Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is short excerpt from Turbo Tennis website:
"Type "A" players are usually characterized by good to excellent athleticism and usually possess at least one weapon in their arsenal of strokes. Type "A" players are usually those players who play their best on "auto pilot." They need to simply hit out and to play their games. If they are on and if their games suit the surface and opponents, Type "A" players usually prevail. However, they are also prone to some serious losses…often times against players that they believe they should beat.

Type "A" players can very easily "think" their way out of a match. They need to focus upon what they know best and play the style of tennis with which they feel most comfortable. Type "A" players do not perform well when they are taken out of their comfort zones. Execution is everything to a Type "A" player. They feel great pressure to win, and frequently, they are unable to control their emotions (positive or negative) on the court. When they are way down in a match, they usually show defeat in their eyes and body language. Often times, they hold onto their wins and losses longer than they should. When competing, Type "A" players may seem a bit one dimensional, but this is usually not a valid perception. Rather, Type "A" players just do not take advantage of all of their skills, strokes and abilities.

On the pro tours, Kafelnikov, Ivanisevic, Novotna and, to a lesser degree, Venus Williams are examples of Type "A" players.

Type "B" players are much more cerebral players. Frequently, they will be called "heady" players. They may possess a weapon or weapons, but they are willing to hit any shot. Sometimes, the Type "B" player takes the form of the dreaded "pusher." Type "B" players are usually probing their opponents for weaknesses. They generally approach the game with effective "counterpunching." They are not afraid to dominate a weaker opponent, but more often than not, the Type "B" player is helping her/his opponent lose. Quite often, Type "B" players are real students of the game of tennis. They are always looking for a new way to win. Type "B" players may show some emotion on the court (positive or negative), but these usually dissipate rather quickly. Stability, patience and persistence are the mainstay of the Type "B" player’s. game. Type "B" players usually know exactly what and why things happen in a match. They are learners and are constantly improving their games…many times without the assistance of a coach or a teaching pro. On collegiate, high school and club levels, Type "B" players fair very well.

On the pro tours, Martina Hingis, Sanchez-Vicario, Michael Chang, Kucera, and of course, John McEnroe (emotional outbursts notwithstanding) exemplify the Type "B" player.

Now, you may ask: "Where do I place people like Sampras, Agassi, Graf, Davenport, et al?" Well, the answer is really quite simple…they are both. Most often, I find that these truly great players began their careers as essentially Type "A" players who through experience and proper coaching were capable of integrating a Type "B" strategic approach to their games. In my opinion, this is why they become truly great players."

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Nice post. I would disagree that Venus would fall into Category A. She definitely has a thinking game and would be a strong "both".

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Duh, my fave player type is Martina Hingis! ;)

But as an ACTUAL answer, I'd still go with Type B.
1stly, and obviously, Martina is evactly that.

and 2ndly, I don't like players that "just" hit the ball. I know thats not what they only do, but it seems that way, if you know what I mean.

And again, DUH, my fave player type is MARTINA HINGIS! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
This quote from Billie Jean King sticks out in my mind...heard it during the Aussie Open...

"good shot selection equals talent"

1 question, where does Pat Rafter fit? I'd say probably more of type A than type B, although his game is more touch than power...
Anyone?

:confused:

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,834 Posts
Well, My JenJen would have to be a Type A!

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I think Kim would probably be more or less Type B...

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
that would be both ;)
cause i like both jana and martina
maybe type B a little more...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts