Registered
16,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or have the glory years gone by?

There's no roof, no night matches with lights, no sunday matches, no equal
pay for the ladies, and there are more clay court events than grass
events. Is WIMBLEDON still the grandest? Has the people's event
really gone toward the Australian Open? Is Roland Garros the hardest
grand slam to win? Is the US OPEN a bigger spectacle?

What's your call?

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
for me all grand slams have the same worth afterall the players have to do the same to be able to win it in all 4

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wimbledon is different.
But in my opinion the French Open are the greatest event of the year.
(Wimby is a bit too fast for me ... aces&serve&volley can be quite boring after a week...)

·
25,358 Posts
It's still the Queen. Those who don't like football will still watch the World Cup because it's the World Cup.

As for the US, French, or Aussie Opens-how many other events carry the title? The US Open is also a golf event. Mention Wimbledon and even Joe Blow knows what you mean.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well, I'll still be watching Wimbledon, because it is Wimbledon, but no one can stop me from prefering the French, simply because I love claycourt tennis.

Wimbledon has the biggest tradition, however that's not an argument to love as far as I'm concerned

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I'd say Wimbledon is the greatest. Most Americans would agree and put the USO second. The other two grand slams, there's little interest for me, unless my faves are in the finals. The colors, the tradition and the fact that there's only a few grass tournies makes it even more prestigious. In short, I love Wimby. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts