Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has been granted Australian residency and is now one step closer to becoming an Australian citizen.

Tennis Australia director of player development Craig Tiley had this to say; "Jarkka is committed to playing for Australia when she eligable to do so... She's a good player. She's only 19 and, based on current rankings, if she gets her citizenship, Australia could soon have five women in the top 100."

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

·
Registered
16,700 Posts
:eek:

Interesting. Never thought she would actually play for us. It will be a little bit strange but it is fascinating to me at the same time. Will her name stay as Gajdosova? I'm not an expert on Slovakian last names and such.

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yes it will stay the same... WOO! It is soooo exciting!

·
Registered
16,700 Posts
Are you sure she wouldn't become Jarmila Gajdos (or whatever her fathers surname is)?

:lol: I'm applying Russian rules to Slovakian names so I'm probly wrong.

So the 5 in the top 100 would be Stosur, Molik, Pratt, Dell'Acqua & Gajdosova?

I've never seen her play, how does she play Brant?

·
Registered
12,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Привет;10557309 said:
Are you sure she wouldn't become Jarmila Gajdos (or whatever her fathers surname is)?

:lol: I'm applying Russian rules to Slovakian names so I'm probly wrong.

So the 5 in the top 100 would be Stosur, Molik, Pratt, Dell'Acqua & Gajdosova?

I've never seen her play, how does she play Brant?
Presuming Casey continues her recent succes and breaks the top 100 shortly... then yes those five girls!
I actually haven't seen her play either! lol

·
Art & Futures
20,925 Posts
Привет;10557310 said:
tennnissfannn you're Australian? :unsure:

Always assumed you were American for some reason. :lol:
probably because of the SW avatar

Reactions: Harvs

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Привет;10557310 said:
tennnissfannn you're Australian? :unsure:

Always assumed you were American for some reason. :lol:
Dinky dye aussie;) It is the reason I am here posting when it is midnight somewhere in the US on a non-tourny week. Come the slams and we are awake all hours of the day.

·
Registered
13,087 Posts
I haven't seen her play either but I saw her with officials at a challenger, just after she'd won the final. She was pretty happy lol.

·
Registered
952 Posts
this is great news, though it does feel odd claiming someone as our own when she grew up somewhere else. but we are good at this, like tatiana grigorieva and kosta tzyu.

·
Your fav could never....
9,158 Posts
this is great news, though it does feel odd claiming someone as our own when she grew up somewhere else. but we are good at this, like tatiana grigorieva and kosta tzyu.
meh...America claimed Monica Seles and Martina Navratilova easily enough so why can't we :p

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
Привет;10557340 said:
Anyone know how to pronounce Jarmila Gajdosova? I am asking for some help with it in my Funny Mispronunciations thread. ;)
And I replied in there.

Plus I don't see why she can't stay Gajdosova. :shrug: That's her name, whetehr she becomes Aussie or not shouldn't really matter. Unless she wanted to change her name.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
i saw her playing with doubles at the australian open... she was playing with an aussie against two other aussies i think ( if i remember right)... i heard last year that she loves australia and would like to live her after her tennis career so this news doesnt surprise me at all... im really happy that we will have such a promising youngster playing for australia in the future... she definitely has a lot of potential

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
a bit strange really

1 - 20 of 55 Posts