Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is It Time To Automatically Have Venus and Serena On Opposite Sides Of The Draw?

Let's face it, with Maria out, at the moment, the rest of the field in the top 10 so weak .
Three semi-finalists of the last tier I tournament (The Great IW that was so better w/o WS) are already out, w/o having met either Williams.

And yet, both sisters could meet in the semi.

Yes, yes, I know it should not be done arbitrarily, but the case can be made, as it some time done at GS, RG or Wimby, that seeding should reflect what is best for the tournament.

And for the next few weeks, Venus and Serena being on opposite half is the sensible thing for any tournament.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
It's time for Venus to play a bit more and raise her ranking to No. 2 where she actually should be. Her holding three very big titles in her ranking and one smaller should be higher than she is.

·
Registered
395 Posts
(shrugs) I don't know why people suggest this. Venus has slumped to 5th because of "mixed" results, not because of a gypsy curse or a conspiracy. She exited the Australian Open in Round 2, to non-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro, for goodness sake.

If if was the case that she'd only been beaten by Serena recently then I could understand the sentiment, but that's not the case.

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
Venus needs to improve her ranking. Serena's done what she's needed to do.

The.End.

Reactions: mckyle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
"Her holding three very big titles"

Hmm. I only count Wimbledon and the WTA. What are you counting as the other big title?

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the ranking says they deserve to be seeded 1 and 2, yes.
As I said in earlier post, tournaments do not always go by ranking.

RG and Wimby often decides, in the best interest of tournament, to slightly deviate from the WTA/ATP raking, and seed the players for a more exciting tourney.

Some posters are dismissing the idea, with the logical answers of having the seeding mimic the WTA ranking. However, I wouldn't be surprise if more some organizers explore this idea.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
Venus needs to play more consistently year round and play a few more events.

Her ranking still has a Miami QF flop in it, Rome QF flop, and a Roland Garros 3R. Do not forget that her US Hardcourt summer has NOTHING in it.

After Roland Garros, Venus should be safely #3 if she keeps up this form -- which is not a given. Maybe #2 if Safina loses early at the French.

Regardless, if Serena is #1 at Wimbledon, Wimbledon will bump Venus to #2.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Why don't we just play one match - a final -between them and call it a tournament? Or better yet - let them decide without playing a match who holds a trophey for photograph sessions and cash in the check?

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
PS. And I can't believe ppl here actually SERIOUSLY discussing it and offering arguments................... :rolls:

·
Registered
40,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PS. And I can't believe ppl here actually SERIOUSLY discussing it and offering arguments................... :rolls:
I do take it seriously.

It has been done before.

I would not be surprised if, some tournament officials,outside of the GS, given the state of the WTA right now, give some consideration to this idea.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
2/4 AO semi-finalists are already out in Miami and we had a semi-final Razzano/Kanepi at Dubai earlier this year and yet the only tournament you seem to complain about is IW...

As long as they aren't #1 and #2 on the ranking it's okay like it is now, even though they are playing like the two best players in the world.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Why don't you bugger off and start your own "Whinging about the Williams forum" somewhere far away!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts