Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SI Vault - June 26, 1989 - Page 92

Is that Steffi in the pic with Ted Tingling? I've been stuck in an SI archive look ever since the VS Champs '77 article was posted in the Chris Pics thread. When I came across this article I remembered staring at it in the beautiful but urine soaked Berkeley public library in summer '89. At that time I swore it wasn't Steffi and I still think it's a mistake. Did Steffi EVER have her hair all spiked like that? I know Martina and Valene Ewing on Knots suddenly both did at the exact same time in 1987 (I was mortified). But Steffi? And did she ever pose with her shirt rolled up like Jennifer Beals as Castro Qween? :grin2:

·
25,282 Posts
When I came across this article I remembered staring at it in the beautiful but urine soaked Berkeley public library in summer '89. At that time I swore it wasn't Steffi and I still think it's a mistake. Did Steffi EVER have her hair all spiked like that? I know Martina and Valene Ewing on Knots suddenly both did at the exact same time in 1987 (I was mortified). But Steffi? And did she ever pose with her shirt rolled up like Jennifer Beals as Castro Qween?
OMG this post had me ROLLING on the floor Mark:haha:

I won't ask about the library-ok? The other comments were so funny though. Thanks for my laugh of the day. More please!

Perhaps a thread called "Random thoughts by Mark43" or something similar.

·
Registered
371 Posts
"There is no danger that Titanic will sink. "
"The Beatles have no future in showbusiness."
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

Tracy Austin on Graf: "There are a hundred like her back in the States."

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, Rollo. If you've ever been near the beautiful Berkeley public library, main branch, your nose would tell why instantly. Haha. It's a lovely Art Deco building, but quite pungent!

Does anyone know who Teddys punky blonde is?

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh okay, thanks Rollo. Yes the article was in summer 1989. It looks more like Jana than Steffi. I find it hilarious that SI would try to pass her off as Steffi in a big multipage article. Even though there was no caption, in the pic above it's Steffi with Schmeling and below one would assume the young blond hugging Tingling was her as well.
Jana sure had some crap hairdos! God, I miss her. That arching of her back on each serve that just made you ache looking at it. Those crisp volleys. The anticipation of her unfortunate collapses. As much as I hated the outcome of the 1993 Wimbledon, it was one of the dramatic exciting matches ever. Just unbelievable. So Hana! And hearing Hana screaming Ai Jana (that's what it sounded like to me) was surreal.

·
Registered
484 Posts
That doesn't look to me like Jana at all. I have a feeling it might not even be a WTA player; it could just be a relative, friend, or acquaintance of Ted's.

·
25,282 Posts
I think it's a WTA staff member or a tournament director. Definitely not Steffi or Jana.
I surrender as it was a tentative identification on my part. Is there any way to blow up the SI pages?

At any rate to show I'm not TOTALLY bonkers here is motorcycle mama Jana Novotna from 1989.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh wow, that's such a great time capsule. Fabulous Jana looks so different from how I remember her. She could be the grand marshal of the dykes on bikes parade 2016 in this pic!

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
I surrender as it was a tentative identification on my part. Is there any way to blow up the SI pages?
I'd love to blow them up because they are impossible to navigate on a mobile device. The attachment clearly shows that she's not Jana. Maybe Mark can track down Heinz Kluetmeier and demand more details.

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Jana definitely had spiky hair at times, and there were different "styles of spike", but that's just not her face.

That Jana by the bike pic is one I'd never seen before. Interesting.

As for the woman by Ted, I would guess that the author of the article didn't care about the woman next to Ted; he just needed some available pic of the man to put in the magazine.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
U.S. Open Women's Matches : Graf Doesn't Waste Time Against Minter
September 1, 1988
LISA DILLMAN
The Los Angeles Times

[...]

Once again the Women's International Tennis Assn. has managed to surpass last year's effort in the calendar department. Each year, the group issues a calendar featuring 12 of the world's top female players wearing enough makeup to keep the cosmetic sponsor's stockholders happy.

In 1989, tennis fans will see a new degree of questionable taste. Gabriela Sabatini, clad in about as much zippered leather as Michael Jackson, is posed getting out of a car.

Or perhaps she's getting ready to meet Jana Novtona's motorcycle gang. Novotna, is featured standing next to a cycle with a helmet in her hand, looking like a poorly dressed new-waver.
Actually, she looks like she could be the model for an early 1990s cartoon set in a post-catastrophic early 21st century world.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts