Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sporting Life: TENNIS

Ana Ivanovic destroyed Maria Sharapova 6-2 6-1 at the French Open to reach the first Grand Slam final of her career.

The seventh seed took full advantage of an error-strewn performance from the former Wimbledon champion and wrapped up victory in just 65 minutes.

Not that anything should be taken away from the Serb's display - she dominated from the outset.

However, it has to be said that Sharapova would have struggled to beat most players on a day when her famed serve was destroyed and her forehand fell to pieces.

Unforced errors flowed from the second seed's racquet - especially on that forehand side - while Ivanovic forced her into plenty more.

The writing was on the wall from the moment Sharapova was broken in her opening service game, a stunning forehand winner down the line moving Ivanovic into a 2-0 lead.

It was soon 5-1 and although Sharapova managed her only break of the match in the following game, a double fault handed Ivanovic the first set.

The 19-year-old was pulling her more experienced opponent around the court and Sharapova was unable to stem the flow.

In the second set again the Russian lost her opening service game and when she coupled a double fault with a forehand error in the fourth game - two points which summed up her day - she was 4-0 down and staring defeat in the face.

Sharapova, who managed to win just 39 per cent of points on her own serve, was soon put out of her misery with Ivanovic clinching her place in the final with a blistering ace.

Ivanovic will meet defending champion Justine Henin on Saturday after the Belgian beat Jelena Jankovic 6-2 6-2 in the other semi.

Afterwards Ivanovic said: "I think I played pretty good match. She's a tough player, and I was expecting a very tough match.

"But I knew I had to be aggressive from the beginning. That's what I tried to do, and it worked well for me. I didn't make many unforced errors and trying to put more pressure on her. And my serve worked well. So I was really happy to get through."

Sharapova refused to blame a recent shoulder injury for her performance - and disappointing serving - saying the joint had "held up well" throughout the tournament.

Instead she admitted she had been second best on the day.

"I started off slow. I still felt I had my chances, and when I did, I just made sloppy errors," said the Russian.

"I made a few swinging volleys in the net and long, which is usually my favourite shot, and also one of my best shots.

"I didn't feel like I quite had the rhythm today."

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:​
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:​

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
why is someone's loss so enjoyable...your fave lost too...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I hope this shows those who think that Maria is arrogant, that she has no problem admiting that the other player played better, without givin any excuses.(unlike some one else :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ana was brilliant, no one can doubt that.

And for those that hate Maria, when she has been outplayed she knows it and acknowledges it. But, she will be back.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
so true, Maria admits she was not at her best & Ana was getting the job done, so to speak. at least give her credit for speaking the truth. she wasn't saying Ana simply had to show up to win...hehe. ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why is someone's loss so enjoyable...your fave lost too...
It amazes me than so many "fans" take offense to the posting of an article that summarizes a match. So what if your "fave" lost. It is just an article. No doubt Serena is my favorite but that didn't stop me from posting an article on her loss also (ref: Serena caught flat-footed). Some fans take the "defense" where it is not warranted. Are we going to start hating the writers of the articles also if they do not put a positive spin on our "faves?" I'm not one to take joy in one's defeat, I'm only sharing an article. It would make sense that if "fans" cannot bear reading about their "fave's" defeat, simply don't.

Simply Stunning, Simply Serena
:worship: 57 Consecutive Weeks as World #1 :worship:​
:worship: Olympic Gold Medalist ('00 Doubles w/ Venus) :worship:​

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
I hope this shows those who think that Maria is arrogant, that she has no problem admiting that the other player played better, without givin any excuses.(unlike some one else :rolleyes: )
Hope it make the lost less hurtful by bringing up someone that wasn't even in the match. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,068 Posts

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
So how did it work out for you during the 3rd round.:tape:
No problem, Justine is the best player on court, plus it's just one tournament. I'm hoping that Serena gets it together before Wimbledon.

Hope it helped. :worship:

·
Banned
156 Posts
She has been force fed humble pie since Australia by Ana in tokyo,Vera IW,Serena Miami and Ana again.Ana is going to be the thorn in pova's foot,right now she belongs in Serena and Ana's backpocket and they have beaten her with the same margin.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
She has been force fed humble pie since Australia by Ana in tokyo,Vera IW,Serena Miami and Ana again.Ana is going to be the thorn in pova's foot,right now she belongs in Serena and Ana's backpocket and they have beaten her with the same margin.
Pova will be back once we're off clay. I'm not worried.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
This is what i suspected would happen. Sharapova developed earlier than her peers but there wasn't much room for improvement in her limited game. Ivanovic clearly had all the tools but was very raw and now they come together she just looks so much more of a complete player.

I'm not writing Sharapova as a has been because she's still got the champion mindset and a very effective game most of the time but it's pretty clear she's unlikely to ever be the dominant player on tour as so many people thought a couple of years ago. Still making the semis of a slam playing as poorly as she of late is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
This is what i suspected would happen. Sharapova developed earlier than her peers but there wasn't much room for improvement in her limited game. Ivanovic clearly had all the tools but was very raw and now they come together she just looks so much more of a complete player.

I'm not writing Sharapova as a has been because she's still got the champion mindset and a very effective game most of the time but it's pretty clear she's unlikely to ever be the dominant player on tour as so many people thought a couple of years ago. Still making the semis of a slam playing as poorly as she of late is pretty impressive.
Sharapova has perfected what she does well. As we saw in the second half of last year, when she's fully healthy, she absolutely can dominate because she's mentally tougher than anyone but Serena.

Also, she is adding variety. Just as it took Vaidisova, Jankovic and Ivanovic two years to hone their groundies to where Maria has hers, it is going to take Maria two years (starting from last summer when it first appeared) for her to perfect her slices, dropshots and topspin strokes. Her game has plenty of room for improvement. She might not dominate, but she will probably be the best of her generation.

·
10,576 Posts
Sharapova has perfected what she does well. As we saw in the second half of last year, when she's fully healthy, she absolutely can dominate because she's mentally tougher than anyone but Serena.

Also, she is adding variety. Just as it took Vaidisova, Jankovic and Ivanovic two years to hone their groundies to where Maria has hers, it is going to take Maria two years (starting from last summer when it first appeared) for her to perfect her slices, dropshots and topspin strokes. Her game has plenty of room for improvement. She might not dominate, but she will probably be the best of her generation.
She was just outplayed, get over it. It is what the stats say. :p

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Maria seems to be good enough at making slam finals and semis even when she's not playing her best (and I'm not gonna get into the whole weak draws thing), and that's pretty impressive. But for domination...she'd need a few things to happen. She'd need to get her serve back...that's a must must must. No matter how much variety she adds, she'll never be Henin or Mauresmo in that department. She needs her serve to dominate the top players. Also, I don't know if I ever see her dominating Serena or Justine...she could pick up a win or two, especially on fast courts against Justine, but I just don't think she has the game to do that on a regular basis. That said, when the veterans go, who knows what the landscape will look like...and she'll have more experience and more fight than anyone else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts