Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I do wish for her to do well just to :p at Singh, but she shouldn't play on the mens tour!

I remember when Serena said she wanted to play on the ATP tour a couple of years ago, an ATP official replied with "That's impossible for the simple reason she is no man" and we were all agreeing, so why would this case be different? In the Netherlands there's a squash player who plays in the mens competition too, and I just don't agree with that. If a woman dominates her sport, fine, why should she "prove" herself among the men then? Ok, domination might get boring, but women should play at their own tour, and don't make playing on the mens tour a feminisn issue! Doing well at your own tour is way better for the image of women sports.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I agree.
women should stick to their thing and men should do their thing. Here you have all women wanting equality, but all they want is to get out of it as much as they can that will benefit THEM. If they want equality, than men could also play on the women's tour. I agree they should get paid equally, but they should not play men and women, because men and women are NOT equal, men have benefits and women have benefits, that's why there are men and women, not just people with dicks and people with breasts.
My attempt failed to explain :p but oh well.
Golf is not a sport, so Annika should be up there higher than what she is.

·
Team WTAworld, Mr. Try Too Hard
52,159 Posts
She's not trying to prove herself among the men, she's trying a new challenge. After dominating the LPGA for 2 years, she wanted to see how she will fare against the men. She isn't doing this for the Tour, she's doing it for herself. I hope Annika plays well in her only PGA event.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
I think I agree in general, but for slightly different reasons. For me, the question is, if we demand that a female player has the right to test herself in a 'mens' event, what right do we have to exclude men from womens tour events?

Do we want seperate events for men and women, or not? I think, in most sports we do, because we want to see the best women compete and win. The problem is that that doesn't apply in every sport. There are some where you'd say, there's no need to have seperate events: equestrianism, motor racing, snooker, darts, even boxing (which already has weight classes to even things up). And yes, I know some of those sports do have seperate events for women, but they generally aren't stopped from entering the main, 'mixed' competitions too, which is why I don't think they should have womens events: it's hypocritical, and seems to be accepting defeat.

I suppose the question is, is golf one of those sports? I'd say it is.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I say it's fine because this will pave the way for 275 pound men to compete in the Miss America Pageant. :D

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
SuperDevil said:
I agree.
women should stick to their thing and men should do their thing. Here you have all women wanting equality, but all they want is to get out of it as much as they can that will benefit THEM. If they want equality, than men could also play on the women's tour. I agree they should get paid equally, but they should not play men and women, because men and women are NOT equal, men have benefits and women have benefits, that's why there are men and women, not just people with dicks and people with breasts.
My attempt failed to explain :p but oh well.
Golf is not a sport, so Annika should be up there higher than what she is.
annika was tired of dominating the womens tour... thats why she went to play against the men. it was made into a feminism issue cos the extreme feminist and the extreme sexist made it that way. men saying women shouldnt be playing on the tour... why? cos a mans fragile ego simply cant handle a woman being better at "his" sport. its as simple as that. ...men who still live by the belief that women are lesser than men.

and i dont understand your last sentence. how is golf NOT a sport? just cos it may not be as physical as other sports, it still requires a lot of skill... its not as easy as getting up to the tee and swinging the club and it the ball hundreds of feet. and what does "should be up there higher than what she is" mean?

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
decemberlove said:
annika was tired of dominating the womens tour... thats why she went to play against the men. it was made into a feminism issue cos the extreme feminist and the extreme sexist made it that way. men saying women shouldnt be playing on the tour... why? cos a mans fragile ego simply cant handle a woman being better at "his" sport. its as simple as that. ...men who still live by the belief that women are lesser than men.
I'm really sorry for her if she's tired of dominating the tour, but then do something else for a while! She's not a man so she shouldn't play on their tour. It's as simple as that. IMO it has nothing to do with feminism, anit-feminism or whatever. Women are not less than men, and I'm sure only a few men think they are.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
the PGA is not a men's tour. It's a male-dominated tour but nowhere in the rules does it say 'men can only play'. It's an 'understood'/societal rule that is being 'broken'.

When Zaharias did it 58 years ago, it wasn't a big deal. Now, it is. We sure have progressed, hunh?

And does it seriously upset you that she's playing on a tour not for her? If so, YOU need some activities. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
adnil said:
I'm really sorry for her if she's tired of dominating the tour, but then do something else for a while! She's not a man so she shouldn't play on their tour. It's as simple as that. IMO it has nothing to do with feminism, anit-feminism or whatever. Women are not less than men, and I'm sure only a few men think they are.
why should she do something else? her love is golf... she shouldnt have to do something else just cos men and women should be separate. if she can tee up against men, why shouldnt she?

i believe men should be able to play any womens sport he wants and vice versa. but the truth is, most womens sports seen as a step below mens sports, and thats why you dont see men knocking on the doors of womens clubs.

golf has a history of being a very racist/sexist sport. it was once seen as a sport only for white, wealthy men. people seem to forget that it was not that long ago that they opened their doors to people of colour. if it wasnt for tiger woods, their doors would probably still be closed.

can you give me one good reason why men and women should have to play on separate tours? if theyre equal, why cant a woman play on a mens tour and vice versa?

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
annika scored a birdie and she could've scored more birdies cause she had so many chances... but it's good to see her being able to compete with the men in golf...

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
decemberlove said:
why should she do something else? her love is golf... she shouldnt have to do something else just cos men and women should be separate. if she can tee up against men, why shouldnt she?

i believe men should be able to play any womens sport he wants and vice versa. but the truth is, most womens sports seen as a step below mens sports, and thats why you dont see men knocking on the doors of womens clubs.

golf has a history of being a very racist/sexist sport. it was once seen as a sport only for white, wealthy men. people seem to forget that it was not that long ago that they opened their doors to people of colour. if it wasnt for tiger woods, their doors would probably still be closed.

can you give me one good reason why men and women should have to play on separate tours? if theyre equal, why cant a woman play on a mens tour and vice versa?
I know golf is known as being very racist and sexist, but you can't compare those two imo, at least not at professional level. I don't say I think men and women have to play at separate tours, just when there's a men tour, a woman shouldn't play on it, and vice versa. If it's really nowhere in the rules that the PGA is for men only, then the WPGA (or whatever the official name is) shouldn't be for women only either.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
decemberlove said:
But by that logic, men should be allowed to play on the WTA Tour. How can you justify keeping men out of womens tournaments if women are allowed to play mens? Can you have it both ways?

Of course, in practice I think it's a good thing for womens golf (and therefore golf) and womens sport (and therefore sport) if Annika does well, I just think it raises some more fundamental questions about womens sport.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Like someone said, the PGA(professional golf association) is not for males only unlike the LPGA(ladies professional golf association) that is for women only! The PGA is for everyone that can play at that level. If a women is able to compete, I say why not! Good luck Annika!!!

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Too much press coverage............as Annika says.

She's doing it for herself not for the female race and people are being unfair to her by putting that much pressure on her

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Willow said:
But by that logic, men should be allowed to play on the WTA Tour. How can you justify keeping men out of womens tournaments if women are allowed to play mens? Can you have it both ways?

Of course, in practice I think it's a good thing for womens golf (and therefore golf) and womens sport (and therefore sport) if Annika does well, I just think it raises some more fundamental questions about womens sport.

i cant justify keeping men out of womens tournies... i didnt make the rules and i certainly do not believe in it. but how many men actually want to play on the womens tour? i think a man would really have to swallow his pride to play in a womens tourny. you know as well as i do that the lpga is not at the same level of intensity/play as the pga. very few women can hit the ball as far as the men on the pga [13 year old Michelle Wei, i believe, can actually hit it further than many men].

but like i said before, i dont think there should be a sex barrier on either tours.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts