Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Okay I like Jana Novotna a lot for her playing style, here is an opportunity for you to share your memories of Jana Novotna, apart from teh famous Wimbledon tear jerkers episode which last for 5 years, what other memories do you have?

One thing which stick out to my memory most is her doubles with ASV, they were such a happy pair and also with martina Hingis, unfortuneately both partnership end with some unpleasant exchange of verbal war. But anyway forget all about that and appreciate what jana have done to tennis world

Indexed.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Does Novotna still chat with her fans on her yahoo club? I found it nice from her that she took time for that :cool:

·
Registered
17,916 Posts
I miss Jana! She was an AMAZING athlete! :hearts:

Remember that French Open match against Anna Kournikova, I think it was 1997 -- Anna was running Jana again and again from sideline to sideline, but Jana kept getting to every ball against all odds! Like an early version of Venus! And she won the match. :)

·
Registered
15,025 Posts
Oh cool! A Jana club

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Miss Verstand
16,531 Posts
Oh Jana, i miss her. I love her commentating during Eastbourne and Wimbledon :D

·
Registered
15,025 Posts
irma said:
Does Novotna still chat with her fans on her yahoo club? I found it nice from her that she took time for that :cool:
Yes, Jana still talks to her fans on her yahoo club. She also replies to messages.

Check it out: - http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/jananovotnaclub

:bounce: :wavey: :angel: ;) :p :D :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Okay I like Jana Novotna a lot for her playing style, here is an opportunity for you to share your memories of Jana Novotna, apart from teh famous Wimbledon tear jerkers episode which last for 5 years, what other memories do you have?
One thing which stick out to my memory most is her doubles with ASV, they were such a happy pair and also with martina Hingis, unfortuneately both partnership end with some unpleasant exchange of verbal war. But anyway forget all about that and appreciate what jana have done to tennis world
thanks wongqks for starting so wonderful thread here! i love her style too! her elegant tennis performance will be in my mind forever and no player can compare with her style espcially for her net skill and backhand slice!
:hearts:

in my memory, 1999's french open, in the doubles match, jana hurt her wrist by steping on zvereva's foot for saving a ball. and she was taken off the court on the stretcher with tears. i can tell how painful she was at that time. i think that tear not just for the pain on wrist and also for the upcoming wimbledon. all these was on my local news and i heard the reporter said that that would influence her defence on the coming wimbledon...:sad: :sad: :sad: that really hurt my heart!

·
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shirley,

Thanks for posting this link on Jana yahoo club, Jana frequently answer question on her club, but I am still waiting for her chat coz she has not done that for a long while

bull

I saw that pic as well, Jana was carried off and she just covered her face in disbelief, very sad. BUt then look at the positive side Jana achieve a lot in tennis, I will be very upset if she does not get inducted to Tennis Hall of Fame

·
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more note,

I am very upset no one take it where she left off, in a way that there is no serve and volleyer around, I hope it will not diminish completely, I wish Jana can coach someone or something and make her another serve and volleyer like she is.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
yeah i talked to her on her club recently on what to do with my smash :D

·
Registered
16,654 Posts
I admire Jana, but you remember when she lost 6-3, 6-0 in third round in Australia?

:eek: what a dissaster!!!

We miss you Jana...SERVE AND VOLLEY!!! :wavey:

·
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alberto,

I don't even want to think about that match against Maria Sanchez Lorenzo LOL.

Jana decide to go to Australia since 1996 at that time to give herself a shot at Australian Open, and rightfully so, and then she play really badly, I remember she had some kind of injury as well which kept her from playing her best and also shows at the result in her carpet season in 98 (a surface in which she excel on), I think she lost like 4 match in a row or something and then lost to Steffi in round 1 in Chase Championship (surprise surprise LOL). anyway, 99 is definitely not her year LOL, but hey we all like Jana.

·
Registered
291 Posts
She's most beautiful player on a court. She has taught me how tennis is wonderful !!

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Her volley skills were just amazing, when Jana was on it was nearly impossible to pass her.

She not only had an amazing net coverage, she could do whatever volley is in the book. She used to do something that players that want to play at the net should learn, she didn't just stand near the net, she would walk to the ball to get sharper angles and make the volleys unreachable.

Also, she had the perfect serve and perfect approach, a kick serve and forced the opponent to return a high ball and that slice backhand that nearly didn't rebound

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Jana was one of the most gifted players to ever play. There was nothing she couldn't do. In addition to her net game, she could rally from the backcourt, and had great speed.

Jana presented an interesting statistical anomaly in a recent scientific study of tennis strokes. Some "tennis scientists" (for lack of a better term) were studying various players and their strokes at the US Open. One of the things they discovered was that when a player hits a slice shot on a hard court (as opposed to grass), the friction of the court grabs the ball when it bounces, and reverses the spin from underspin to overspin. All except one. Jana's slice backhand was so heavily-rotated (more RPMs than any other stroke measured), that it kept the underspin even after the bounce. That's some heavy slice!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jana was one of the most gifted players to ever play. There was nothing she couldn't do. In addition to her net game, she could rally from the backcourt, and had great speed.
very interetsting article! her slice ball is so heavy. you can tell from the bounce of the ball and the flying track of the ball. other players use slice to defend, but jana use it as an aggressive weapon on court. i think she has the most beautiful and efficient backhand ever! :hearts: does anyone remember in 1998 wimbledon. vs hingis. jana's slice ball didn't let hingis hit the ball back efficently. hingis must ride down the knees to return the slice ball back. and one scene is that hingis use one hand backhand to save a deep low slice ball. one hand backhand!!! so heavy slice!:eek:

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
wow

is it better then steffi's slice then???

1 - 20 of 186 Posts