Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Withdraw her MDWC!!! Give it to Smitkova!
Smitkova got one last year by winning Ilkley. Maybe she will again... I think she has a good shot to make the final, she's pretty decent on grass.

Side note last year she wasted a golden opportunity by losing to Tomova last year in R1.

Swan seems to be developing the same problems that have haunted a lot of British players for the last decade an inability to convert winning positions. But this was quite a monumental choke!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smitkova got one last year by winning Ilkley. Maybe she will again... I think she has a good shot to make the final, she's pretty decent on grass.

Side note last year she wasted a golden opportunity by losing to Tomova last year in R1.

Swan seems to be developing the same problems that have haunted a lot of British players for the last decade an inability to convert winning positions. But this was quite a monumental choke!
She lost one week ago to Blinkova in 2 sets, and to Dunne in 2 sets :lol: quality of this match was horrible... She's not able to reach the final

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
:sobbing:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If only there were a British player who could beat the likes of Smitkova from a winning position...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Swan is such a scrub
I know I have been guilty of this but perhaps it is a bit disrespectful to call any player a scrub. However on the basis of what I have seen I really don't think Swan is anything special - even when I saw play most of the first set against Parmentier who surely does not have many years left on the tour. Has a decent serve but overall not that impressive - just my view. Could well improve though and she is only 20.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I know I have been guilty of this but perhaps it is a bit disrespectful to call any player a scrub. However on the basis of what I have seen I really don't think Swan is anything special - even when I saw play most of the first set against Parmentier who surely does not have many years left on the tour. Has a decent serve but overall not that impressive - just my view. Could well improve though and she is only 20.
If she was from like Eastern Europe or even USA nobody would care about her. But because she's pretty much one of the top British prospects nevertheless she gets wild cards every Summer that help her keeping her ranking and bank account alive. But I had personal problems with her in the past so I'm probably biased anyway.

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
If she was from like Eastern Europe or even USA nobody would care about her. But because she's pretty much one of the top British prospects nevertheless she gets wild cards every Summer that help her keeping her ranking and bank account alive. But I had personal problems with her in the past so I'm probably biased anyway.
Personal problems with her? Used to be friends?

Wasn't she 1 match away from qualifying for the French Open? Defeated inform Teichmann along the way & led the Ilkley defending champion 5-0 in the third?

Cut her some slack.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
It never gets old... :sobbing:

Joko seems a bit more resistant to the pattern but it still happens with her too.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I didn't think being mentally weaker than Smitkova was even a possibility :hysteric: The more talented player won though, hopefully she can go a little further and avoid a massive ranking drop.

Reactions: HistoryOfBanana

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Oh Katie :eek:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I didn't think being mentally weaker than Smitkova was even a possibility :hysteric: The more talented player won though, hopefully she can go a little further and avoid a massive ranking drop.

Yes, being more mentally weak than Tereza requires considerable effort, unfortunately. :hysteric:

I hope Tereza doesn't win this again only to flop again to someone very beatable like Tomova last year. :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts