Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big news people. The Toray Pan Pacific has announced that from 2008 their event will not be after the Aussie Open.

From 2008 the new Tier 1 event dates will be Sept 16- 21, and will most likely stay that way for the official 2009 WTA road map international schedules.

http://news.tennis365.net/news/today/200704/2623.html

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
good move i think, will it stay indoor or become outdoor to the old Toyota event thing that Monica won a lot.

·
Rena's Army
35,200 Posts
that's great...cause it made no sense to keep it after the AO...now they will get more top players

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...the venue for 2008 is listed as Tokyo Ariake

·
Team WTAworld
6,225 Posts
I think WTA aims at making a new eastern asian series:Tokyo(B-plus),Beijing(A),Seoul&Guangzhou(B) and Moscow(A).
Good move! :)

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
good decision !!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Eastern Series sounds nice, but what will be in place of that date slot that was once Tokyo? What is the tournament after Australian? I mean a lot of players would want to play and lash out there anger if they lose early at AO or feel they didn't do their best in AO. Hope they have a good tournament after AO. Its not nice to have a lull after GS :p

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
What about the USO? Sometimes it finishes the second week in september, I still don't foresee alot of players leaving the USO and within a week going to Tokyo to play a tier 1.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does anyone know whether it will still be indoors or will they change it to outdoors hardcourt?
It's listed as Ariake Forest Park. This is where the AIG Japan Open is played, it's a hardcourt outdoor event at Ariake Coliseum.

No more indoors.

:eek:

Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes since not like after Australian they'd have much energy left because the season just started, but we'll never know. Kinda worried how all of this will work in 2009.

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
If it is Tokyo in the Ariake forest it is surely the AIG Open mixed event with men and women? The men always has a great list, Federer won last year.

The Toray pan pacific is held in the Tokyo Gymnasium.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts