Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,733 Posts
No I think when Iva beat Martina it was a far bigger shock.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
It was a big upset but hardly the biggest in GS history, lol. Congrats to Maria a terrific game, but as Serena said, she wasn't 100% today.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Iva was ranked 7 and set a record. Then Capriati beat the record. I think she was ranked 12. Maria is ranked 15, I believe that's the new record.

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Spunky83 said:
No, I think Seles and another player were seeded lower and managed to win.

Seles won all her slams being seeded at least at #2 (even at FO 90).

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
sharapova was seeded 10 and serena number 1 AT WIMBLEDON...

on tru rankings, they're not that distant from each other.. so it's not that shocking.. according to wimbledon's ranking it is.. but anyway its shocking because anyone expect serena or venus to win at anyday in wimbledon so

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
When Serena was ranked number 10 and she lost to people ranked above her, it was considered a big upset. :)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
yes, to me this was the biggest considering the dominance of Serena Williams in the slams and Wimbledon. Maria, only her 4th career title (never won anything above a T3) and the manner she dismissed the great Serena Williams was :eek: :eek: :eek: In the biggest stage in tennis.

I reiterate, for the first time, there was finally a match that was NOT on Serena Williams's hands. The manner that Sprem and Sharapova dismissed the Williamses and Davenport in this tournament signals another batch of hard hitting babes ready to take over.

Speaking of the youngies, the Russians are also THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW. We can't dimiss that fact because since April:

-Kirilenko gives Serena a scare in an early round match in Roland Garros.
-Nadia Petrova beats Serena in Amelia Island.
-Dementieva upsets Venus in Miami.
-Kuznetsova finally beats Henin-Hardenne and Venus in the middle east.
-Myskina beats Venus and Capriati in RG.
-All Russian Final in Paris.
-4 Straight tournaments with Russians hoisting the trophy (Paris,Birmingham,Eastbourne, and now the BIG one).
-Sharapova spanking Davenport and Serena in the finals.

Right now, for sure they are the best country. It's too bad Sharapova won't play in the Olympics (Petrova should be ashame of herself for taking that last singles spot). ;)

·
Registered
47,499 Posts
No doubt about it...the Russians have come. Today Maria just took advantage of Serena´s tendencies...she was guessing right most of the time in that Serena was gonna go cross-court,etc...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I dont think its an upset coz Maria won... playing amazingly, serena didnt play her best... that's true but Maria was playin perfectly ;)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Nothing is taken away from Serena Williams at this tournament (what a class act the way she ushered Maria in the trophy ceremonies;)); except for the fact that she is slowly joining the list of "veterans" that these young players don't fear any more. This is sport, and is a natural progression. It happened to Seles, Hingis, Venus, and Serena will have to fight these youngies from now on. I'm still shocked with the way Sharapova played out of this world in the grandest stage in tennis- Wimbledon!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts