Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me Jelena has greatly improved her serve over the off season, After being called the laughing stock of the top 10, and posters seriously doubting whether she had improved her serve or not, the stats are there on the table.

Looking at pics of her in Paris, it seems Jelena isn't as upright, with more kneebend as she attempts to serve. She's also rotating her shoulder a lot more and getting up and into the court.

She was not broke by Torrens Valero, was broken by Dementieva 3 times and was only broke by Seles twice, and managed to keep a clean sheet in the 1st and 3rd sets.

Also, Jelena was tough mentally throughout the whole Seles match, never letting her serve break down.

How far can she go this year?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Rosh, I still don't agree with you, I must see it with my eyes :rolleyes:

Congratulatons for the final Jelena!
:bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Wow,..it would be great if she improved her service during the off season.

I heard that her service were sooo poor during the Tokyo touney,... now I'm relieved a little more. :D

Go, Jelena!

Good luck in 2002.

:D

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I'm inclined to think that she may have improved her serve. The fact that she was struggling with it in Tokyo supports that idea since if you change your service action completely you do tend to have trouble with it for a few matches.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I read in an interview that she is aiming for the top 5 this year? Seeing as she is already at 6 now, I think thats a very reasonable goal.

I don't see her catching up with the likes of Venus of Jenn, or Hingis, yet (Lindsay is a question mark till she comes back, or I'd include her here too).

Monica also has a lot of gain before Wimbledon.

But I would be surprised if Jelena did not surpass her success of last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts