Tennis Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the year/season is over soon and I wonder what remains from the so called reforms by the ITF.

It is quite hard to find any bigger achievements the ITF presented before the beginning of the season. Most of the innovations are not in force anymore IIRC (the new ITF ranking, the entry rules with exempt spots, the double entry rule, the size draws etc)

So what remains? In my opinion a quite costy advertisement campaign with a re-branding which has probably costed a fortune. I do not see any bigger improvements for the players and the ITF could have invested the money spent probably better in many many ways.

I think the idea behind was meant well, the implementation a disaster

Your opinions? Any improvements?

I think you could it reduce to the following issues which would have probably been possible without spending too much money:

• reserved spots for Top 100 Junior players (good idea in general and this should not cost the ITF a cent)
  • senior exempt spots beyond the prize level (e.g. 15,000$ winner gets a maindraw spot also for the 25,000$ level - should not cost the ITF too much many to present this new rule
  • quali events all start at the same day (is this rule actually still in force?)

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The 15k winner rule to get a SE to a 25k tournament seems a good idea, but I thought this was already in place?

Arina Rodionova got a SE this week to a 100k, after reaching the final of a 60k last week.

·
Registered
50,634 Posts
The idea with Top 100 juniors getting reserved spots is good :yeah:

Especially important for talents from poor countries or countries with only few tournaments.
In order to make it more equal and give them also a chance, not only players from China, Japan, USA, GB, Italy, France etc. where there are countless of tournaments/chances (= WC places).

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
It was a total flop as many people expected :help: Noting they did really helped anyone... the good players still would have advanced and the weaker ones would still get stuck at a certain level.

I still believe from the beginning this had nothing to do with helping players or tenis or whatever, it was basicly just a marketing plan from the ITF to start a "world tour" of their own in order to some day in the future compete against ATP/WTA and make a tone of money.

The thing I would want to see tho is a total revamp of the WC system so that the WC's are given based on performance and not randomly at the will of the organizers. I'm not sure exactly how it should look like but especially if they want tennis to grow more globally, these ridiculous things like having mediocre players getting so many opportunities like unlimited WC's to slams just because they were born in France for example, needs to stop :help:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts