Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or will the abscense of Venus and Serena, and injury to Lindsay, take some of the luster out of her shining moment.

Suppose she wins the Open, will that satisfy those hounding her about being number one w/out a slam? Or will she have to win a slam where all the leading contenders are in the field?

· Registered
19,459 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Or will the abscense of Venus and Serena, and injury to Lindsay, take some of the luster out of her shining moment.

Suppose she wins the Open, will that satisfy those hounding her about being number one w/out a slam? Or will she have to win a slam where all the leading contenders are in the field?
Yes it is the right time. No one will ultimately care that the WS were not there. It could help her get over her chokiness, if indeed that is what's holding her back.

· Registered
713 Posts
No, I just don't feel that she will. I think her best chance will be at the Aus Open, that is her best surface by far.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
Knizzle said:
Yes it is the right time. No one will ultimately care that the WS were not there. It could help her get over her chokiness, if indeed that is what's holding her back.
right time to win GS for herself,
bad time to win with her #1 ranking.

I disagree,
I'm willing to bet if Clijsters does win you'll not find one article that doesn't have V&S's absence mentioned.

I think she'll get respect for winning but not
full credit for the win by sportswriters.

If she doesn't win it'll only add fuel to the fire of her not being the true #1 and that even with the Sister's out and Davenport(the only previous champion in the draw) injured she still can't win.

Enough of the speculation,
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

· Registered
17,877 Posts
oh you know Shriver will mention the fact that the WS were not there at AO, FO and Wimby next year and whatever other tourney ESPN decides to show. If Pam was commentating on golf, she'd find some way to relate it to Venus and Serena. :tape:

Kim better take this opportunity and RUN with it. She shouldn't repeat her bleak performances in the FO finals. I just think this is THE chance. She proved her consistency now it's time for her to prove her tenacity. Best of luck, Kimmy!

· Registered
22,221 Posts
VCR said:
ultimately it WILL be forgotten. and i dont see the big deal about lindsay being injured. kim so has her number already.
I think the fact that they weren't there will fade,
but it won't be forgotten any time soon.

Lindsay being injured is a big deal.
She never had great mobility to begin with but it has been
better than some previous years. With her injury all you really need to do is move her from side to side and she'll eventually breakdown, playing the top players like Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Capriati, and possibly Rubin as well.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I think it is the right time with her being no.1 in the world and not having won one. After the US open i expect people to say she only won it cos V&S weren't there but with the injuries both of them have if they did show up then she would have only won cos they were injured. She cant do anything about it and neither can anyone else, she should just go to the open like the other 100 odd women are and try and win. There have been so many if's and but's about people winning GS like steffi wouldnt have won so many if monica had been around, martina had no competion when she was playing, now kim can only win without V&S. Its all bull!!- yu can only play who is in tournament.

· Registered
1,459 Posts
because WS are not there, Clijsters is expected to win, thus this will put more pressure on her to win. If she wins, it will b expected, but if she doesn't we can blame the pressure, but now is the time to win a grandslam being number one in the world.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
VCR said:
i meant against kim. when was the last time she beat kim?i mean, this year, she took a set off kim, and in one match, kim demolished her in 59 minutes. it was the 6-3 6-3 one.
OCT. 02'

When did Lindsay develop this injury?

I'm just saying that Lindsay is far from
what we all know she is capable of.
I also made reference to her because she's the only player left in the field to ever win this title.

· Registered
22,221 Posts
tyk101 said:
because WS are not there, Clijsters is expected to win, thus this will put more pressure on her to win. If she wins, it will b expected, but if she doesn't we can blame the pressure, but now is the time to win a grandslam being number one in the world.
I partly agree.

However, I think as far as the media is concerned,
she's damned if she does(V&S aren't there) and
she's damned if she doesn't(V&S aren't there).

She said she'll put no pressure on herself to win because
V&S are out and she is expected to being the #1 ranked player and all.
So, it's just a matter of wheather or not she can stand the heat, that's all really.

· Registered
17,877 Posts
2003: lindsay vs. kim
2003 Sydney Hard (O) FR Kim CLIJSTERS 4-6 3-6
2003 Indian Wells Hard (O) FR Kim CLIJSTERS 4-6 5-7
2003 San Diego Hard (O) SF Kim CLIJSTERS 3-6 3-6
2003 Los Angeles Hard (O) FR Kim CLIJSTERS 1-6 6-3 1-6

Lindsay has lost three finals to Kim this year. The foot is a problem but she has gotten to finals. This would leave one to believe that the problem is 1) mental, 2) Kim's strategy, or 3) both + foot problem.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I must admit having no serena or venus in the draw is gonna make the thing less exciting, cos even though they might have made it an all williams final (something i am bored of seeing), yu know there would have probably been some great quarter-final and/or semi-final matches involving them both. Also if kim wins then yu are gonna have an excellent Aussie open if everybody is fit, cos it will hopefully add even more confidence to her game.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.