lindsay consistently had 16 to 18.

Playing lots of tournaments is the best way to get injured and have to start all over again.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts

I don't really see Jelena as someone who gets mentally tired so much. I also don't see her as someone who's ever mentally ferocious, like Justine or Serena. If she plays Strasbourg I could see her being physically tired. On the other hand, how does one win a Tier I tournament after playing 3 bazillion weeks in a row? :rolleyes:
She beat Patty Schnyder and a very tired Svetlana Kuznetsova. Jelena always shows up, gets the balls to the corners at medium pace and hopes for the best. Sometimes, however, she can kick it into a higher gear, but that seems to be only when she's well rested (US Open, when she hadn't played the previous two weeks.) I just don't think she can beat Ana, Serena or Justine at RG.

·
Registered
32,419 Posts

She must withdraw from Strasbourg or she will injures herself and experience a RG / Summer à la Petreova.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts

She beat Patty Schnyder and a very tired Svetlana Kuznetsova. Jelena always shows up, gets the balls to the corners at medium pace and hopes for the best. Sometimes, however, she can kick it into a higher gear, but that seems to be only when she's well rested (US Open, when she hadn't played the previous two weeks.) I just don't think she can beat Ana, Serena or Justine at RG.
You can make this argument about a lot of players. Ana beat who for Tier I Berlin? Patty Schnyder, Alona Bondarenko, and a very tired by the middle of the 2nd set Svetlana Kuznetsova. Boy that sounds familiar.

Her head to head this year with Ana is the only reason I'd be hesitant to call Jelena the favorite over her in a match at RG. Justine & Serena are Justine & Serena...other players rarely beat them when they're on & healthy.

·
The only girl in the world.
20,969 Posts

The match against Serena has nothing to do with the current situation. She played only 2 tournaments before AO.. And many more before RG.
She'll be mentally tired? I don't think so. Jelena enjoys playing tennis and today she played very good, I'd say that was her best match in this tournament.. Besides at RG she won't play everyday, she'll have a day for rest before the next match, so... She'll be ready!

·
Banned
9,786 Posts

Jelena's just too good right now. Even if she plays poor I don't see her losing before QFs. You know, her 'low' is still very high level for 90% players in RG draw.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts

I really hope she'll pulled out of Strasbourg. She shouldn't play this tournament at all cause she's more than ready for Roland Garros! And if she has a good draw she could go very far and be fresh could naturally help her.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts

I really hope she'll pulled out of Strasbourg. She shouldn't play this tournament at all cause she's more than ready for Roland Garros! And if she has a good draw she could go very far and be fresh could naturally help her.
After withdrawals of Vaidisova and Hantuchova it's unlikely to happen. Plus, she's got very easy draw. Very easy for at least two rounds.

·
King
28,857 Posts

Jelena's just too good right now. Even if she plays poor I don't see her losing before QFs. You know, her 'low' is still very high level for 90% players in RG draw.
There are many players i think in the RG draw early on that if they get inspired and play a great match and Jelena isin't playing well, they can beat her

1 - 20 of 115 Posts