Tennis Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years we've been listening that women's tennis is popular more than ever, how we have so many characters, high drama, that now is the golden era of women's tennis. It appeared to be this way. Now I'm not sure. 2 players out of US Open, and we have such fatalistic prognoses - that nobody will care for women's tennis unless V&S are there.
I know they are popular, as well as they should be, but they ARE NOT women's tennis, and people should know that. Apparently they don't.
It looks like 1994 all over again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,884 Posts
Joana said:
For years we've been listening that women's tennis is popular more than ever, how we have so many characters, high drama, that now is the golden era of women's tennis. It appeared to be this way. Now I'm not sure. 2 players out of US Open, and we have such fatalistic prognoses - that nobody will care for women's tennis unless V&S are there.
I know they are popular, as well as they should be, but they ARE NOT women's tennis, and people should know that. Apparently they don't.
It looks like 1994 all over again...
We'll know how popular it is after the ratings for the women's final are avaiable the day after.

Venus and Serena aren't women's tennis, but when TIME magazine decided to do a cover story on the popularity of women's tennis in September 2001, the Williams sisters were on the cover. And when the SI tennis writer decided to write a book on women's tennis, he titled it Venus Envy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,257 Posts
I feel that women's tennis is in better condition. Why? Because now I feel that it isn't only a couple of women who are dominating the sport.
Okay. Yes we all know that the Williams sisters and the two Belgians are leading the pack....but I feel that the others are catching up.
I wouldn't want to see the same 3 or 4 women always making it to the finals.
I like to see variety in players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Yes, exactly. This year's been a much better year, since Serena has won two Slams and two different players have won the remaining two (I know Henin is still to be considered for the US Open, but I reckon Clijsters will probably overcome her Grand Slam block and win in New York). Hopefully next year we can see a different winner for each of the four Slams, with the Belgians consolidating their inital Slam breakthroughs, and then in a couple of years' time we might even see the Russian Revolution finally occur in a Grand Slam. Not to mention poor old Mauresmo, who if she ever gets back to fitness is a deserving Slam candidate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
I think that women's tennis was at its best in '98 and '99, when you had the bunch of new players (Hingis/Venus/Serena/Kournikova) playing against the veterans (Seles/Graf/Novotna/ASV), and with Davenport and Pierce in the mix. Right now it's too predictable.

It could be better in 2003, if the Belgians improve a little, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
While it is too early to write the final chapter of this saga, women's tennis is not what it was just a couple of years ago.

The departure of Martina, the near departure of Anna and Monica and the long absences of the Williams sisters are clearly hurting the women's side of the sport.

A sport like tennis, which is basically an individual sport and not a team sport, needs big personalities who can capture the public's imagination. While there are promising people on the horizon, like Sharapova and possibly Hackleroad in America,there are not yet proven entities.

I am a fan of both Kim and Justine, but neither strikes me as having the kind of persona that transcends their tennis skills. Four of the five women mentioned above, Martina, Anna, Venus and Serena, had the quality that made them stars over and above tennis.

Monica had the quality when younger, then was stabbed and became an icon because of the stabbing.

But without these five around, the sport is suffering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,884 Posts
TonyP said:
While it is too early to write the final chapter of this saga, women's tennis is not what it was just a couple of years ago.

The departure of Martina, the near departure of Anna and Monica and the long absences of the Williams sisters are clearly hurting the women's side of the sport.

A sport like tennis, which is basically an individual sport and not a team sport, needs big personalities who can capture the public's imagination. While there are promising people on the horizon, like Sharapova and possibly Hackleroad in America,there are not yet proven entities.

I am a fan of both Kim and Justine, but neither strikes me as having the kind of persona that transcends their tennis skills. Four of the five women mentioned above, Martina, Anna, Venus and Serena, had the quality that made them stars over and above tennis.

Monica had the quality when younger, then was stabbed and became an icon because of the stabbing.

But without these five around, the sport is suffering.
This is one of the few times I agree with you. If the USO didn't think they would suffer without the sisters or Anna, or Martina (who I don't think is going to ever play again), then why did USA Cable allegedly hire Anna as some sort of reporter? Also, why did CNN schedule to interview Serena at 8:00 on Monay night, knowing that a woman's match would be in progress (after the Pete Samplas retirement ceremony)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
No question, they are scrambling to get at the stars any way they can. And while there might be a little value in this, it's not like having them on the court competing in matches.

Ironically, Martina, Anna, Venus and Serena were all stars before they actually joined the WTA tour. They brought star power with them when they arrived.

You can, over a long period of time, acquire a degree of star power purely through your tennis skills, but usually, only within your sport.

Pete Sampras is the ironic proof of that. While Pete is arguably the second best tennis player on the men's side who ever lived (second only to Laver), he has never become an American sports icon. He remains less well known to the public than McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, perhaps even Borg and he isn't an American. There will be an aweful lot written about Pete now that he is stepping down and so he will become better known, but I don't think you are going to see replays of his great matches, as you did all the great Borg/McEnroe match ups at Wimbledon.

Off the court, Pete is not as dull as he has been painted, but his brand of big serving tennis was never very exciting on the court.

They are already replaying the great Martina/Venus match ups as classics and they will continue to do so over the years. That's because both played with not just skill, but flare. They were great matches to watch.

And then there's their off court personality and star power which pretty much drawfs anything Pete ever had.

Unfortunately, I see no one right now who can match that on the women's side, so if Venus and Serena continue to take extended breaks for tennis or even chose to follow Martina into early retirement because of injuries, this sport will sink into the dolldrums until someone comes along again with star power.
 

·
Veelieve!!!
Joined
·
33,802 Posts
TonyP said:
While it is too early to write the final chapter of this saga, women's tennis is not what it was just a couple of years ago.

The departure of Martina, the near departure of Anna and Monica and the long absences of the Williams sisters are clearly hurting the women's side of the sport.

A sport like tennis, which is basically an individual sport and not a team sport, needs big personalities who can capture the public's imagination. While there are promising people on the horizon, like Sharapova and possibly Hackleroad in America,there are not yet proven entities.

I am a fan of both Kim and Justine, but neither strikes me as having the kind of persona that transcends their tennis skills. Four of the five women mentioned above, Martina, Anna, Venus and Serena, had the quality that made them stars over and above tennis.

Monica had the quality when younger, then was stabbed and became an icon because of the stabbing.

But without these five around, the sport is suffering.
Stop !!!! I actually agree with TonyP :p :lol: :tape:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,908 Posts
I think its better now than it was a few years ago, not in terms of personalities and all that, but in terms of competitiveness. Right now theres about 7 players who can win a Slam when all healthy and 100%, in the late 90's i think there were only about 3 or 4 who could at the most.
Of course thats all gone when theres so many injuries like now, but if the whole top 8 were in good form and competing it would be such an exciting US Open.
I do agree however that the Belgians arent really interesting or marketable, like the Williams sisters are but they are good for the sport in terms of their tennis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,884 Posts
TonyP said:
No question, they are scrambling to get at the stars any way they can. And while there might be a little value in this, it's not like having them on the court competing in matches.

Ironically, Martina, Anna, Venus and Serena were all stars before they actually joined the WTA tour. They brought star power with them when they arrived.

You can, over a long period of time, acquire a degree of star power purely through your tennis skills, but usually, only within your sport.

Pete Sampras is the ironic proof of that. While Pete is arguably the second best tennis player on the men's side who ever lived (second only to Laver), he has never become an American sports icon. He remains less well known to the public than McEnroe, Connors, Agassi, perhaps even Borg and he isn't an American. There will be an aweful lot written about Pete now that he is stepping down and so he will become better known, but I don't think you are going to see replays of his great matches, as you did all the great Borg/McEnroe match ups at Wimbledon.

Off the court, Pete is not as dull as he has been painted, but his brand of big serving tennis was never very exciting on the court.

They are already replaying the great Martina/Venus match ups as classics and they will continue to do so over the years. That's because both played with not just skill, but flare. They were great matches to watch.

And then there's their off court personality and star power which pretty much drawfs anything Pete ever had.

Unfortunately, I see no one right now who can match that on the women's side, so if Venus and Serena continue to take extended breaks for tennis or even chose to follow Martina into early retirement because of injuries, this sport will sink into the dolldrums until someone comes along again with star power.

I agree with you again! Believe me, if there is any type of rain dealy during the CBS coverage of the USO, you will see past footage from the Williams sisters, Hingis, Seles and Sampras.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
TonyP said:
While it is too early to write the final chapter of this saga, women's tennis is not what it was just a couple of years ago.

The departure of Martina, the near departure of Anna and Monica and the long absences of the Williams sisters are clearly hurting the women's side of the sport.

A sport like tennis, which is basically an individual sport and not a team sport, needs big personalities who can capture the public's imagination. While there are promising people on the horizon, like Sharapova and possibly Hackleroad in America,there are not yet proven entities.

I am a fan of both Kim and Justine, but neither strikes me as having the kind of persona that transcends their tennis skills. Four of the five women mentioned above, Martina, Anna, Venus and Serena, had the quality that made them stars over and above tennis.

Monica had the quality when younger, then was stabbed and became an icon because of the stabbing.

But without these five around, the sport is suffering.
excellent and insightfull post
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top