Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It easy, when it's been so long since we've seen her play well, to lump Ivanovic in with Sharapova and Safina and Dementieva and Vaidisova and Kuznetsova, and even, to my dismay, Venus* sometimes.

Ball-basher. Just run back and forth along the baseline, hitting as hard as you can. Brainless, boring tennis.

Ivanovic, is no ball basher. In fact, I must say, she has a very pretty game. She actually knows how to use a slice as an offensive weapon, she hit drop shots from the back half of the court that Serena couldn't run down. Serena. And of course, she can hit the hell out of the ball. And she moves pretty well, actually. Her top speed isn't that fast, but her footwork is good. She's more fluid than Sharapova or Safina, gets to net set up right ...

I've been writing, for a while now, that Venus Williams has the most effective volleys in the top ten. If that was an example of Ivanovic-normal then Ivanovic has the most effective volleys in the top ten. She reminded me of Hingis a couple times, with her choices at net.

I will certainly be looking forward to seeing her play again, and I can see her winning IW.

*Venus-defenders, relax! Remember, I'm one of you. Yes she topspins, yes she comes to net more than most, but Venus is a defensive player. It just doesn't look like defense because she's usually hitting harder, more difficult shots than the opponent. However, this thread is not about my favorite player. It's about Ana Ivanovic.

Reactions: danieln1 and Sean.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You sound like you are now discovering her game. What you mentioned is why she will always do well on the red clay.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I like Ana. Every since I say her hold her ground against Venus in their first meeting in Zurich, I was like :eek:

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
I think Sharpie may be a bit faster than Ana, actually.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
When Ana can get her head together, she has a nice, smooth all around game that is beautiful to watch. The best i've seen from her was from the second set of a match she played last year against Petrova during her slump. Of course then she lost the third set.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
13,295 Posts
Elena has no firepower , not a ballbasher imo

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sound like you are now discovering her game. What you mentioned is why she will always do well on the red clay.
I have a faint recollection of a tall darkhaired player with a stylish game, but I thought she'd retired or something.:)

I haven't seen Ivanovic play like that since, well, more to the point, everytime I've seen her since she's looked ... blah. I actually started collecting the stats for a thread about it. The quality of the players she's been losing to since RG last year ...

If she can find her way back from the wilderness, I'd say the WTA has two stars to build on for the Williams-less to come. I mean, what has been going on with her?

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
She's never been a brainless ballbasher, I thought everyone already knew that. :confused: She couldn't be with that backhand which has all sorts of pace changes throughout a match.

Anyway, there is nothing "unpretty" about ballbashing either.

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
Ana has a nice all around game, some great touch.. if she is playing well. If she isn't, she usually gets brainless..

But her game is not about hitting hard. It's about setting up her forehand. And lately she has been almost a net rusher, going to the net in every game to some good results. She had some great volleys, slices and pick ups today. And she was also defending very well. I love Ana's squash forehand. I really hope she can keep improving and moving foward with her game.

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
I don't understand your analysis, if that's what that was supposed to be.

By what you say, almost all the top women are ball bashers.

If you watch more matches from Ana, she has wildly good days at the net and some where she's completely flat, net rushing at bad times.

And according to you, Venus would be a risky, hard hitting, defensive player? :tape:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ana is a champion, I think in some ways her game is very raw. If she learns to manage her emotions and can own her game, she will be a great champion.

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
Ana is a champion, I think in some ways her game is very raw. If she learns to manage her emotions and can own her game, she will be a great champion.
I agree. Ana's game is still very raw. She needs some development, and can become a great player in the future.

·
Banned
11,141 Posts
I agree. Ana's game is still very raw. She needs some development, and can become a great player in the future.
The problem is that she's very slow at maturing and developing.

·
Premium Member
28,059 Posts
I think Maria's ground strokes are more fluid and have better control and depth. There is just something about Ana's groundstrokes that doesnt appeal to me they seem sort of jerky and riggid. Ana does use decent variety though off her backhand but she really is forced to do so because her backhand topspin can often fall short and without a great deal of pace. She is an improving volleyer though. I think she is better than Maria at the net but Maria beats her mid court with the swing volleys. When she is playing badly Ana is a ball basher or alternatly she goes into this horrible pusher mode. When she is playing well she is an attacking all court player with an awesome first strike ability off the forehand.

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
The problem is that she's very slow at maturing and developing.
Well.. everyone has a different timing. Henin, for an example, wasn't a great player until 22.. and only had her best year on tour when she was 25. Mauresmo the same... Ana is young, she has time ahead of her to develop and mature... it's not like she is 28.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree that she has some improvements to make (why hasn't she
made those improvements in all this time?),
but I don't necessarily think she will become much greater
than she is now. I think her slow footspeed and weakness on fast/low
bouncing surfaces will always be a limiting factor.
She might win one/two more grandslams, maybe.
I hope I'm wrong, I hope she wins more...

·
Registered
26,596 Posts
I agree that she has some improvements to make (why hasn't she
made those improvements in all this time?),
but I don't necessarily think she will become much greater
than she is now. I think her slow footspeed and weakness on fast/low
bouncing surfaces will always be a limiting factor.
She might win one/two more grandslams, maybe.
I hope I'm wrong, I hope she wins more...
All this time? Ana only has 4 full seasons on tour.. She has had a steady development until the slump hit her. I think she can become much better.. she needs to improve her shot selection, to think on different solutions on court. She can get her forehand to be more consistent.. and it's already a deadly shot. She can improve her backhand and her footwork. Her defense has improved greatly in the last couple of seasons, but still can get better. Most of all, what can make a difference is learning to aply her variety of shots.. she has the slice, she has the volleys, she has some touch.. though she can still improve all that. By becoming more of an all around player, and still using her forehand to finish off points, she can get a lot better. But sure.. that may or may not happen, I can't read the future.

About the slams.. It's not like the Williams sisters will be winning slams until 2020. They are 27 and 28.. out of current young top players, apart from Sharapova, who else will be challenging for slams? Ana is definitely there.. especially at the French Open. Roland Garros will never be a walk in the park for either Serena, Venus or Sharapova. They all may win it.. And I'm sure Serena will win it again. But I'm not so sure she will win 2 or 3 times in a row.. it will always be an open slam, and Ana actually holds the best record there out of any active player. The girl is only 21... she deserves to be given some time.

Reactions: danieln1
1 - 20 of 49 Posts