Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That classic choke the Kim experienced at the 2003 Aussie Open has proven to be a larger factor in Clijster's career than originally expected. That GS loss to SERENA is apparently going to make the Belgium the only player in WTA history to be rated #1 without ever having won a GS title.

Kim may not finish out the year at the top spot and even if she were to remain #1, the odds of winning the 2004 AO are just about nill as she will have to go through JHH and the very focused duo of VENUS & SERENA.

Even though Clijsters will not win a slam while #1, the possibilities are still good that she will win a slam or two before her career with tennis ends and her career with Hewitt begins. :)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I shall confess Kim let me down yesterday.

·
Registered
10,834 Posts
great :bounce: At least she found her own little spot in history then :bounce:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I am sure Kim will do something about and be number one again AND win a slam, because she is way too good to go in the historybooks like this.
:bounce:

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I'm not dissing her, but watching her play really didn't strike me as a World No. 1. Sure she accumulated the points and where you are ranked is where you deserve to be, but Kim is lacking something that she needs to recapture, the fire that took her to a 12-10 third set vs Jen.

Kim knew Justine was pooped out, and that she could take advantage of a Williams-less draw. To simply say Justine was too good is not enough of a reason. She lost it because of her UEs and her mentality towards the match.

I really felt for her, but was happy that Justine won. Kim needs to ingrain a strong competitive spirit into her personality. Yeah she loves competing, but at the level where it counts, she has disappointed. I mean a 6-1 set to Justine on hardcourts is not what any of us would expect from Kim.

Kim's game is a solid Top 5 game, but it didn't look like she was finding a way to cause damage. She needs to be even MORE aggressive and really take the big points slower.

Kim will be vacating the No. 1 spot very soon and I think from thereon, it will be very difficult to get it back.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
"the only player in WTA history to be rated #1 without ever having won a GS title."
Are we talking here about someone who died? Or just retired?
Or are we talking about a 20-year old, who is having the best year of her young career?
So far, Kim has done better each year. It's actually hard for her to do better than this year but there is still the Slam. I am still pretty confident that, if no injury stops her, the first Slam will come.
And yes, she might lose the number 1 spot, but that might actually take away some stress from her when it comes to winning her first Slam.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joaco - You are in some serious denial, dude.
Dee - Good factual post.

Hagar - Just what part of Kim being the only #1 in WTA history without a slam is not currently true?
What you predicted is based on hope;
what I said is based on fact.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.