Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
let's be honest. after tapering off badly towards the end of last year, losing her #4 ranking and then some, 2003 has been an unqualified disaster. Since her unceremonious defeat at the hands of Elena Bovina at the US Open, she has dumped her daddy, taken up with a race car driver and her results haven't been seen since.

but still, her ranking has been persisently in, or near, the top ten. but that may be all about to change. dokic has big points off in the coming months. 4R at Wimbledon, QF in Stanford, F in san diego, SF in LA, SF in canada, SF in Bahia and SF in Tokyo. true, she has some chances to gain, such as this week in Eastborne and the US Open, but the fact remains that she will need to come up with huge results to maintain her current ranking of #11, which is looking to come under fire in subsequent weeks from the likes of Sugiyama, Maleeva and company.

Dokic's record on the season in 13-15. She has been decent at times, QF at miami and charleston, SF in Warsaw, but most often has slumped out in the early rounds and generally performed terrible. So here is the question. Can she bust this company out of the rut and salvage the second half, or is this a runaway train?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,670 Posts
jelena is way too talented not to escape this slump...coming onto her favorite surface she will thrive, find her timing, find her game...and she will be fine :)

please prove me right jelena :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know... doesn't really seem like her heart's in her tennis right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
she can salvage 2003 but the question is will she? i really thought she would pick things up at RG, she had quarter-final points to defend and it was her first slam of the year and the top players always take slams very seriously. i think she has one last chance and that is at wimbledon. it is the slam where she has consistently done the best if she does poorly at wimby then i expect the rest of the year to be the same. but i think she might also have a chance towards the end of the year. i remember a couple of years ago when she have that great run at the end of the year winning something like 4 tournaments and reaching another final. traditionally jelena hasn't done terrific at the start of the season but from now on she has no excuse.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gowza said:
she can salvage 2003 but the question is will she? i really thought she would pick things up at RG, she had quarter-final points to defend and it was her first slam of the year and the top players always take slams very seriously. i think she has one last chance and that is at wimbledon. it is the slam where she has consistently done the best if she does poorly at wimby then i expect the rest of the year to be the same. but i think she might also have a chance towards the end of the year. i remember a couple of years ago when she have that great run at the end of the year winning something like 4 tournaments and reaching another final. traditionally jelena hasn't done terrific at the start of the season but from now on she has no excuse.
It wasn't THAT good, Gowza. ;) she won Moscow, i think she also won Tokyo (thin fields at both events) and then she would wind up doing very well at a few other indoor events (was thrashed by Lindsay thrice, preventing her from doing better).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
ok, but my point was that she usually does well from wimbledon onwards.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gowza said:
ok, but my point was that she usually does well from wimbledon onwards.
Right, but she also usually does better during the first half, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
well yes she usually does better in the first half of the season than she did this year but i thought the second half of her season was always her best part of the season?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Avatars

A lot of the avatars in use on this message board have been stolen and are being used illegally by the owners of this board.

We have sent emails to them which have been ignored.

Unless they respond and remove the stolen photographs,we will post a list of the stolen photographs and any user who uses them from that day will also be liable for copyright infringmenent.

To avoid legal consequences, you are advised not to use avatars.

To avoid promoting the interests of thieves, you are advised to seek an alternative message board.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gowza said:
well yes she usually does better in the first half of the season than she did this year but i thought the second half of her season was always her best part of the season?
mmm, I suppose....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
382 Posts
King Lindsay said:
It wasn't THAT good, Gowza. ;) she won Moscow, i think she also won Tokyo (thin fields at both events) and then she would wind up doing very well at a few other indoor events (was thrashed by Lindsay thrice, preventing her from doing better).
and it was during indoor season 2001........
well, u know what happened.... :sad: .....
that's why some of the draws are weak.

but she did hold those result the next yr
as she stayed in TOP 10..........
so i think she wont fall too far out of TOP 20....
so if Jelena is seeded for 4R in US.....
then she might have a chance...
and her Sanex Champ points are doomed to lose,
so hopefully she will be able to salvage some
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top