Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jane "Peaches" Bartkowicz was one of the great players of the 1960s. It's ironic that, although she was primarily a singles player who rarely came to net, her three greatest matches (in my humble opinion) took place on the doubles court (ranked in order, but again, just my opinion):

1. 1970 Wightman Cup: Nancy Richey was injured in a singles match with Virginia Wade, and was unable to play the final (deciding) doubles match with Billie Jean against Wade and Winnie Shaw. Jane was put in as a last minute substitute. Knowing how uncomfortable Jane was at net, Billie Jean asked her, "would you like to stay back when I serve?" With Jane firing bullets from the baseline and lobbing, and Billie Jean covering the net with poaches, the Americans came back from 0-2 down in the third set to win the 1970 Wightman Cup.

2. 1969 Federation Cup: In the final, USA versus Australia, Jane and Nancy Richey played the deciding match against Margaret Court and Judy Dalton. Jane played from the baseline, and Nancy also used her powerful forehand to win many points. Nancy wrote in a Tennis Magazine article that their unusual doubles strategy confused their opponents.

3. 1969 Wimbledon: Jane and Julie Heldman beat Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals at Wimbledon. Since Billie and Rosie won in 1967, 1968 and 1970, you can see why this was such a huge upset.

I've been in contact with Jane for the past year, and I think she plans to visit WTA World soon. When she gets signed up and visits here, I know everyone will give her a warm welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'll respectfully disagree with your analysis of "great", dgobie but she certainly was a very good player if just lacking that vital "something" in singles which prevented her from being able to make the breakthrough. I think she managed the quarters of the US Champs 3 times.

Without doubt her best year was 1969 when some ranked her top 10 - the Blaster panel placed her at #11 that year. (I had her at #9!)

As you so rightly point out her most famous victories seemed to come in doubles matches.

I have a feeling she may have played a part in Ann Jones' withdrwal from Forest Hills in 1969 although there is no solid evidence to support my view.

Probably only British Blasters can fully appreciate the almost intolerable pressure which a successful British sportsperson can be put under by the Media and this is what happened to Mrs Jones after her unexpected Wimbledon victory. Certainly Ann's shoulder did begin to play up but I think there were also psychological factors contributing to her last-minute withdrawal one being that she was drawn to meet Peaches in the first round. Ann had beaten Peaches in the quarters in both 1967 and 1968 but only with the utmost difficulty and I think the draw was something of a contributory factor.

According to World Tennis of the 20 leading world female players at the end of 1970 this was Peaches record to date against the other19:

Bowrey n/a
Casals 1-3
Chanfreau 2-0
Court 1-3
Curtis 1-4
Dalton 1-2
duPlooy n/a
Durr 2-2
Heldman 1-4
Hoesl 1-0
Jones 1-4
King 0-3
Krantzcke 2-2
Melville 1-5
Niessen 2-1
Richey 0-6
Shaw 7-0
Wade 1-6
Walkden 3-1

So although down in overall h2h's against most of those who were top 5 at one time she did achieve victories at one stage against Casals, Court, Dalton, Durr, Heldman, Jones, Melville, Niessen and Wade which is a commendable record.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Jane "Peaches" Bartkowicz was one of the great players of the 1960s. It's ironic that, although she was primarily a singles player who rarely came to net, her three greatest matches (in my humble opinion) took place on the doubles court (ranked in order, but again, just my opinion):

1. 1970 Wightman Cup: Nancy Richey was injured in a singles match with Virginia Wade, and was unable to play the final (deciding) doubles match with Billie Jean against Wade and Winnie Shaw. Jane was put in as a last minute substitute. Knowing how uncomfortable Jane was at net, Billie Jean asked her, "would you like to stay back when I serve?" With Jane firing bullets from the baseline and lobbing, and Billie Jean covering the net with poaches, the Americans came back from 0-2 down in the third set to win the 1970 Wightman Cup.

2. 1969 Federation Cup: In the final, USA versus Australia, Jane and Nancy Richey played the deciding match against Margaret Court and Judy Dalton. Jane played from the baseline, and Nancy also used her powerful forehand to win many points. Nancy wrote in a Tennis Magazine article that their unusual doubles strategy confused their opponents.

3. 1969 Wimbledon: Jane and Julie Heldman beat Billie Jean King and Rosie Casals at Wimbledon. Since Billie and Rosie won in 1967, 1968 and 1970, you can see why this was such a huge upset.

I've been in contact with Jane for the past year, and I think she plans to visit WTA World soon. When she gets signed up and visits here, I know everyone will give her a warm welcome!
Hi Peaches...this is Nancy Richey...want to welcome you and will be great to talk with you again after so long a time...you will have a great time on here...you won't believe how knowledgable and friendly everyone on here is!!!

·
25,250 Posts
I've been in contact with Jane for the past year, and I think she plans to visit WTA World soon. When she gets signed up and visits here, I know everyone will give her a warm welcome
We sure will dgobie ! Thanks so much for starting this thread.

When someone gave Chris Evert all the credit for starting the two-handed backhand craze she quickly gave Peaches her due as using the two-handed before she did.

Peaches was awfully consistent. Didn't she set some sort of record for hitting against a backboard for 3 hours without missing, only to stop because she had to go somewhere?

I can't wait to find out what happened to her sister "Plums".

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Going from memory, wasn't Peaches one of the first female tennis players to grow up in a rather...uncomfortable parental coaching environment? I seem to remember that, and it always stuck with me - even as a young girl.

Also, wasn't Peaches from Michigan or there abouts? That alone also made me a sympathetic supporter of Peaches (me being from Detroit -- Westside UofD area). Also, I seem to remember that many thought her the heir apparent to number one? I always wondered what happened to derail that.

Also, I sincerely hope she's comfortable in her own skin and doing well today! For some reason, over all these years, I've always hoped that for Peaches! There are a lot of fans -- especially from Michigan/Detroit who care about and love Peaches!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think Peaches' parents were that involved in her career - Peaches learned the game from Jean Hoxie, who ran a tennis camp in Hamtramck, Michigan - Hoxie was a dictatorial coach who put a lot of pressure on her proteges (and of course Peaches was her most famous protege) - by the time Peaches was 16 she starting to get intense headaches, and it took a while for her to realize the headaches were coming from the pressure that Hoxie was putting on her - it all came to a head at the 1968 US Open, when Hoxie demanded that Peaches take some pep pills before her quarterfinal match against Ann Jones - Peaches was always known as a high-strung player, and Hoxie thought the pep pills would calm her nerves - when Peaches refused to take the pills (she told Hoxie they made her headaches worse), Hoxie began to scream at Peaches for being ungrateful - at that moment, for the first time in her life, Peaches stood up to Hoxie and told her that they were finished, and that this would be the last time she would play for her - Hoxie crumbled, and begged Peaches to reconsider, and even offered her money to stay

Liberated from Hoxie, Peaches toured the world in 1969 and had great results, winning quite a few tournaments, but she would still occasionally default from tournaments due to headaches - she was one of the Original Nine who formed the World Tennis/Virginia Slims tour in 1970 with Rosie, Nancy, Billie Jean and others - her results on the 1971 tour were not great, and by Wimbledon 1971 she was definitely disillusioned with the game - after a first round loss to Kris Kemmer, she quit the game and went back to Detroit, got married and had a son.

Peaches tried a few comebacks (1974, 1978) that did not work out, and she had a few personal problems along the way. She's living and working in the Detroit area, and she told me she will be taking a trip to New Zealand next year.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
As a welcome :wavey:, here is a list of some of the major singles titles won by Jane/Peaches Bartkowicz and some of the more important finals she reached. Maybe it'll spark one or two memories!
Wins:
1966 Cincinnati def. Kellmeyer 63 63
1967 Atlanta def. Hanks 62 64
1967 Sacramento (US Hardcourts) def. Ziegenfuss 64 64
1967 Cincinnati def. Rippy 64 61
1968 Canadian Open: def. Urban 63 63
1968 Richmond def. Defina 62 61
1969 Nice def. Sherriff 63 64
1969 Monaco def. Kodesova-Vopickova 60 63
1969 Stuttgart def. Niessen 64 63
1969 Båstad def. Sandberg 57 64 62
1969 Richmond def. Tuero 62 60
1969 East London def. Haydon-Jones 63 64
1970 Curaçao def Nell Truman 64 60
1970 San Juan/Puerto Rico def. Ziegenfuss 61 64
1970 Kingston Jamaica def. Harter 60 57 63
1970 Båstad def. Löfdahl-Bentzer 61 61
Finals:
1963 Cincinnati lost Defina 57 26
1966 Merion lost Krantzcke 16 26
1966 Baltimore Inv. lost Wade 16 46
1967 Charlotte Inv. lost King 16 26
1968 Houston lost Richey 16 16
1969 Barranquila lost Heldman 75 26 36
1969 Moscow lost Heldman 36 62 26
1969 La Costa lost Heldman 36 57
1969 Cape Town lost Haydon-Jones 16 26
1970 Bloemfontein lost Haydon-Jones 46 68
1970 Fort Lauderdale lost Richey 06 36
1970 Brussels lost Heldman 16 26

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I don't think Peaches' parents were that involved in her career - Peaches learned the game from Jean Hoxie, who ran a tennis camp in Hamtramck, Michigan - Hoxie was a dictatorial coach who put a lot of pressure on her proteges (and of course Peaches was her most famous protege) - by the time Peaches was 16 she starting to get intense headaches, and it took a while for her to realize the headaches were coming from the pressure that Hoxie was putting on her - it all came to a head at the 1968 US Open, when Hoxie demanded that Peaches take some pep pills before her quarterfinal match against Ann Jones - Peaches was always known as a high-strung player, and Hoxie thought the pep pills would calm her nerves - when Peaches refused to take the pills (she told Hoxie they made her headaches worse), Hoxie began to scream at Peaches for being ungrateful - at that moment, for the first time in her life, Peaches stood up to Hoxie and told her that they were finished, and that this would be the last time she would play for her - Hoxie crumbled, and begged Peaches to reconsider, and even offered her money to stay
Thanks for the clarification. I remembered reading back in the 1970's when I was a kid that Peaches had a tough time of it as a youngster.

p.s. Agassi's elder sister, Rita, also got so stressed by her coach (dad in her case) she took anti-anxiety pills and had an ulcer at 13! Rita says she could not play without taking drugs!

The coaching issues especially in women's tennis is one that I wish there was perhaps a book written about (yeah, I know there is one that covers it somewhat -- I have it here somewhere -- but it mostly covered players from the 90's as I recall -- not those of earlier gens).

Although, I can see that this issue might be unpleasant and painful for Peaches, and perhaps she may not want to discuss it. I'm just glad that she survived the unpleasant experience, and want her to know that she's appreciated for her contribution to tennis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We sure will dgobie ! Thanks so much for starting this thread.

When someone gave Chris Evert all the credit for starting the two-handed backhand craze she quickly gave Peaches her due as using the two-handed before she did.

Peaches was awfully consistent. Didn't she set some sort of record for hitting against a backboard for 3 hours without missing, only to stop because she had to go somewhere?

I can't wait to find out what happened to her sister "Plums".
Do you happen to know where it is that you heard Evert crediting Peaches? I can't find it!

·
25,250 Posts
Do you happen to know where it is that you heard Evert crediting Peaches? I can't find it!
I do not ktmc357, but when I find the quote again I will be sure to post and source it.

Peaches was the prominent American to use the two-handed backhand before Evert, but it should be noted that two-hander Australian Jan Lehane was a world top ten player in the early to mid 1960s, in fact the first female using a two-handed backhand to earn a world top ten ranking.

Peaches would be the second I suppose-with Evert third.

Among the men Aussie I believe John Bromwich was the first world top tenner to use a two-handed backhand.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Did Peaches ever show up here? The thread jumps from 2009 to 2016. I kinda want to magically jump back to 2009!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Oh I wonder if the ridic pw reset did this section of the forum in? It used to be so much more vibrant and active. If it weren't for your daily Steffi and 1996 posts, I don't think I would bother coming here anymore either. Sad face.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Oh I wonder if the ridic pw reset did this section of the forum in? It used to be so much more vibrant and active. If it weren't for your daily Steffi and 1996 posts, I don't think I would bother coming here anymore either. Sad face.
I wish the management would stick BFTP in general messages, but maybe interest will go on the uptick once the current crop of geezerette players finally retire.

Other thing to remember is that most of the denizens of BFTP are --cough-- of a certain age. It's a demographics thing. A lot of people who remember Peaches or early Chrissie or late Maggie are raising their grandchildren right now.

Here's a Chicago Tribune article about an attempt at a comeback.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1978/07/28/page/71/article/tennis-star-dropout-tries-again

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Thank you Ms. A! I like how she went from a blond to sporting a dark afro in 1978. I blame Barbra Streisand for all faux afros in the mid to late 70's. My mom had one until 1980! Quel horrors.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Thank you Ms. A! I like how she went from a blond to sporting a dark afro in 1978. I blame Barbra Streisand for all faux afros in the mid to late 70's. My mom had one until 1980! Quel horrors.
I hear there is a Seventies Hair-dos and Naugahyde Jackets Trauma support group.

Here is a write-up with an explanation for the nickname:

http://www.polishsportshof.com/?page_id=722

1 - 20 of 23 Posts