Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ETPA-Tour went back to Europe to play their last tournaments before our second Grand Slam Tournament of the year, the French Open.

Here you will see the Singles Qualification Draw:

http://www.tournawiz.com/16draw.php?id=301&uid=steve175

Here you will see the Singles Draw:

http://www.tournawiz.com/32draw.php?id=299&uid=steve175

Here you will see the Doubles Qualification Draw:

http://www.tournawiz.com/8draw.php?id=305&uid=steve175

Here you will see the Doubles Draw:

http://www.tournawiz.com/16draw.php?id=304&uid=steve175

Schedule

Wednesday: Points due, Qualification, Round 1
Thursday: Round 2
Friday: Quaterfinals
Saturday: Semifinals
Sunday: Finals

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Commitment List

1. Elizabeth Lumpkin
2. Elena Dementieva
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Chanda Rubin
5. Nicole Vaidisova
6. Paola Suarez
7. Jie Zheng
8. Ai Sugiyama
9. Ipek Senoglu WC 1#
10. Shinobu Asagoe
11. Anastasia Myskina
12. Sophie Ferguson
13. Anna Smashnova
14. Tamarine Tanasugarn
15. Daniela Hantuchova
16. Na Li
17. Barbora Strycova
Justine Henin-Hardenne
19. Svetlana Kuznetsova
20. Suzanne Lenglen
21. Maria Kirilenko
22. Anna Kournikova
23. Katie O'Brien WC 2#
24. Lina Krasnoroutskaya
25. Liezel Huber
26. Katarina Srebotnik
27. Emilie Loit
28. Venus Williams
Iveta Benesova
30. Jelena Dokic
31. Silvia Farina Elia
32. Mary Pierce
33. Henrieta Nagyova
34. Alicia Molik
35. Ana Ivanovic
36. Nathalie Dechy
37. Dinara Safina
38. Tatiana Golovin
39. Michaela Krajicek
40. Klara Koukalova WC 3#
Serena Williams
42. Gabriela Sabatini
43. Elena Bovina
44. Claudine Schaul

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Doubles Teams

- Dementieva / Krasnoroutskaya (55)
- Sharapova / Safina (28)
- Vaidisova / Strycova (51)
- Zheng / Sugiyama (26)
- Asagoe / Myskina (64)
- V. Williams / Senoglu (39)
- Smashnova / Benesova (22)
- Farina Elia / Tanasugarn (38)
- Lenglen / Li (53)
- Kirilenko / Kournikova (61)
- Huber / Srebotnik (39)
- Dokic / Ivanovic (11)
- Molik / Dechy (46)
- Suarez / Henin-Hardenne (41)
- Pierce / Golovin (90)
- Kuznetsova / Nagyova (79)
- Hantuchova / Schaul (109)
- Krajicek / Sabatini (116)
- O'Brien / Loit (96)
- Bovina / Lumpkin (95)
- Koukalova / Ferguson (114)
- Rubin / S. Williams (65)

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Previews

1# Maria Sharapova has a tough first round with Maria Kirilenko as her opponment. Kirilenko reached already a clay singles final in Amelia Island and showed some good form on clay while Sharapova hasn't really found her rhythm on clay yet. This could be a possible upset of Maria Sharapova.​

Chanda Rubin, first time finalist in such a big clay event as Charleston last week has to face Ipek Senoglu, who was awarded a WC due to her great performance in Charleston last week. This is very very difficult to predict, both already showed their fantastic clay skills so there is not really a possibillity to predict the winner of this match.​

Elena Dementieva, trying to get her form from Australia back, faces a qualifer in the first round. This could either be slumping Elizabeth Lumpkin, injured Sophie Ferguson, Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova or Michaela Krajicek, who is playing consistant tennis at the moment and regulary qualifys for the big tournaments. Although her current form isn't that good, you have to put Dementieva in the role of the favourite, not only because of her ranking position.​

5# Venus Williams faces another upset-star with Silvia Farina Elia. Silvia, who really started to show her potential this season scores some big wins over top players inclduing former and current world number one Martina Hingis and Jie Zheng. Venus Williams is under big pressure because of her points defending, but Silvia knows this and she could upset her, although you never can count Venus Williams on a clay court out.​

3# Nicole Vaidisova is first time seeded so high in a tournament draw. She played some excellent doubles matches in the last few weeks, winning the titles back-to-back in Amelia Island and Charleston together with her czech compariot Barbora Strycova. But Vaidisova is not happy with her singles results on the red dirt while she lost every of her opening round matches, one of them very unlucky to darkhorse player Lina Krasnoroutskaya back last week in Charleston. She opens against another compariot, Klara Koukalova, who is trying to get more consistant but with a quaterfinal appeareance in Charleston last week, she got WC No 2. Both players are inexperienced on clay, could be an upset, could be not.​

Iveta Benesova, trying to get back on track opens against a qualifier. This could either be injured French women Nathalie Dechy or Emilie Loit, Gabriela Sabatini, a promising player or Henrieta Nagyova, always dangerous when she's playing well. I think only Sabatini and Nagyova could scare Benesova so we will see how Iveta will do against them.​

Katarina Srebotnik will play her first round match against Dinara Safina. Safina thinks about retirement after the grass season while Srebotnik tries to get her old form back with which she won her singles titles. Another difficult match to predict, as Safina isn't playing that well at the moment while Srebotnik still wins her first round matches.​

8# Paola Suarez, fresh from her title of Amelia Island faces Mary Pierce, last weeks winner in Charleston in the first round. I will give the edge to Suarez given her clay expercience while clay is Pierce's worst surface but Mary surprised us last week, why cannot she does this again this week?​

6# Ana Ivanovic won already three titles this season but has a tough first round match against Daniela Hantuchova. Hantuchova got very consistant with reaching quaterfinals and semfinals in nearly every tournament she entered. Ivanovic doesn't like clay too much but Hantuchova is still inexperienced on clay so the edge goes to Ivanovic.​

Tamarine Tanasugarn and Anna Smashnova already faced some time this year with different scores every time - but they haven't met on clay yet. Tamarine reached the final of Miami this season, which was very surprising while Anna reached the final of Indian Wells, both big hardcourt tournaments. Both players had troubles on clay while Smashnova was also injured some time ago. A very interesting match-up with both of them can win or lose.​

Suzanne Lenglen is the leader of the Singles Race and with her consistant form, she could keep this position for a long time. But on clay, she hasn't found her real rhythm yet, but she's trying hard in practise to get back to her top level. She partners Na Li in doubles again while Li is now 100 % back from her injury. Suzanne will also face a qualifier in the first round, who could either be the very inconsistant Serena Williams, injured Claudine Schaul, Barbora Strycova who showed some good singles from lately or Justine Henin-Hardenne who has problems to win matches at the moment. Anyway, Lenglen will face a tough first round match with either of them.​

4# Jelena Dokic is injured at the moment and couldn't show up the last few weeks. She faces Tatiana Golovin in the first round, who is an upset star and who continuealy climbs up in the rankings. Given that Dokic is not sure yet to show up, Golovin has a big chance to win her first round match and get many bonus points.​

7# Ai Sugiyama was last week unseeded for a very long time, but this helped her to reach her first quaterfinal of the season last week in Charleston. She faces another beautiful Russian in the first round and with Anna Kournikova playing well on clay at the moment, people could smell an upset given that Sugiyama never got the form back with which she won Wimbledon.​

Na Li is now 100% back after her injury break for some weeks. She had problems with her left wirst, but the injury healed and she faces a qualifer in the first round. Either Anastasia Myskina, injured Shinobu Asagoe, Elena Bovina or slumping Alicia Molik could face Na Li in the first round. Difficult to predict as no-one knows how Na Li is playing after her injury.​

Lina Krasnoroutskaya upset Nicole Vaidisova last week and was very happy about that win. She faces the third WC player, Katie O'Brien who is, at the moment, the most consistant player in clay. She enterted three smaller tournament and reached a minimum of the semifinals in every of them while she played the final in Acapulco last, losing to Shahar Peer. If Lina plays like she did against Vaidisova she could win, but if Katie kept her good form on clay, we will see a five hours marathon on the clay courts in Warsaw.​

2# Jie Zheng finally won a match again but had a very tough draw with Senoglu last week, who reached the semis in Charleston. She faces Liezel Huber in the first round, who was the last player who got directly in the singles maindraw. Huber, who played better the last few weeks could upset Zheng as Liezel is the better clay-court player but given to the fact that Jie Zheng is a former world number one, this could be a very interesting match.​

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THIS IS A CLAY TOURNAMENT. I DON'T HAVE ANY OLD CLAY POINTS FROM YOU. YOU HAVE TO SEND IN NEW POINTS, OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET A W/O! CHECK THE SURFACE POINTS THREAD TO SEE HOW MANY POINTS YOU HAVE FOR CLAY!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
S-T-E-V-E said:
Commitment List

23. Katie O'Brien WC 2#
Not to cause any trouble S-T-E-V-E, but if Katie beats me tomorrow, then I feel you are releasing the wild card information too soon. Reading this gives me the feeling that Katie is going to at least reach the Acapulco final or something, just thought you'd like to know my opinion. :)

Krajicek/Sabatini is fine with me. :wavey:

·
Registered
25,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry to have posted the threads so early. Yes, I know the results from this week already and that's were I based the WC's on. I won't post it that early again. Sorry again!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
S-T-E-V-E said:
I'm sorry to have posted the threads so early. Yes, I know the results from this week already and that's were I based the WC's on. I won't post it that early again. Sorry again!
It's okay :hug: As a Tour Director myself, I know that we learn as we go. :angel:

Congrats to Katie :bounce:

·
Registered
50,437 Posts
:eek: :eek: BREAKING NEWS!

World #1 Swiss Miss Hingis is withdrew from
J & S Cup POLAND:eek: :eek:

:) She will enter and play at Grand Prix SAR La Princesse Lalla Meryem Morocco! instead :)

NOTES to dear Paola Suarez, I will not push you to play at Morocco, it's all of to you!​

·
Banned
24,209 Posts
Vaidisova: "I FEEL CONFIDENT!"

- Vaidisova hits a backhand last week during her first round against Krasnoroutskaya.
She lost 12-10 in the fifth set tie-break!

Czech youngster and ETPA number 4, Nicole Vaidisova hasn't won a match on clay with season... Well, not in singles at least! We catch up with her in Warshaw, where she is preparing herself for the J&S cup that is starting this wednesday!

Q: Nicole, how come you are not winning your matches on clay?
A: Well, of course, I only joined the tour last season right before the USOPEN. I had never played on clay before. I've trained hard, but it is taking a little longer to get used to the change of surface. It would be nice to win some matches, but I am improving. Last week I played a tight match against Lina, it could've easily fell my way. But she was just the better played in the end. It helps that me and Barbora are doing so well in doubles. I still get my match practise that way! *laughs*

Q: Talking about Barbora, you and her are becoming a force on the doubles tour! Winning Amelia Island and Charleston back-2-back. Can you explain that?
A: Well, basically. We play good. We win tournaments! Simple as that. But to give a better answer. Me and Barbora get along great on court. We really communicate well and always have loads of fun when we play. It's great to have found such a good replacement after me and Dinara [Safina] decided to split! We already hear people talking about how we may have a shot at winning the French. But to me, it is more important te be injoying myself!

- Nicole, with coach, going through some points of improvement,
on one of the J&S practise courts!

Q: Are you still enjoying yourself, even though you might be slumping a little bit?
A: You know what? I win a tier1 (Miami) lose two first rounds to great players, Golovin who is having an amazing season, and Krasnoroutskaya, one of THE best known DarkHorse players on the tour... and according to the Media I am already slumping. I mean, I did won two doubles title in my big slump. You know what I mean? That's the problem, once you win a lot, people have expectations and put pressure on you. You can see it on the tour, girls start to think about retirement because they are not winning. They should be happy to play. No matter what. Don't fall to all that media crap! I don't and I won't. That is why I keep playing and stay positive and focused. Look at Suarez, she hadn't reached a final since last years Ordina Open, a couple of weeks ago she won a title! That is the reward for staying focused and appreciative. I really respect that.

Q: Nicole, thanks for your time and good luck this week!
A: Thanks for having me! And I will try to do my best, as always!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.