Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
grand slam status. Never in recent memory, has a grand slam tournament been so ravaged by injuries to several great players, who just aren't ready to start the year with a grand slam tournament. Even though OZ is the "nicest" of the 4 grand slams, it's turning into quite a hassle for the players to try prepare for and play.

Davenport, S. Williams and now Agassi have withdrawn from the 2002 Australian Open. And Lleyton Hewitt, still exhausted from his long 2001 season, that seemed to end about 10 minutes ago, is obviously not ready to begin 2002.

Something has to be done. The ITF needs to step in and move the Open back a few weeks, so the players can have a proper off season. And then a real chance to round into form. If they don't want to move it back about 3 weeks to a month, then the ITF should strip the Australian Open of it's grand slam status. And replace it with the Ericsson Open or Indian Wells. As much as I like the Australian Open, it's time for tennis to do something about it's clearly least important grand slam tournament. Eliminate it. Move it back. Or remove its grand slam status. Something has to be done. Only die hard tennis fans in America even know that OZ has begun. And that's a shame.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
injuries happen to top players every now and then... The French open last year missed Monica Seles and Lindsay Davenport. Does that warrant pushing the French Open back or taking away its status... i dun think juz cos of the recent withdrawals, the grandslam status of the Ox Open shld be taken away... maybe pushing it further back would help but I dun see the need to either.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
...on the other hand there are other players who are ALWAYS ready for this tournament...

besides, plenty of players are injured and withdraw at other GS... how do we choose which one to cancel/move/etc. Why pick on AO? It's a fine tournament. Everybody knows when it starts and have plenty of time to prepare (more than for Wimbledon, for example).

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
When pigs fly. I didn't hear you complaining last year, when everyone was healthy. Isn't anyone ever happy with anything? The Australian Open is at the wrong time, the rankings system is no good, they schedule Scottsdale for the only time of year it ever rains in Arizona, the net should be higher, the season should be shorter. If everything is so crappy, why the hell do you all watch?

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Grice, do you think the players are ready to play the first grand slam of the year? I don't. And Davenport. S. Williams and Agassi all wasted trips Down Under. I bet they'll tell you they didn't have time to round into match tough form. And that may have contributed to their injuries.

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Pfff, IMO it has nothing to do with the time they have to prepare! Lindsay has been injured since November, Serena got injured at sydney because of bad luck, and Hewitt got chicken pox!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tenn_ace, the players have been playing tennis for the 6 months leading up to Wimbledon. They have had plenty of time to get into good tennis condition. I don't think a couple of weeks in January is the proper amount of time to get into good tennis condition. Do you?

P.S. - tenn_ace, if Kafelnikov, Safin, Dementieva and Kournikova, in addition to Petrova, all pulled out with injuries, I think you'd be singing a different tune.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
To cut what could be a long and vitriolic answer short, I will just say:

1. The players are not complaining, in fact many cite Aus as their favourite tournament;

2. No, I do not agree that two of the four slams should take place in the USA; and

3 .Everyone in Australia knows the Aus Open has started. Why should we give up or mess around with our tournament based on the vagaries of the US media?

Oh, and thanks to the many Americans and others who I note do not agree with the original poster!

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Oh my..thanks for this very funny thread, it has lifted my spirits while the players resume.

It is wasn't a joke, it was still funny anyway.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I agree with cat...
It's so far to travel that you have to get used to time changes and a person just can't get used to them few days before the tournie...do these players even have an offseason, no, I don't think they do...best thing to have is to move it down few months, elimante some tournaments, or don't even eliminate them, if you have a slam going on, and a tier 1 or 2, players will be playing the slam, and the tier 1 or 2 will suffer, and it's unfortunate that these players are getting injured so early in the season...hey if I was a rich tennis player I would skip the AO, better that then sufuring an injury, etc...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Number1Kim, a vitrioloc answer? Why? I'm not knocking Australia or its people. I just think changes need to be made. This is only one man's opinion. I know the Australian Open is a fine tournament. And I know alot of the players say the Australian Open is their favorite grand slam tournament. But I think the players would be better prepared for it, if it started 3 or 4 weeks later. And I've been saying this since the late 1980's.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
P.S. - tenn_ace, if Kafelnikov, Safin, Dementieva and Kournikova, in addition to Petrova, all pulled out with injuries, I think you'd be singing a different tune.
wrong! and I stay with my opinions... less whinning, more playing

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Superhero is my hero! Thanks for throwing me a life preserver!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TOT, you mean Serena's injury didn't have anything to do with that sticky and tricky Rebound Ace surface?

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Pfff, this is ridiculous! Players have about 5 weeks to rest and train. Then they can play some tourneys like Gold Coast or Sydney to get ready for the Oz Open. as I said before, Serena/Lindsay/Hewitt withdrawals have nothing to do with the time they have to prepare

·
Premium Member
16,400 Posts
Oh, so what do you want? Do you want them to change the courts? the wheather??? Oz Open has been played in January for ages and there have never been probs

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Well..

I don't think the Aussie public would say "down with the slam" if Leyton was
injured. By the way I'm an American; but the tennis world doesn't revolve around
the USA tennis players. Agassi and Serena are rich enough so it's ok; to miss
a grand slam; I doubt others would do it the hour before the tournament stars. There's so many players out there that need to
make a living; eliminating the AO isn't the answer.

It's sad that Agassi and Serena had to bail;but I noticed that when LD
withdrew with Knee Surgery; everyone was writing her career off and
saying that the Sisters will take the final together again. So, let's not
be selfish- there's still a great list of competitors in the draw.

Besides- the AO has the best crowds of all slams. The Aussie's are
real tennis fans.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
the cat- Hey I agree with you, no preparation at all for these players, a tournie one week before the AO? that makes you tired, not prepared.
Okay, they are some two weeks before the Ao, but it's on freakin new years! The year barely ended, and here we go again...as a tennis fan, sure it is soooo exciting having non-stop-tennis, but c'mon, stop being selfish people and put yourself in the players position! I would their job, playing tennis for money, and I am sure they love their job too, until one feels they are becoming a burnout! Players are going to get injured if they play soo many tournies and travelling and, etc, etc...........
Either move the Ao into February, or move the year end championships few weeks in front...or whateve,r just do something.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
the cat, my suppressed vitriol arises from the fact that firstly you think "stripping" Australia of its grand slam status and replacing it with another American tournament is a serious alternative, and secondly that you think that because a particular category of Americans are ignorant about something, it must be wrong (instead of that the Americans in question are ignorant or ill-informed).

IF moving Aus forward a few weeks was supported by the players and the tours (which it is not) then I would have no problem with a rescheduling. I do have a problem with suggesting that making Indian Wells a Grand Slam is a serious solution because it might happen to be more convenient. I can assure you that only real tennis fans here have any idea that Indian Wells even exists, let alone when it starts.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Australia..

I don't know if alot my fellow American's are aware that it's "Summer" in
Australia?? Duh!! The seasons are different there- that's why they
play the AO in January.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts