Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First President Bush being surprised and asking whether there are also blacks in Brazil..

Now Agassi with this:"Against anybody who speaks Spanish, it's a good win out there. Brazilian, Spanish, Portuguese, all of it -- those are all good wins out there. Today was real good for me."

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
And that Chris Fowler dude said Brazil was a Spanish speaking country too, didn't he--and then he corrected himself I think.

That country is so misunderstood. On top of being obsessed with Brazil, I have a Brazilian roommate-- so I am pretty educated about it. But still, how hard is it to know the basic history and stats about that country?!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Its not at all hard. But first people would need to be interested in knowing. Not a casual person who has an "obsession" like you put it Nwando.
It's a matter of behavior on your country as a whole. The rest of the world is not at all important when you can fly around your own bellybuttom.
We dont know loads about your country or the others, but we definitely get more information on global history it seems.
Oh well... What do we small bugs from the banana-samba land want? :eek:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
But, I mean, how much do people know about African countries and Asian countries?! People are only interested in Spain and France and blah, unless you have some sort of infatuation for some different place that isn't the typical vacation resort. How many times do people say to me, "Do you speak Nigerian?" Um, I would speak it if the language existed. I can say that's ignorant, but I'm over it by now. So I change my mind-- I won't cry any country a river. There are people everywhere like that who don't know their shit, and you and me don't know our shit about some place or other. LOL! Tough luck.

The thing is, these Americans just happen to make ALL Americans look bad by putting a mistake out there, outloud for everyone to laugh at. Very unfortunate

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Yeah. I agree. I don't even think they teach geography anymore in U.S. schools.

I don't get it. I mean, at one time I memorized all the countries and their capitols. How hard is it to do that? Not very. And I remember that we had geography bees... like spelling bees. And we would name all the countries that major rivers went through, and what countries bordered them... etc. I thought it was fun.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
ys said:
Now Agassi with this:"Against anybody who speaks Spanish, it's a good win out there. Brazilian, Spanish, Portuguese, all of it -- those are all good wins out there. Today was real good for me."
I think Agassi was correcting himself in the 2nd sentence :confused:

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
I didn't know one person represented all Americans... this is good to know in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Agassi sounded like he was corrrecting himself to me too ... as for Bush, did he even go to school because stuff like this seems to be standard for him!

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Though maybe it's a job requirement - I seem to recall Reagan confusing Austria with Australia once which is not a good look when you're trying to sign a treaty!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mrs_Guga said:
The thing is, these Americans just happen to make ALL Americans look bad by putting a mistake out there, outloud for everyone to laugh at. Very unfortunate
It reflects that Americans don't care about other countries. They are not average Americans you pick on the street and ask them what's the language use in Brazil.

Andre Agassi has been in the professional circuits over 15 years. He has the chance of meeting all other players from all over the world. And he should somehow know more about other countries than average American. But I do give him the benefit of doubt that it slipped his mind, consider he is 33 years old. ;)

For Bush, what can I say! It does not only reflect on the ability of the President himself but also his administration when committed error like that.

The same apply to Chris Fowler. This is not his first assignment on GS tennis and he should do a much better research before he open his mouth.

·
Registered
747 Posts
And to response to the topic "Is there some problem about what they teach about Brazil in US schools?", I think the problem is schools are so busy in teaching patriotism and the 50 states in US, who care about the countries outside USA. Let alone countries in South America. They know very little even their next door neighbours, Canada and Mexico!

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
ys said:
First President Bush being surprised and asking whether there are also blacks in Brazil..

I don't think he's correcting himself, because brazilian as language doesn't exist, I guess he's just talking about nationalities.
Anyway is always sad when people (no matter where do they come from) commit this kind of mistakes....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Though maybe it's a job requirement - I seem to recall Reagan confusing Austria with Australia once which is not a good look when you're trying to sign a treaty!
Ummm, that's not just Reagan, quite a few Americans make that mistake. Though it does always provide us with lots of amusement :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sam L said:
Agassi was indeed correcting himself and he is right. He forgot Brazil and Portugeuse speaking players so he added them.

Bush, blah who cares what he says anyway? :confused:
Agassi was correcting himself?? And he is right??
So I speak Brazil language? :p
Anyway, we speak Portuguese. And not everyone walks around naked. We have electricity since a long time ago, and we can actually live like a civilization. ;)

Seriously, it's not a matter of one person representing all "americans". It's a matter of COMMON knowledge in your country. You can't deny you have a "closed stance" approach to international stuff. Why should culture be different?

As Scott said, you can learn geography through books or by your own interest. But its all gonna be up to YOU. It wont be easy to find.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
well,it's all about being interested in other stuff outside your country...

last year in the US,I was asked a couple of times if we had winter all year long in Poland :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
PS said:
well,it's all about being interested in other stuff outside your country...

last year in the US,I was asked a couple of times if we had winter all year long in Poland :rolleyes:
:worship: Thank you. There are people EVERYWHERE who don't know all about every country. Like I said, people ask me if I speak Nigerian--and not just Americans. LOL! And Nigeria is a pretty publicized country, so... people can't know everything, no country is more worthy of being knowledgable about than the other--in my opinion. I just think this is not worth it.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
hitman said:
Anyway, we speak Portuguese. And not everyone walks around naked. We have electricity since a long time ago, and we can actually live like a civilization. ;)
You don't live in a hut and live on hunting in the jungle? :eek:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts