Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
54,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3906561.stm

'BAD DAD' RETURNS

Jelena Dokic revealed just how much her torrid relationship with her father is affecting her after she went out of Wimbledon in the first round.

The controversial Damir used to be an ever-present at tournaments with his daughter, but according to Jelena, the pair no longer even speak.

The last straw came when Damir accused his daughter of taking drugs to improve her performance and described her coach Borna Bikic and his brother Tino - Jelena's boyfriend - as "people of dubious moral and professional standards".

"I don't know what his aim is - if he's trying to screw me up, I think that's pretty sad," she said.

"In an ideal world, everybody would like to have a family that's all together, but I think this is asking for too much in my situation. "I don't talk to him and I have nothing to do with him anymore. I cannot get much lower than I am at the moment. We will see what happens, whether I go down or not. It's not easy to deal with these things, but I have to find a way."

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The only thing more pathetic than Damir Dokic is the WTA's apparent inability (or willingness) to do anything constructive to help Jelena through this.

Reactions: skanky~skanketta

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Jelena..:(

She does NOT deserve this..but shes right..what can she do???

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
Jelena doesnt listen to him anyways, and it still affects her.. its his aura that's screwing her up :unsure:

:( damn u Damir.. jus leave Jelena ALONE!!! :fiery:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Albireo said:
The only thing more pathetic than Damir Dokic is the WTA's apparent inability (or willingness) to do anything constructive to help Jelena through this.
Shes a grown woman not a child.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
:sad: I hope Jelena can get her off-court things settled so she can play the tennis we all know she's capable of and get back to the top 10 and start winning. :tears:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
jbone_0307 said:
Either not listen to him, or get back with him
Quite right.

All this stormy melodrama is not helping her game.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Naldo said:
:sad: I hope Jelena can get her off-court things settled so she can play the tennis we all know she's capable of and get back to the top 10 and start winning. :tears:
We all know this??
Does anyone even think she has the game for the top 10 again?...what worked in the past won't neccessarily work for her now. Her one-dimensional power game won't cut it and it hasn't been cutting it because now everyone hits at least as hard as her but most players near the top have more weapons and consistency.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
:rolleyes: Her game hasn't been cutting it because she's been playing nowhere near what she used to be playing when she was good. Her fucked up life is affecting her game (anybody with eyes can see it) and her one-dimensional game is good enough to beat lots of players (ie. Zurich last year. That's the stuff she was able to come up with loads of times in the course of a year) and there are people inside the top 10 atm who also have one dimensional games and aren't Miss Consistency either. If Jelena gets back her old form, there's no doubt in my mind that she can get back inside the top 10.:)

Reactions: Wojtek

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Why don't stop blaming her bad results on her father already? With or without him, Dokic is nothing but a mediocre player at best.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
gogomaggie said:
Why don't stop blaming her bad results on her father already? With or without him, Dokic is nothing but a mediocre player at best.
:retard: If Jelena is a mediocre player at best, then holy crap loads of players are just worthless. And I said her fucked up life, its not only Damir you know.

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Naldo said:
:retard: If Jelena is a mediocre player at best, then holy crap loads of players are just worthless. And I said her fucked up life, its not only Damir you know.
Either way, it's her fault that results are not coming.
She isn't that good a player ppl are saying. She has been overrated for quite a long time now. She's a good enough player to be ranked in the top 40 but that once she was in the top 5 is a joke and she was in the right place at the right time then.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
:bigcry: Ok then, believe in that if you wish.

·
Banned
1,306 Posts
Jelena use to be in the top four. She needs to find a love like Justine has to reboost her confidence

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Shes a grown woman who cut herself out from her family. She should be able to deal with him and his comments by now. Its not the comments that are giving her bad results, its how she is taking it and not ignoring it.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
Shes a grown woman not a child.

Beside the point. If the WTA is willing to have these players working for them as children-- and regardless of lack of contracts and such, these players are unquestionably working for the WTA, as the Tour makes shitloads of money from them-- then the Tour needs to accept some responsibility for them even when they become adults.

The WTA has a huge history of turning its back on its child prodigies, from Andrea Jaeger and Andrea Temesvari to Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce and Monica Seles and, yes, Jelena Dokic. As long as what's happening behind-the-scenes doesn't affect the player's ability to show and play her first-round matches, the WTA won't lift a finger to intervene, or even to make sure the players have the emotional support they need. Remember how they washed their hands of Capriati after the drug bust? That's the WTA's attitude in a nutshell.

I'm not familiar with all of the particulars of the Dokic scenario, admittedly, and I'm no social work major; I also understand that there are legal ramifications in these situations of which we aren't always aware. But the WTA has been aware of Damir Dokic's instability for years and not visibly done anything constructive about it beyond barring him from a few tournaments. At the very least, they could have one of the useless WTA spokespeople publicly denying Damir's unbalanced media ramblings every time he opens his pustulent piehole.

It must be nice to be the WTA and be so overflowing in talent that they can abandon a young star with so much potential to her own devices.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts