·
Registered
32,935 Posts
:awww: Asia :sad:

But really nice try :hug:

·
Banned
15,895 Posts
What is Akgul doing in qualies? :eek: Has she dropped that low while I wasn't looking? :unsure:

·
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
14,454 Posts
Well I think Asia did a good job considering the circumstances. Akgul is 6'3" and 170 something pounds, while Asia is 5'11 and 120 something pounds. It's so easy to be intimidated by her she is the biggest woman on the tour. Yes Akgul is slow but boy is she powerful and that's a lot to deal with for someone with as little experience as Asia. For her to go deep in the 3rd with Akgul says good things about Asia, that she could hang in there with all that might is a good thing.

For example http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ee04ouaD21Mo/340x.jpg
Akgul, if she could harness her power and get in better shape should be a solid top 50 player.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Asia :( I wanted you to win so bad!

·
Hoping for less D'oh and more woohoo!
14,454 Posts
I sure hope not :eek:
Maybe 130, but I not more than that. Hey wasn't Sharapova listed for a long time as 6'1 and 130lbs. that is even skinnier. That was before Maria thankfully filled out. So maybe Asia can gain some weight as she matures, but she is skinny.

·
Registered
35,852 Posts
Good win for Akgul, but I still think Asia is one of the most overhyped of the young USTA prospects. She's made some strides in her game over the last 12-18 months, but I haven't seen anything in her game (apart from footspeed) that shows she can be something more than a challenger level player.

·
Registered
11,042 Posts
Wow another close match for a young American in Qualifying. Too bad none of them have pulled it out, but they have all been sooooo close.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Awww! I'm so pleased that Akgul squeaked this one out. :hearts: She got off to such a bad start this year and I was worrying she'd just keep sliding. I'm sure if there were fans there, they were rooting for young Asia. Hope Akgul can win a few more.

As for Asia, I haven't seen much "hype" about her at all. I was hoping she'd play college tennis for a year or two instead of turning pro, but now that she's done it I hope she can start gaining ground this year. I wonder why she doesn't play challengers more often? She turns 18 next month, so it's not a question of age restrictions.

·
Premium Member
171,102 Posts
Congrats Akgul :D.

Nice try Asia :hug:.

Even though they lost, i think all 3 of the Q WC young american hopes ( Asia, Gail and CoCo ) have allot to be proud of with their performances yesterday :cool:.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts