Tennis Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you call Martina Hingis "Chucky" to her face? If so, do you have other nicknames you use for players based on their personal appearance? Secondly, you say she was a "foil" for the Williams sisters. Do you realize that Hingis finished her career with 16-16 against them -- 10-9 against Venus; 6-7 against Serena. Can you think of any other woman on the Tour who has played them that many times and compiled that kind of record? --Tony, Los Angeles

Coined by Mary Carillo, "Chucky" is a term of endearment that pokes fun at the demeanor and wry smile Hingis featured while thrashing opponents. Nothing pejorative based on "physical appearance." While I will concede that I never called Hingis "Chucky" to her face, I can't imagine she she would take offense. The nickname is probably five years old and, besides, Hingis didn't have half as much diva in her as people thought.

As for your other point, true, Hingis has a respectable record against the sisters and is, I believe, the last (only?) player to beat both of them at a Grand Slam. She outlasted Serena and then spanked Venus at the 2001 Australian Open only to fall to Capriati in the final. That said, the majority of Hingis' wins came when the sisters were babes in the tennis woods, free-swinging teenagers with little clue how to construct a point. As the sisters' games evolved, they simply surpassed Hingis.

Here's some food for thought: the best doubles player since Martina N. might well have been Martina H. (That Hingis won a Grand Slam title with Mirjana Lucic as a partner tells you all you need to know.) Anyway, we're slowly facing the reality that we've likely seen the last of Hingis as a singles player. But what if Hingis took a cue from her namesake and -- after laying low for a decade or two to let her foot heal -- returned to the tour as a doubles-only player? Just throwing the possibility out there....

· Chionophile
40,217 Posts
"That said, the majority of Hingis' wins came when the sisters were babes in the tennis woods, free-swinging teenagers with little clue how to construct a point. As the sisters' games evolved, they simply surpassed Hingis."

Well Venus first beat Martina in her 4th match, and Serena first beat Martina in her 3rd match. I don't think you can use that argument. Or are you willing to discount their wins too.

N.B: Venus is OLDER than Martina :eek:

· Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sam L said:
"That said, the majority of Hingis' wins came when the sisters were babes in the tennis woods, free-swinging teenagers with little clue how to construct a point. As the sisters' games evolved, they simply surpassed Hingis."

Well Venus first beat Martina in her 4th match, and Serena first beat Martina in her 3rd match. I don't think you can use that argument. Or are you willing to discount their wins too.

N.B: Venus is OLDER than Martina :eek:
Tell it to Wertheim. He wrote it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.