Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Venus Williams an underachiever? I know Venus is a champion with five grand slam titles and reached the world number 1 ranking. However, I expected more from her? Serena it looks like she will fulfill her complete potential. Venus it looks like she has fallen off the face of the earth. I saw the photo of Venus in the Yahoo Tennis news section it was so depressing. Venus head hanging down looking defeated.

I don't know what the average age is for this board but I remember when I was like fourteen years old in 1991 and Sports Illustrated had an article about a young black girl named Venus Williams. I also recall reading Ebony magazine back in the early 1990s and Venus Williams was being highlighted as the new black tennis superstar. I didn't hear anything about Serena until 1997. I didn't even know Serena played tennis until I saw her defeat Davenport at the tuneup at the Sydney event in 1998. And after that Serena rose like a phoenix.

I think its do or die for Venus Williams she has to decide if she really wants it. Venus already is a multi millionaire she doesn't need the money but where is her pride? I mean I have a sister and I would HATE IT if my sister got all the attention and I was ignored. And that's what I find so strange about Venus she is willing to let Serena have all the glory as she fades into the background once again.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm a huge Williams' sisters supporter but I would definitely have to say that she is an under-achiever. I will give her some leeway in that injuries have changed alot of her destiny BUT her stubborn-ness has also played a major factor. People have been talking about her unforced errors & 2nd serve issues for 7 years now and Venus has done nothing different to change it. At one point, she was so good that she could get away with it. Now she can't & STILL refuses to change. I've never heard of Venus doing what Serena did at the Aussie Open & requesting tapes of Gonzalez' matches so she could study how he was hitting so many winners without the errors.

Venus Venus Oh My Venus - When When When - I'm Beginning to think the answer is NEVER

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
I think at this point she is probably depressed,I feel for Venus more than Serena because she appears vulnerable .I hope she will have a secondary coach like Zina to help her with her game she really needs a new voice before she become the laughing stock of wta.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Venus has too many technical issues with her game for her or her parents to fix. We saw what Bollettieri did for Serena while she was laid off in 2006 and before the Australian: that's what Venus needs. Venus needs the highest level of correction to fix her engrained technical problems. Then and only then will her unforced errors go down and she'll start winning matches easily again.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Venus is an underachiever, but not in terms of slams won. She is because, through injury and perhaps an additional lack of desire or dedication, her game has more often than not not been at its highest level.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Venus has too many technical issues with her game for her or her parents to fix. We saw what Bollettieri did for Serena while she was laid off in 2006 and before the Australian: that's what Venus needs. Venus needs the highest level of correction to fix her engrained technical problems. Then and only then will her unforced errors go down and she'll start winning matches easily again.

I keep hearing what Bollettieri did for Serena. As far as I know Serena goes to Bollettieri for physical training and to hit with the boys there. Serena and Venus always went there two weeks before a grandslam also.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
on the contrary, i think her achievements outclass her ability. she has worked hard to keep herself in great shape for a very long time and has used her fitness to overcome her incredibly obvious technical flaws.

overachiever if i ever saw one.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Why are people still talking about this? That same stuborness and game got her to where she is. When she makes 55 errors in a match and loses 7-5 in a third set her mindset isn't damn I should have pulled back and won, I think it's wow if two more balls would have landed in, I would have won the match. How people can write her off and say she is an underachiever is astonishing to me because she's still one of the fittest players on tour and has one of the biggest games as well. We also need to remember that the slams are what go down in history and only 5 women have been able to bring it in slams since Venus won her 05 Wimbledon, so if your fave isn't one of those 5, you absolutely really need to shut it up lol.

Reactions: Nemo_Kool

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
on the contrary, i think her achievements outclass her ability. she has worked hard to keep herself in great shape for a very long time and has used her fitness to overcome her incredibly obvious technical flaws.

overachiever if i ever saw one.
You do know that everyone can see right through you....right?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Venus did not underachieve.

what I find so strange about Venus she is willing to let Serena have all the glory as she fades into the background once again.
Venus' biggest competition was Serena who is simply more talented than her. Venus could of won 10 slams had it not been for her sister. She would of dominated the tour with her game.:tape: :help:

What more did you expect?

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Venus did not underachieve.

Venus' biggest competition was Serena who is simply more talented than her. Venus could of won 10 slams had it not been for her sister. She would of dominated the tour with her game.:tape: :help:

What more did you expect?
Don't forget Capriati though. In the years that Venus actually did dominate the tour over Serena & others, Capriati won 2 Aussies & a French.

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
Venus is an underachiever, but not in terms of slams won. She is because, through injury and perhaps an additional lack of desire or dedication, her game has more often than not not been at its highest level.
do you have to butt negatively in every thread concerning venus and serena?she is struggling now but by wta standards she overachieved.i dont have to quote her records to you because you are blinded by bias.i bet you jj would swap her records with venus celebrity and records in a heartbeat.:fiery:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
How many titles and Grand Slams must one win to be considered a good tennis player ?
Jesus, if SHE is an underacheiver what do you call the REST of the top 100 ???

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
do you have to butt negatively in every thread concerning venus and serena?she is struggling now but by wta standards she overachieved.i dont have to quote her records to you because you are blinded by bias.i bet you jj would swap her records with venus celebrity and records in a heartbeat.:fiery:
You need to give it a rest. I say more positive things in my honest opinions of Venus & Serena IN ONE DAY than you will about Jankovic in your life. You are a troll, most people on this board know that, and I have no desire to respond to you. So stop attacking me at every chance you get.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
underachiever?

5 grand slam titles (three of them wimbledon) and a millionaire by the time she's in her early 20s.

i'd like to underachieve just like that.

the reality is that, when there is a dominating force (serena) on the tour, lots of players will look like underachievers. graf made everyone except seles look like an underachiever.

venus thankfully got it when she could. her dumb losses as of late make me nervous.

but, hopefully things will turn around when grass comes along.

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
You need to give it a rest. I say more positive things in my honest opinions of Venus & Serena IN ONE DAY than you will about Jankovic in your life. You are a troll, most people on this board know that, and I have no desire to respond to you. So stop attacking me at every chance you get.
you are the 'troll'in every serena or venus thread!i am bothered by seing you in every one of their threads putting them down.get a life and glorify jj all you want in her threads.:fiery:

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
i have wanting to create a thread like this for a long time now..!!!

yes she is an underachiever...
i really have never seen such woman move like a gazelle on a tennis court like that...
i mean...!! in her zurich 98' match against pierce...
where i keep on watching on youtube...
she seems sooo unbeatable..

i really dont know why she keeps on letting those UE get into her...
why cant she just play without the errors...
i mean.. she has lost lots of finals with those UEs...
her career titles should have gone over 50 by now...
she is by far a better tennis player than Davenport, Hingis and Henin
yet she has more off days than the all of the wta players...
counting on their ability..

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
As disappointed as I am with Venus right now, I can't bring myself to call someone with 5 Slams an underachiever. Venus is truly struggling right now, but there are a number of other talented tennis players out there who are not winning tournaments i.e. Roddick, Blake, Safin, Hewitt, Henman, etc. We don't know what Venus is doing to address her issues because we don't know her. All I know is that Venus knows more about tennis than I ever will know. Therefore, she knows that she needs to fix some things about her game. If she decides not to get a new coach, it's her business. I simply can't stress over Vee's game like I used to because like she says, "I've never lost a match while sitting in the stands."

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
People - no one is not giving her credit for the 5 slams. That's something to be extremely proud of. In fact, I'm thankful everyday that I'm a fan of Venus rather than even a Mauresmo or Clijsters. My point is Venus is better than even 5 Slams. I think she has underachieved because she should atleast have 8 - maybe even 10. Of course, some of that is due to injuries but some is also due to her stubborn attitude to REALLY TAKE SOME SERIOUS ACTION and fixing her second serve.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
She is the greatest underachiever on the tour by far and it's so sad because shes such a great champion and person...she's full of humility and beauty as a person...i hope she can do something big soon!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts