Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venus and Coco will play each other again in the first round of the 2020 Australian Open. Seems a bit rigged to me, but anyway.
Venus will be desperate to get revenge for her Wimbledon defeat last year. She hasn't played a match since China last year, so its gonna be tough. But if her serve is firing and her movement is ok, then she has a chance. Coco has so much maturity and composure, has great counterpunching skills. I'm just hoping for a better match than last time.
My prediction is that Venus will come out victorious in 3 tough sets, as experience prevails over youth, but we'll see. It will surely be a night match on centre court.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Beating Venus Williams seems to be a rite of passage for next gen players. You haven't officially arrived until you've beaten Venus Williams.

2017 Hong Kong: Venus beaten in the 2nd round by 64-ranked up n comer Naomi Osaka (after beating her earlier in the year at Wimbledon). Osaka would go on to win Indian Wells and the US Open the next year, eventually becoming #1.

2018 AO: Venus loses in the 1st round to 78-ranked Belinda Bencic. BB is now ranked #7.

2019 Auckland: Venus beaten in the quarterfinal by 152-ranked Bianca Andreescu. It was the official start of Bianca's meteoric rise that would see her take Indian Wells, Rogers, and the US Open later in the year.

2019 Wimbledon: Venus beaten in the first round by 313-ranked Coco Gauff....

·
Registered
18,387 Posts
Once again, Venus vs Venus 20 years ago...

I am predicting that a Venus will win.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Lol who cares honestly? Ridiculously overhyped matchup between two irrelevant players atm.
The mere fact that it's "ridiculously overhyped" tells you everything you need to know about these 2 player's "irrelevance". Venus is still one of the best liked and best known players on tour, and Coco is already one of the most followed players at only 15

I think you meant to say that they are not contenders for the title, in which case you'd be right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are there official rules of how a draw should be made?
Personally i think there should only be rules for the seeded players.
The rest of the draw of players should be totally random.
I find it unfair to have qualifiers bunched together in one area. Places for qualifiers should be drawn randomly with the other unseeded players.

·
Registered
14,578 Posts
I can envision Gauff winning again. She can run down Venus's shots and eventually Venus will gas and Co Co will out last her

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The mere fact that it's "ridiculously overhyped" tells you everything you need to know about these 2 player's "irrelevance". Venus is still one of the best liked and best known players on tour, and Coco is already one of the most followed players at only 15

I think you meant to say that they are not contenders for the title, in which case you'd be right.
Thank you for developing my thought. Its a similar BS as freakin Gauff Babos match at US open, which had people misleadingly thinking it was a relevant match
Obviously you care.
Obviously I care from the point of view that it gets too much attention that it deserves

·
Premium Member
19,644 Posts
Obviously I care from the point of view that it gets too much attention that it deserves
If you didn't care about these two "ridiculously overhyped" players you wouldn't have responded to this thread. But like many, you will be glued to your television set waiting to see what the hype is about. Then you will come back and bitch about how this match was overrated. Do you lot ever get tired of the ignorance?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
If you didn't care about these two "ridiculously overhyped" players you wouldn't have responded to this thread. But like many, you will be glued to your television set waiting to see what the hype is about. Then you will come back and bitch about how this match was overrated. Do you lot ever get tired of the ignorance?
Im afraid I have to disappoint you. I will be still sleeping probably when this match is played, but anyway i have only seen her match vs Halep and it was not Gauff the reason i watched it so try better pls ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts