Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a hate thread on Maria, I repeat THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD ON MARIA, but I do remember all the WS hater and Justine hater dissing them, but I won't go there. I said it once and I will say it again Maria winning Wimbledon at 17 was an omen people start expecting to much for her putting pressure on her to win slam after slam and it won't happen. Maria is not Martina H, Serena or even Venus. Those young girls at the time was just way to talented at their young age, something that just won't be repeated just like there won't be another Jordan, they are just too gifted. What I hope will happen is the media, tennis commentators, and her fans will lay off of her for a while so she can get herself back in top form, and for once stop making excusses for her, she loss today to a better gifted player and most likely will lose to her again. People came down on Martina H for saying there was nothing special about Maria's game thinking Martina was dissing her but she wasn't, Martina played Maria before the WS, Lindsay, and Jennifer only they were better. So Maria fans stop hating Martina and other tennis players or it could come back and bit you.

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Definitely! I love Maira to death, but she needs to take a break from tennis and then get it back together :hug:

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
tennisjay said:
This is not a hate thread on Maria, I repeat THIS IS NOT A HATE THREAD ON MARIA, but I do remember all the WS hater and Justine hater dissing them, but I won't go there. I said it once and I will say it again Maria winning Wimbledon at 17 was an omen people start expecting to much for her putting pressure on her to win slam after slam and it won't happen. Maria is not Martina H, Serena or even Venus. Those young girls at the time was just way to talented at their young age, something that just won't be repeated just like there won't be another Jordan, they are just too gifted. What I hope will happen is the media, tennis commentators, and her fans will lay off of her for a while so she can get herself back in top form, and for once stop making excusses for her, she loss today to a better gifted player and most likely will lose to her again. People came down on Martina H for saying there was nothing special about Maria's game thinking Martina was dissing her but she wasn't, Martina played Maria before the WS, Lindsay, and Jennifer only they were better. So Maria fans stop hating Martina and other tennis players or it could come back and bit you.
:confused: I don't think so...

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Sharapova simply needs to realize that her brand of tennis will not get her past #5 (once everyone gets their shit together). She'll keep losing in the SF, and will only win mid-level tournaments and have a Mauresmo-ish career.

NOT that thats a bad thing. However if shes going to fulfill all of her potential, she needs to add some new elements to her game.

And the problem with "I'm only 18" is that you play your BEST at 18. Thats your peak physical age. She has 2-3 more years and then nothing comes easy anymore.

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Someone probably made the same thread last year after IW...the girls just made the SF of a Tier I, coming off a Grand Slam SF with no preparation. Things mightnt be going beautifully for her right now, but we've seen many times in the past how players can turn things around. Maria is strong and with time will reach her best.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Does anyone know if Yuri was courtside watching this match?
I would love to see how he was behaving watching Maria get thrashed by someone who came back after 3 years+ to tennis!
Haha!

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
And1bsk310 said:
Definitely! I love Maira to death, but she needs to take a break from tennis and then get it back together :hug:
You are so two-faced. :eek: One minute you act like Sharapova is your favorite and next you act like you want her to be gone forever. :tape:

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jedem said:
The end? :spit: She's not even 19 yet. She still hasn't even come close to her best tennis yet.

Yes and the WS, Jennifer, Lindsay, Kim, Justine, Momo, and other players are not at their best either. So yes Maria is 19 so what even at her best she still can't beat any of those players at their best. Look at what happen when she came up against Venus's best at Wimbledon, but you will probably say Maria wasn't her best back then either. Question is when will she be at her best?

·
Most Loved Member
11,184 Posts
Though I doubt she will ever beat Hingis, she can still take on anyone else on the tour ;)

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Hm... Well, her game is so one-dimensional, even more so than Dokic, at least she has a fantastic drop shot. She will have limitations.

She has been trying to add more shots to her game, but I think she does it very half-arsedly. I mean, this new 'slice backhand' of hers does jack all. She's going to realise sooner or later she needs to make big adjustments to her game if she wants to be a tennis great.

Is it the beginning of the end? If she doesn't come up with a game that is all about power, then yes.

I'm a Masha hater, but I have tried not to incorporate that into this post. :p

·
和平.
16,977 Posts
Well, she's still so young, and have very good results, even if not global wins. So no.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HilaryDuffFanboy said:
Hm... Well, her game is so one-dimensional, even more so than Dokic, at least she has a fantastic drop shot. She will have limitations.

She has been trying to add more shots to her game, but I think she does it very half-arsedly. I mean, this new 'slice backhand' of hers does jack all. She's going to realise sooner or later she needs to make big adjustments to her game if she wants to be a tennis great.

Is it the beginning of the end? If she doesn't come up with a game that is all about power, then yes.

I'm a Masha hater, but I have tried not to incorporate that into this post. :p

Well said and I respect you for that, I not a hater even though I've been called one. I noticed when you try to be balanced here espeically when it comes to Maria some how her fans think your jealous of her supposed beauty. I've been hard on her yes, but I also come down hard on Venus, Kim, Justine, Momo, Lindsay, Patty, Dem and speically Serena and her weight gain in the off season, when she should have been more fitter than she was coming into the AO this year. The only thing I can't stand is the media, commentators and her fan constant praise of her, I have to turn down the volume on even turn the channel to keep from hearing them sometimes, but that I try not to do in order to do my part in keep the tennis ratings up.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
tennisjay said:
Yes and the WS, Jennifer, Lindsay, Kim, Justine, Momo, and other players are not at their best either. So yes Maria is 19 so what even at her best she still can't beat any of those players at their best. Look at what happen when she came up against Venus's best at Wimbledon, but you will probably say Maria wasn't her best back then either. Question is when will she be at her best?
And Serena wasn't able to beat Maria at her best either. So it comes down to who is playing better to win a match. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

·
Registered
24,451 Posts
i really hope that sharapova is disgusted with that match, and she has a few weeks to get her shit together, so hopefully she does. she's gonna slip down the rankings a little, that's for sure. she won in doha and had a semi at indian wells and a final at miami. she'll really have to get her ass in gear if she wants to have a prayer at defending those points.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jedem said:
And Serena wasn't able to beat Maria at her best either. So it comes down to who is playing better to win a match. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

Serena was at her best for someone coming back for knee surgery, my point is that everytime Maria lose her fans and tennis commentators always come up with some excuse. When Serena beat her at last years AO Mary C had the nerve to say the better player didn't win, now if the better player did win who did. :confused:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
No offense but ROTFLMAO. I just read on Yahoo!Sports that Hingis beat Sharapova and I wanted to see the fallout on WTAWorld. What I was really looking for was a "Should Maria Retire?" thread. This is the closest I came to finding one.

We really need to step back and keep things in perspective. Sharapova has more Grand Slams left in her. It's funny that some are even thinking about the end for her. She's already really good and will only get better.

Oh and BTW, Congrats Hingis. :bounce:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts