Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it did recently ditch the obnoxious :rolleyes: curtsy,but in my opinion they could stand to change a few other things: play on the middle Sunday and have first come first serve ticket sales,and do the same thing for the final on the last Saturday.If they sold the tickets that way the crowd that would attend would be alot like the one that Rafter/Goran had during their final couple of years ago.Anything is better than the usual 14,000 or so corpse's that usually take in the final,I also wouldn't mind seeing the all white attire relaxed.Last but not least,could the uptight wanks who operate the tournament not take it and themselfs soooo seriously....your're running a tennis tournament,not curing cancer.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I disagree with you. I've always admired the Wimbledon tradition. In fact, I like that each Grand Slam has, so to speak, its own distinct personality.
Wearing all white, no matches on the middle Sunday, the attendance of royalty, lines women in dresses, strawberries and cream, etc is all part of its history. There is enough raucous behaviour at the other Grand Slam events to compensate for the sedate atmosphere of Centre Court.

·
Senior Member,
378 Posts
right

squawk box said:
Yes it did recently ditch the obnoxious :rolleyes: curtsy,but in my opinion they could stand to change a few other things: play on the middle Sunday and have first come first serve ticket sales,and do the same thing for the final on the last Saturday.If they sold the tickets that way the crowd that would attend would be alot like the one that Rafter/Goran had during their final couple of years ago.Anything is better than the usual 14,000 or so corpse's that usually take in the final,I also wouldn't mind seeing the all white attire relaxed.Last but not least,could the uptight wanks who operate the tournament not take it and themselfs soooo seriously....your're running a tennis tournament,not curing cancer.
I absolutely agree to you. Sometimes I feel like people are attracted to traditions, I like traditions as well, but not when they are so senseless....

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
squawk box said:
I agree with you in principle, but when you hear the players talking about Wimbledon it still holds the most awe for them, so we have to wonder whether they want it changed. Getting rid of curtseying is a great idea - the players must feel ridiculous doing it (and lets face it most of them look ridiculous doing it). Mind you, Queen Serena will probably expect everyone to curtsey to her now instead.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If the traditions are so senseless, why bother moaning about them?, Wimbledon has its ways and has done for over 100 years- why should it change?. None of the players feel really strongly about all white or not playing on sundays. Never understood why people think traditions are bad things- not everything has to move forward. But i wish the woulndt turn the bloody chairs the wrong way out, i hate it when the players dont turn them around to face the court!!!!Although women should get paid the same as men, the french should take note of that point aswell!!.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kiswana said:
I disagree with you. I've always admired the Wimbledon tradition. In fact, I like that each Grand Slam has, so to speak, its own distinct personality.
Wearing all white, no matches on the middle Sunday, the attendance of royalty, lines women in dresses, strawberries and cream, etc is all part of its history. There is enough raucous behaviour at the other Grand Slam events to compensate for the sedate atmosphere of Centre Court.
Ah those green floaty dresses.. you just have to love 'em ;)
Seriously it's just... Wimbledon.
Imagine the USopen without the booming music in between games and the cellular phones ( :rolleyes: ).. it's all just part of the atmosphere imho.
So royalty attend Wimbledon. I've seen Bill Clinton (USO), Kylie Minougue (AusO) and today Bush sr (Rome) on different occasions. Same thing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts