Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Team WTAworld, Senior Member
11,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, with Justine winning the French and US Open...I think this might make future match-ups with Venus and Serena much more interesting. Not that it might affect the outcome (and not that it can't), but I for one can't wait to see how she fares against them :). Congrats to her on her achievements :). The match i want to see most? Venus v. "The New" Justine :bounce: :bounce:

· Registered
3,472 Posts
Justine versus Venus...hmmmm...I think she would fare better against Serena. :cool:

· Registered
6,739 Posts
I think Venus will whip Justine next time they play.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Yeah, Justine has taken the next step and joined the elite players. It should be interesting indeed, when the sisters return how she will fare against them.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
TSequoia01 said:
Justine versus Venus...hmmmm...I think she would fare better against Serena. :cool:
I agree.

Justine has expressed many times that she doesn't like to play against Venus and that she does fair better against Serena. The only time Justine has beaten Venus was their first meeting in 01' in Berlin on clay.
However, Justine has beaten Serena three times all within the last two years.

The interesting thing about Venus is that she has a winning record against everyone in the top ten with the exception of Serena.
Venus loses more to relative no names outside of the tennis circles
than she has to many in the top ten.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
The Justine-Venus match-up is a bad one for Justine, because Venus is more patient than Serena....but equally poweful. So Justine can´t trick Venus in making errors like she does against Serena, because Venus likes to go into rallies.

But I don´t think Justine will keep on beating Serena as often. Look at what happened to Jen....after a while, she figures you out and than it´s good bye Juju.

· Keeper of Secrets
9,041 Posts
Dick Riley said:
I mean, with Justine winning the French and US Open...I think this might make future match-ups with Venus and Serena much more interesting. Not that it might affect the outcome (and not that it can't), but I for one can't wait to see how she fares against them :). Congrats to her on her achievements :). The match i want to see most? Venus v. "The New" Justine :bounce: :bounce:

ITA :)

· Registered
20,544 Posts
bandabou said:
The Justine-Venus match-up is a bad one for Justine, because Venus is more patient than Serena....but equally poweful. So Justine can´t trick Venus in making errors like she does against Serena, because Venus likes to go into rallies.

But I don´t think Justine will keep on beating Serena as often. Look at what happened to Jen....after a while, she figures you out and than it´s good bye Juju.
Justine is not Jen.

· Registered
20,544 Posts
bandabou said:
That´s true, but Serena´s still Serena!
so? I don't understand what point your trying to drive accross.
Jen started with a positive head to head against Serena because Serena wasn't as good as she is now when she started to play against Jen. Now Jen can't find a way to defeat Serena.
Justine is finding ways to defeat Serena on clay even when Serena is playing quality tennis. Albeit she still has a negative h2h against Serena, she is improving on all surfaces and can make the matches tight and close and maybe win them. Serena has already shown that she can improve on her technique and abilities on all surfaces and turned most of her negative h2hs around, I have not doubt that Justine can do the same. She already improved on her mental fortitude and on her strength and hardcourt tennis, if she can find a way to beat Kim and win all these hardcourt events, she can find a way to beat the sisters at a more consistent basis.

Of course the sisters also have the ability to prevent that from happening. But we shall see. :)

36,726 Posts
Ballbuster said:
At the Williams' current playing level - they can still rally to defeat her.

I think they are honning their skill up another level to bagel her.
:rolleyes:

Just admit that Justine has improved a lot. I'm not saying she's at the level of the Williams sisters yet. But she has improved, and she can definitly put up a fight. I can't believe there are still ignorants who give Justine no chances at all.

· Registered
47,657 Posts
shap_half said:
so? I don't understand what point your trying to drive accross.
Jen started with a positive head to head against Serena because Serena wasn't as good as she is now when she started to play against Jen. Now Jen can't find a way to defeat Serena.
Justine is finding ways to defeat Serena on clay even when Serena is playing quality tennis. Albeit she still has a negative h2h against Serena, she is improving on all surfaces and can make the matches tight and close and maybe win them. Serena has already shown that she can improve on her technique and abilities on all surfaces and turned most of her negative h2hs around, I have not doubt that Justine can do the same. She already improved on her mental fortitude and on her strength and hardcourt tennis, if she can find a way to beat Kim and win all these hardcourt events, she can find a way to beat the sisters at a more consistent basis.

Of course the sisters also have the ability to prevent that from happening. But we shall see. :)
Of course, of course....but did you watch the Wimbledon semi?! On fast surfaces there´s still a huge gap between Justine and the sisters. On fast surfaces the sisters major weapons: serve and groundstrokes become even more lethal. Beating Kim on hardcourts is easier than beating the sisters, because Kim is passive and the sisters ain´t. Reason?! The sisters are always dictating the match and on fast surfaces Justine can only track so much balls down.

It should be interesting indeed, to see if Justine can put a dent on other surfaces other than clay against the sisters or that the sisters can stop her clay domination.

· Registered
145 Posts
bandabou said:
Of course, of course....but did you watch the Wimbledon semi?! On fast surfaces there´s still a huge gap between Justine and the sisters. On fast surfaces the sisters major weapons: serve and groundstrokes become even more lethal. Beating Kim on hardcourts is easier than beating the sisters, because Kim is passive and the sisters ain´t. Reason?! The sisters are always dictating the match and on fast surfaces Justine can only track so much balls down.

It should be interesting indeed, to see if Justine can put a dent on other surfaces other than clay against the sisters or that the sisters can stop her clay domination.
I completely agree! I like Kim a lot, but she seems to be content with retrieving, and that's very annoying. It's all well and good with her splits, but she needs to take charge of games - as Venus and Serena do. They're offense, offense, offense.

· Registered
13,564 Posts
last year Justien wouldn't end in the top 5 (top 10 for some people)
At the beginning of this year Justine wouldn't win a slam
After RG Justine wouldn't win anythin an hard courts, wouldn't beat Kim, Linds, Jen, ... on hc
2 weeks ago Justine didn't had a chance to get far in the open
Yesterday she wouldn't win from Kim
Now she can't win from Venus or Serena ...

Watch out ... our Justine likes to surprise you all :devil:

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Dick Riley said:
We saw the new Justine in January vs. Venus and the result was the same; she lost.

11,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lizchris said:
We saw the new Justine in January vs. Venus and the result was the same; she lost.
:haha:...okay...I'm thinking the "post GS" Justine ;) :devil:

· Registered
20,884 Posts
Dick Riley said:
:haha:...okay...I'm thinking the "post GS" Justine ;) :devil:
We saw her vs. Serena at Wimbeldon and she lost, so considering her h2h against Venus, I am betting the results will be the same.

· Registered
1,409 Posts
----------------------------------------------
last year Justien wouldn't end in the top 5 (top 10 for some people)
At the beginning of this year Justine wouldn't win a slam
After RG Justine wouldn't win anythin an hard courts, wouldn't beat Kim, Linds, Jen, ... on hc
2 weeks ago Justine didn't had a chance to get far in the open
Yesterday she wouldn't win from Kim
Now she can't win from Venus or Serena ...

Watch out ... our Justine likes to surprise you all
---------------------------------------------

Interestingly, this is the SAME retoric that was being said about Venus and Serena in the late Nineties.
They will never be top ten!
They will never win slams!
They will never be #1
They are just an oddity in the current scheme of things.
IT is now TEN slams later with more to come!

In three years, Justine may very well have six or more to her credit! Time will tell!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.