Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anna Kournikova prepares to lead the attack for the Kansas City Explorers in the Western Conference. She will make her WTT debut on Tuesday, July 6, as the Kansas City Explorers visit the New York Sportimes at Harbor Island Park in Mamaroneck, N.Y.

There are no tournaments this week. This is my WTT 2004 thread.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Vika will be on the NY Buzz WTT team with Navratilova.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vika plays tomorrow in Delaware.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vika plays tonite. Anna plays July 6, 8, 9, and 10.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vika beat Reeves, in one set. You should have beat her at Indian Wells. I would have tape of you then.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anna plays tonight.

The Explorers head into this season, which begins with a match against the New York Sportimes at 6:30 tonight in Mamaroneck, N.Y., with a more varied mix of veterans and youngsters. They have a renewed hope of finding what it takes to be a consistent winner in the 10-team World TeamTennis pro league.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Is Anna playing singles this year in WTT? I hope so.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think so. I'm sure there will be articles tomorrow.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
GL, I wish you were attending the WTT event in Mamaroneck, New York. You could then write a report for us on the nights action.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know where it is. How about you go and write it?

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
GL, you don't know where Mamaroneck is? I would like to go but my back is bothering me and I don't want to sit in the car for 2 hours driving there. Besides Mamroneck is alot closer to Queens than Suffolk County is. ;) Anyway GL if Anna is playing tonight in Mamaroneck then it's too late for either of us to go.

But Anna and Maria Sharapova the Wimbledon champion are in the same vicinity at the same time. :) Maybe they will run into each other. :D

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did a mapquest, and it's only 25 miles from me. If I knew that, I might have gone.
But I wouldn't go alone at night out of the city.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anna just played doubles. She won with Talaja, then lost in mixed. No singles.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me too. But I thought she would play singles.

·
Registered
113,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Explorers keep it close, but lose opener

The Kansas City Star

Three of five sets went to tie breakers, but a lopsided set in men's singles doomed the Explorers in their season opener Tuesday.

The Explorers lost 22-19 to the New York Sportimes in Mamaroneck, N.Y.

The Sportimes gained an early lead when their men's doubles team of Hermes Gamonal and Joe Sirianni edged Explorers David Macpherson and Alex Kim by the narrowest of margins, 5-4, 5-4 in the tie breaker.

But, the Explorers' women quickly brought them back, and they took a slight lead following Silvija Talaja's tie-breaker singles victory over Bea Bielik and Talaja's and Anna Kournikova's 5-3 win over Bielik and Ruxandra Dragomir in women's doubles.

The downfall for the Explorers, however, came in the next set, when Kim was able to win just one of six games in men's singles against New York's Gamonal.

Gamonal and Bielik then finished off the Sportimes' victory with a tie breaker win in mixed doubles over Kournikova and Macpherson.

The Explorers have today off before taking on the New York Buzz at 6 p.m. Thursday in Schenectady, N.Y. They then play in Hartford, Conn., against the FoxForce on Friday before playing host to their home opener at 7:35 Saturday night against the Philadelphia Freedoms at the Plaza Tennis Center.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts