Tennis Forum banner
4K views 35 replies 33 participants last post by  JCTennisFan 
#1 ·
A hectic WTA schedule is taking its toll on the leading players, says Serbian ace Jelena Jankovic.

The former world No 1, who has endured a catalogue of injury problems, says the length of the season, coupled with the extra demands of top-class tennis, is having an adverse affect on the health of players.

"It's very demanding and very tough to be playing from January to November," said the Serb ahead of today's draw for the opening round of the US$250,000 Prudential Hong Kong Tennis Open at Victoria Park.

"We have a lot of matches and a lot of travelling every week going from country to country, continent to continent. It's not an easy lifestyle and, especially towards the end of the season, players are exhausted and it takes a toll on our bodies. There's a few more injuries and players are having a hard time coping."

Jankovic, who is enjoying a late-season surge in form including an impressive win at the Guangzhou Open two weeks ago, was named as one of several eleventh-hour replacements - alongside Sam Stosur, Francesca Schiavone and Angelique Kerber - late last week after organisers were forced to announce the withdrawal of several marquee names.

The 30-year-old has seen her world ranking slip to 24 during a stop-start season, but is confident her injury woes will not affect her making a run at the title next week, and she still harbours grand slam ambitions.

"I will try to finish the season the best I can and start the next season fresh and healthy," she said. "My goal is to win a grand slam. I still feel I can achieve a lot in the next few years, depending on how my body will cope."

The Serb's win in Guangzhou was her sole WTA title success this season and saw her join an illustrious group of players to complete 600 tour victories.

"I actually didn't realise I had that many wins," said Jankovic. "Imagine how many kilometres that is on my legs! But it's a great achievement and I'm proud of myself making that."

Fighting fit Jelena Jankovic still eyes grand slam, but first it's the Hong Kong Open | South China Morning Post

See less See more
#5 ·

Reactions: flareon
#7 ·
She isn't the player she used to be anymore but a fully fit and committed Jankovic could really do some damage in the next year or so given the terrible form of most "top" players.

It's weird to see how stagnating around the #25 mark while players with suspect abilities are ranked much higher.

#16 ·
Well ... Jelena was out during clay season, only played one match in RG which she lost. I'm convinced that if she had not injured herself during this spring she would've had better rank now.

#9 ·
Playing Nanchang was what she calls the "demands of top-class tennis" ? :lol:

Anyway, it's cute lol

#10 ·
:haha:

Cute that she dreams, but it won`t happen. She can`t reach a Slam QF anymore. The only chance to reach a Slam final is at French Open

A shame that Li, Kuznetsova, Pennetta, Bartoli, Schiavone and Stosur have won a Grand Slam. And Jelena not :sobbing:

The last time she reached QF at Aus Open: 2008
The last time she reached QF at French Open: 2013
The last time she reached QF at Wimbledon: never
The last time she reached QF at US Open: 2008

#18 ·

#20 ·
I think she is great for the tour, hopefully she can play a few more seasons at a good level and give us a bunch more entertainment :)

#22 ·
Okay but did I see any of you predict Pennetta would ever win a slam? Or even be in a Slam final? The answer is no.

You guys are acting like she can barely move anymore and is out of top 100. She still plays good tennis and is a great fighter. It's not like she is Cirstea or somebody. She can and does make finals and semis of big tournaments still. As long as the motivation is there she still has a chance.

#23 ·
Yeah but Pennetta always did well at the U.S. Open so there was always that glimmer, with JJ she can't even get to the second week anymore.

Reactions: rucolo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.