Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me, but I find it really suspicious this time. Just hours before her interview. she gave an interview to BBC, which was posted somewhere in this forum and in which she says that she isn't 100% but will play. And, her agents were giving all the signal that she will play. So, what changed? I don't know. May be she took a page out of Martina Hingis' strategy book, analysed all the competition, reached a conclusion that her chance of winning are not that great with the Belgians and others in great form, and decided to give USO a pass. I don't think she is 100% yet, but I have a feeling she could have played.

Okay, that is my opinion.

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
yea, thats it, Venus is scared of a lil competition

have you actually ever read any Venus interviews etc? i doubt she was shitting her pants at the prospect of playing the two Belgians ;)

·
Registered
27,056 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:

have you actually ever read any Venus interviews etc? i doubt she was shitting her pants at the prospect of playing the two Belgians ;)
:haha:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
eta psi said:
Forgive me, but I find it really suspicious this time. Just hours before her interview. she gave an interview to BBC, which was posted somewhere in this forum and in which she says that she isn't 100% but will play. And, her agents were giving all the signal that she will play. So, what changed? I don't know. May be she took a page out of Martina Hingis' strategy book, analysed all the competition, reached a conclusion that her chance of winning are not that great with the Belgians and others in great form, and decided to give USO a pass. I don't think she is 100% yet, but I have a feeling she could have played.

Okay, that is my opinion.
You've got to be kidding me right? Venus has never backed down from any competition. Against the Belgians, Venus is currently 3-0 this year. She wasn't 100% at Wimbledon, but certainly had no problem taking out Davenport in the quarterfinals and Clijsters in the semifinals. She beat Henin-Hardenne at the AO without having played any warmup events. Venus has had great success at the USO and I'm sure that she would have played if she felt it was possible.

Sorry, but your opinion really doesn't have any merit based on Venus' performances this year, especially at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
No...... she's pregnant! :rolleyes:

·
Veelieve!!!
33,802 Posts
apoet29 said:
You've got to be kidding me right? Venus has never backed down from any competition. Against the Belgians, Venus is currently 3-0 this year. She wasn't 100% at Wimbledon, but certainly had no problem taking out Davenport in the quarterfinals and Clijsters in the semifinals. She beat Henin-Hardenne at the AO without having played any warmup events. Venus has had great success at the USO and I'm sure that she would have played if she felt it was possible.

Sorry, but your opinion really doesn't have any merit based on Venus' performances this year, especially at Wimbledon.
:worship: :worship: :kiss: :wavey:

·
Registered
20,768 Posts
Sweets_SJW said:

lol :haha: I'm not a williams fan at all but you're a 100 :% right

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
apoet29 said:

Actually I am not kidding. I know she never backs down and what you state about her record is true. But, why didn't she withdraw before the draw appeared? If her injury is that serious, I think she would have been able to determine whether she will play or not a bit earlier. And, then there is that BBC interview where she sounded so optimistic. I find it quite strange that within hours her whole attitude about playing in the USO changed drastically. If it was a new injury she suffered it would have been understandable.

All right, let me rephrase the question: do you think venus would have played if her draw was any easier?

·
Banned
27,238 Posts
eta psi said:
Actually I am not kidding. I know she never backs down and what you state about her record is true. But, why didn't she withdraw before the draw appeared? If her injury is that serious, I think she would have been able to determine whether she will play or not a bit earlier. And, then there is that BBC interview where she sounded so optimistic. I find it quite strange that within hours her whole attitude about playing in the USO changed drastically. If it was a new injury she suffered it would have been understandable.

All right, let me rephrase the question: do you think venus would have played if her draw was any easier?
Venus plays when Venus decides that Venus is 100%. her half coulda had 64 Alex Stevensons but if shes less than fully fit, she wont step foot on that court.

some get frustrated, some may make smart remarks...but at the end of the day she's 100% correct for doing so

·
Banned
822 Posts
She withdrew with her tale between her legs.
She shoulda or coulda made up her mind before the draw was out. I think she decided to wait until the very last moment. It musta been a very tough decision on her part as she's always said she feels most belonging at the Open which is like her yard.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
eta psi said:

Rephrasing the question doesn't make your insinuation any different. Venus was injured during Wimbledon, but still elected to play with Clijsters and Davenport in her draw. I doubt she looked at her USO draw and decided to withdraw based on that. Venus has been pro long enough to know that any player has to deal with the draw she is given. Venus played both the FO and Wimbledon against the advice of her doctor and family and friends because she wanted to play so badly. As such, her injuried were probably aggravated as a result and she has decided not to take a chance this time.

Since IW 01, people tend to look at any Williams sister's withdrawals with suspicion. Only Venus knows how she feels and at the time of the BBC interview, she may have still hoped that she could play. Playing through seven grueling matches may have caused considerable strain on her body and if she is dealing with the pain, Venus may have elected to bow out.

The fact is that Venus is not playing. I'm sure she truly wanted to. After all, this was one of her best chances to win a slam without having to live in the shadow of lil sis.

Life can change drastically in a matter of hours. We don't know what is going on in Venus' life, so it is unfair to look upon her withdrawal with suspicion.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.