Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jelena Dokic has been in contact with her estranged father Damir after finding out he was very ill.

Damir Dokic has told a Serbian newspaper Kurir that he is very ill but would not say what he was suffering from.

He said Jelena, 24, had contacted him this month after learning of his ailment.

The father and daughter had long since fallen out, following a brief 2004 reconciliation, and the former world No.4 said last year that she had not spoken to him for a long time.

Dokic's career had been in free fall since 2002, but Damir Dokic would not be drawn on whether she would quit the game altogether.

"I would not like to comment on Jelena's eventual retirement," Damir told Kurir.

"I regret that she did not listen to me and return to the family.

"Sadly, my predictions have come true."

In recent times, Jelena had been distressed by her father's repeated claims that she had been kidnapped and also his own threat to kidnap her.

Damir has reportedly moved to Fruska Gora in central Serbia where he spends his time tending to vineyards.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
that man still angers me sooooo much

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wonder what he is sick from?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I wouldn't say they're the most dysfunctional. Damir did cause Jelena to be where she is right now, but he never got to the level that Lucic's dad went. But Mirjana had the family on her side. Jelena's family desintegrated for all I know, mother in Beograd, father in the countryside with his vineyards and borther somewhere else studying, not sure if he's with their mother. I heard that Jelena and Mirjana support each other, Jelena seems to encourage her a lot, it doesn't come as a big surprise as they have so similar life stories. I admire these people for hanging on, takes a lot of courage, but in the end they probably don't have anything left other than tennis, that's all their fathers gave them and that's all they were left with, their incredible talent and huge psychological issues. I don't know how thhey do it honestly, I lose it completely and can't put the ball in when I feel like the day didn't go my way

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
he's not sick at all. There was a tv debate on serbian tv on monday about 'wunderkids' and he appeared and ofcourse had an argue with psychologysts and sociologists...he looked fine...no till and he was practicaly defending all the time cause the tv show host was making him admitt he was pushing Jelena way too much....

·
Registered
358 Posts
he was practicaly defending all the time cause the tv show host was making him admitt he was pushing Jelena way too much....
On the contrary, a lot of what he says is not in the least bit unreasonable. Jelena's situation was alluded to but hardly mentioned.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nald5n

First time I see a TV interview with Damir. Quite an intense and very very motivated fellow but that's today's professional sporting world in a nutshell. The rewards can be enormous if you are talented and prepared to put in the work.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
why do dads try and push there daughters so hard i think back to the whole pierce thing with her dad i meen getting a restraining order out on him why cant they just let there daughters get on with it and be there to suport them when they need it pierce looked so unhappy at times when it just looked like she was being forced to be a champion im so glad pierce had 05 she looked so happy and she loved playing she was free and incontrol and it was a breath of fresh air! as for yuri sharapov i just want to slap him leave sharapova to get on with it shes strong enough and clever enough to work it out on her own! as for dokic's father shes better off on her own why couldnt he just be proud of her? the perfect tennis dad for me was always monica seles father a rock for her helped her to be the amazing champion she was but never let her feet leave the ground his death was very tough for monica but her love for tennis kept her going!

Reactions: Just Do It

·
Registered
358 Posts
why do dads try and push there daughters so hard i think back to the whole pierce thing with her dad i meen getting a restraining order out on him why cant they just let there daughters get on with it and be there to suport them when they need it pierce looked so unhappy at times when it just looked like she was being forced to be a champion im so glad pierce had 05 she looked so happy and she loved playing she was free and incontrol and it was a breath of fresh air! as for yuri sharapov i just want to slap him leave sharapova to get on with it shes strong enough and clever enough to work it out on her own! as for dokic's father shes better off on her own why couldnt he just be proud of her? the perfect tennis dad for me was always monica seles father a rock for her helped her to be the amazing champion she was but never let her feet leave the ground his death was very tough for monica but her love for tennis kept her going!
The rat race is less publicized but in many cases more traumatic than fricken tennis !!! Parents push their children into following academic pursuits far more severely than parents trying to nurture a genuine sporting talent.

As for tennis:
- JD is a spoilt brat. Damir got her to No. 4 and made her a multi-millionaire. He didn't want her to date a Catholic. Boo f*cking hoo.
- MS was a Bolletieri Academy graduate. Her father was obviously a massive influence but was he also her coach ?
- Maria appears confident enough and smart enough to brush off the media's portrayal of her dad.
- Don't know the Pierce story.

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
The rat race is less publicized but in many cases more traumatic than fricken tennis !!! Parents push their children into following academic pursuits far more severely than parents trying to nurture a genuine sporting talent.

As for tennis:
- JD is a spoilt brat. Damir got her to No. 4 and made her a multi-millionaire. He didn't want her to date a Catholic. Boo f*cking hoo.
- MS was a Bolletieri Academy graduate. Her father was obviously a massive influence but was he also her coach ?
- Maria appears confident enough and smart enough to brush off the media's portrayal of her dad.
- Don't know the Pierce story.

i get your point but i supose my point is in life why cant parents just support there children and let them find there own way being pushed to do something is never good as you will grow to hate it (i think this is what happend with pierce!) i just was using wta players as this is the forum to discuss them! is it true the pierces dad hit her once after she lost a match i read it and couldnt believe it i know he bullied her and shouted and raved at her but i didnt know he hit her?

·
Registered
47,995 Posts
True :yeah:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I partially agree, but the part I don't agree is the one about Dokic being better of without Damir. It's obvious she is in trouble, maybe not personal, but her career is close to being over, and probably has financial difficulties. It's clear that he has a lot of issues, but the truth is that her career went downhill, after her splitting with him. As for Karolj Seleš, he was a real example of a loving and supporting tennis-dad, who left his whole (good) life in Yugoslavia, and went on to help his daughter get a better life, and use her talent. Same can be said for Snežana Janković - Jelena's mom - she really looks supportive, and also allows Jelena to lead a normal life of a 22-year old girl (or as normal as possible for a top athlete)...

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
I partially agree, but the part I don't agree is the one about Dokic being better of without Damir. It's obvious she is in trouble, maybe not personal, but her career is close to being over, and probably has financial difficulties. It's clear that he has a lot of issues, but the truth is that her career went downhill, after her splitting with him. As for Karolj Seleš, he was a real example of a loving and supporting tennis-dad, who left his whole (good) life in Yugoslavia, and went on to help his daughter get a better life, and use her talent. Same can be said for Snežana Janković - Jelena's mom - she really looks supportive, and also allows Jelena to lead a normal life of a 22-year old girl (or as normal as possible for a top athlete)...
i agree but for the dokic bit if shes happy with her life then shes better off without him and tennis isnt everything in life!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts