Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya! I'm a big fan of Japanese music, or to be more exact Japanese RnB and Hip Hop.

For those who don't mind the language barrier (it doesn't matter really b/c Japanese artists like to sing some of their verses in English), I'd like to give some recommendations.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/jrnbmusic.htm - This site is GREAT for JRnB - part of the Wasu Dado Corp (don't forget to check out their J-Rap section as well).

Recommendations:
- Namie Amuro ft Ai: "Uh Uh..."
- Namie Amuro ft Zeebra: "Good Life"
- Aki-La ft Snoop Dogg: "Freak Da Club (remix)".
- Zeebra ft Hiro: "Big Big Money"
- Hearsdales: "Body Rock" (less urban, but still funky)
- Michico: "Bounce Baby"
- Michico ft LL Brothers: "Bad Boy Life"

There are much more on the site I just gave. Otherwise, have fun listening :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
On J-Pop: Try "Do As Infinity". They are different from most J-Pop Rock groups because the vocalist has an alto vocal range in comparison to the typical high pitched squeaky voices very common in Japanese pop. Also, the songwriting is incredibly compelling with some of the nicest breaks and choruses I've ever heard.

Also try some J-Rock. Start with L'Arc en Ciel. They make some very diverse music and the technical execution is very good. Also try the legendary X Japan. Im sure that anybody who likes real heavy metal will like these guys.

·
Banned
13,390 Posts
DunkMachine said:
Hey that shit ain't too bad. A nice japanese twist to urban music. I can't really feel it tho
it's an acquired taste, dunk...but i kinda know what you're saying. i'm not feeling it much either. the only way to feel this genre is to be in the midst of it for a week or so...but it's difficult to feel it when 50 cent is playing in the background too. :)

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I love Utada Hikarus 'Time Limit! Well cool and smooth!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow!!! I didn't think there'd be much J-music fans here :)

Utada Hikaru isn't really classified as JRnB. She's more into the "Pop with RnB flava" genre (ie: Pop with RnB influence).
For her songs, I recommend
- Time Limit (kick ass!!!)
- Automatic.
- In My Room.
- Shiawase ni Narou.
- Final Distance.
- Deep River.

Also, there's a African American/Japanese artist called "Crystal Kay" who has the best vocals I've ever heard (and she's pretty as well) :)
I recommend;
- Ex-Boyfriend ft Verbal (from m-flo)
- Eternal Memories.
And Crystal Kay has recently replaced Japanese/Colombian vocalist "Lisa" (who's going solo) as the singer for rap-group M-flo.

Another Pop/RnB artist is Hirai Ken. I recommend;
- Rakuen
- Why
- Wonderful World.

Also, try M-Flo's stuff. I like
- Come Back to Me
- I'm All You (Lisa's single)

But what I DEFINATELY recommend is Namie Amuro's songs from her RnB project "When Pop hits the Fan" or the remix album "When Pop hits the Lab".

For J-Rock, I love "Do As Infinity". I recommend
- Enrai (really beautiful lyrics and song).
- Week.

Also, Larc en'Ciel, Gackt, B'z (third biggest selling artist in the world of all time) and Hamasaki Ayumi (most famous J-Pop artist next to Utada Hikaru) are also ones to check out :) Also, "Field of View" isn't too bad - they're stuff's hard to find, so try WinMX, which has the largest collection of J-Music MP3s so far.

And don't forget to try Kuraki Mai's stuff. Also, Hidden Culture is a really good underground Japanese heavy metal band (although, I can't find their MP-3's b/c they're not signed with Avex, Sony or other big Japanese record companies).

Reactions: yakusoku

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tarsius said:
On J-Pop: Try "Do As Infinity". They are different from most J-Pop Rock groups because the vocalist has an alto vocal range in comparison to the typical high pitched squeaky voices very common in Japanese pop. Also, the songwriting is incredibly compelling with some of the nicest breaks and choruses I've ever heard.

Also try some J-Rock. Start with L'Arc en Ciel. They make some very diverse music and the technical execution is very good. Also try the legendary X Japan. Im sure that anybody who likes real heavy metal will like these guys.
HEY!!! Thanks for recommending X Japan!!! :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DunkMachine said:
Hey that shit ain't too bad. A nice japanese twist to urban music. I can't really feel it tho
Hiya Dunk! Hiya Deuce Dive!!!

Well, like Deuce Diva said, it's really an acquired taste. Japanese RnB tend to sound more like their American counterparts b/c in Japan, American artists and music are very popular (I mean, just look at how many Japanese who listen to music from Xzibit or Snopp Dogg). It's probably the language barrier that needs tending to. The first time I listened to English music I wasn't into it b/c I didn't understand the lyrics :)

Try these websites for J-Rap.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/jrapmusic.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/jrap2music.htm

U guys MUST listen to "On" by Maria and "Freak Da Club (remix)" by Aki-La ft Snoop Dogg.

Also, like I said before, if you have WinMX or KaZaA, try Namie Amuro's "Good Life" ft Firsklas.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DeuceDiva said:
'chato mate kudasai' isn't too bad either...check that one out.
Who's the artist for that song?

Also, try "I'm All You" by Lisa and "Oh My Sister" by Soulhead.

For J-Rap artist, another group that's worth checking out is "Soul'd Out" (don't know the spelling to that one, LOL) :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts